PDA

View Full Version : My Htpc Rev. A

ragejg
08-27-03, 12:30 PM
Specs to follow...

:D:D:D

Yes, I'm a happy and proud man all the sudden.... :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=182420

Dazz
08-27-03, 03:24 PM
Oh man i have got a headach!!

ragejg
08-27-03, 08:45 PM
Specs:

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ kt266a mobo
XP2400+ @ srock fsb
All Copper thin-fin cooler/7k fan (too loud :p )
256mb samsung PC2100
ATI Radeon 8500 AIW dv edition
WD400BB 40gb 7.2k hard drive
52x24x52 CDRW (LG I think)
LG 12X DVD
SB Audigy OEM
netgear nic
Cybertron case
No-Name 400w PSU with decent rail strength
ATI Remote Wonder
USB Playstation controller adapter
IBM Webcam
AOpen cordless keyboard/mouse setup
Canon BJC-3000 printer
HP 5300C Scanner
Motorola SB4101 Cable Modem
Netgear RT311 Gateway Router
Netgear FS105 5 port hub
Aiwa AV-D78 500W dts reciever
5 pc 100w aiwa speaker set
2 1970's full range full range speakers
50W 8" Aiwa Subwoofer
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Pico (daughter loves it... isn't nvidia's 1st chip in it? :p )
Crappy Emerson 4-head VCR
Dish Network reciever
27" Samsung tv

... it's all in there... the Pico and playstation controller are the only things in the cabinet on the right... I'm just happy that I have that much stuff all contained RIGHT THERE...

And NO, the tv isn't that bad to view... to use windows on... to GAME on... it's all a matter of setting the thing right... and setting the vidcard contrast/brightness/color temperature right...

The 8500DV completely fits the bill... I gotta rma this one (has bad ram... it only reports 32mb even after a bios flash... so at least it still works right now), but I'm getting another one back... but anyway, it's more than adequate for running all games @ 8x6, always some AF, and a little AA too somethimes...

I have my dish network reciever feeding to the radeon... I'm just now learning the ins and outs of the whole PVR thing... I really dig bein able to keep my tv broadcast in a window... sheesh, I've been wanting to do that since like '92 when the first hauppauge tv cards came out...

I know, I need a bigger HD... I have 2 18.2gb 10K SCSI Cheetah's, but might just end up putting those in my server, as I REALLY need to throw an 80 in there...

More ram's gonna go in there as well... I'll probably throw a 512 stick o samsung in there pretty soon...

kt266a? yep... and it's still gonna last me a while... I'm keepin this mobo (I've had it since April '02) till well into next year, when I'll throw it's last cpu, a *wire tricked* XP3200, in it...

...I'm keepin the vidcard for a while as well... it just isn't slow to me yet...

I'm also gonna ditch the playstation controller for a Lik-Sang Joybox for X-Box controllers... they're the best controllers IMO for FPS use IMO... split screen SSSE anyone? :D

AND... I have yet to properly enable 5.1 sound... gotta get teh right cables yet...

Well, like I said, it's revision A... work in progress... no it's not perfect, but I think it's pretty nifty... and it's useful too!!

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 09:23 PM
Cool. Just watch out for the PSU man. I know, i know, most people say 400W is more than enough for almost any PC, but yours is pretty...loaded let's say. Any of the latest AMD or P4 based computers will start with a 300W PSU, but if you've got lot's of peripherals on it, you'll see some fireworks when you start pushing it. Just don't judge it by thinking "hey since the rig starts normally, the PSU shouldn't be an issue". Keep an eye on it when it's under FULL load OK? BTW, i like your case. And is this a VCR i see on the shelf? Can you tell me the brand?

ragejg
08-27-03, 09:38 PM
heh, the vcr? it's a crappy emerson 4 head...

:D Thanks for the compliments... and yeah, regarding my PSU, I'm watching the rails, and they're ok thus far...

:)

NAZCA M12
08-27-03, 10:48 PM
Emerson? Like Emerson Fittipaldi? Heh heh, crappy or not, it's pretty.
-thinks of his Salora '86 VCR...-
Now that i see it again, it looks even better. It's very stylish.

marqmajere
08-28-03, 05:13 AM
DREAMCAST!! :eek: All TRUE gamers should own one, imo. :p :D

ragejg
08-28-03, 07:23 AM
Yep... I don't have too many games tho... but enought to still have fun with it...

Soul Calibur
Unreal Tournament
NFL 2K1
Chu-Chu Rcket
Super Magnetic Neo
House of the Dead 2 (I gotta get some Light guns!!)
Evil Dead; Hail to the King

I also dabble in Playstation Emulation, and have:

Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix
Gran Turismo 2
Tekken 3
Bloody Roar 2

And then there's my small PC game selection:

Unreal2
Old UT
SSSE
MOHAA
ArmyOps
RTCW: ET
Oni

...not too many full game, huh? Well, I keep myself busy with lots and lots of demos... yeh, I love broadband.... :p

shadowless
08-31-03, 09:15 PM
nice bro, congrats

ragejg
09-06-03, 09:54 AM
I'm presently trying to figure out the whole remote wonder plugin/dish network thingy... cuz MAYBE I can use the remote wonder to change dish channels... maybe not... I'm a n00b in that respect, and have a lot to learn... I wanna do the PVR thing with this, but am seriously confusigated about it... I'm gonna spend some time @ rage3d and see what I can learn... The folks in the Remote Wonder/AIW sections are very helpful.

:)

ragejg
09-08-03, 08:50 PM
and I've just added this as well...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=189571

This will sit with the rest of my home theatre pc (or whatever it is) components, but soon, me runs the LAN cable and puts it in another room... Our IT guy at work sold 2 of em, 1 to me and 1 to my friend grumpyguy... for only $40!! These things are way easy to operate... I just GOTTA organize my music directories now...

plus this week I got a 4 port usb hub finally, $10 from IT Guy... and a 64mb pendrive for $20...

goodies, yay... ;)

I can't seem to find any info on how to or where to get Guide+ though... hopefully my threads on rage3d threads get some hits and replies...