PDA

View Full Version : Is this the "flicker"?

lothodon
08-27-03, 08:40 PM
ok, picked up a 5900 today (NON ultra) and noticed, to my horror, that when i go from a black website background to a white one, my screen width shrinks up to 2" on a 22" monitor.

is this the "flicker"? without a doubt this card is going back tomorrow, but holy crap, if anyone actually puts up with this they are NUTS.

i've got an antec true 430w ps on an abit nf7-s 2.0 if anyone cares.

Gareth
08-27-03, 08:51 PM
Um.

No.

CaptNKILL
08-27-03, 08:58 PM
Did you let it sit for a while to warm up? Maybe its needs to be burnt in (???),

Also, try degaussing the monitor. Other than that, I dont know what could be causing this.

Try changing your refresh rate too.

lothodon
08-27-03, 10:16 PM
it was the refresh rate, went from 85 to 100 and it went away...oddest thing i've ever seen.

i do still have the annoying buzz when i mousewheel, but once i close up my case and put it back under the desk i'm sure i won't hear it.

i guess 85hz is NOT the refresh rate to use, easy fix at least.

Clay
08-28-03, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by lothodon
it was the refresh rate, went from 85 to 100 and it went away...oddest thing i've ever seen.

i do still have the annoying buzz when i mousewheel, but once i close up my case and put it back under the desk i'm sure i won't hear it.

i guess 85hz is NOT the refresh rate to use, easy fix at least.

FYI, I have a Hitachi CM721F @ 85Hz and a BFG FX 5900 Ultra and never experienced anything like this.

yoladude
08-28-03, 06:57 AM
um............time for a new monitor i think.

SeriousWorm
08-28-03, 07:46 AM
lol.. for such a minor thing the guy nearly bought another gfx card and a monitor... :rolleyes:

euan
08-28-03, 07:56 AM
Usually that's the sign of a poorly regulated HT transformer in the monitor (or is it some other supply?). But I suppose the Video cards can also effect the horizontal scan rates, so it is possible that the card is the cause. 2" is extremely bad. Any more than a few mm, and I would say you had a crap monitor (or VGA card in this case).

The way to tell is try another card, maybe you just never noticed you had a crap monitor until now? :D

lothodon
08-28-03, 10:23 AM
you guys need a clue, it was the video card, all the way. took it back and got a different one and no problems even at 85hz.

hmm, my viewsonic pro series p225fb "suddenly" turned into a "crap" monitor just by putting in a 5900, i think not.

crap card i'd lean toward, no, i'll own that statement, it WAS a CRAP CARD.

Clay
08-28-03, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lothodon
you guys need a clue, it was the video card, all the way. took it back and got a different one and no problems even at 85hz.

hmm, my viewsonic pro series p225fb "suddenly" turned into a "crap" monitor just by putting in a 5900, i think not.

crap card i'd lean toward, no, i'll own that statement, it WAS a CRAP CARD.

Just try to ignore people that appear to be trolling. There is a legitimate concern about flickering with some FX and Radeon cards (I stress some because I've not seen flickering on two FX 5900 Ultras and two Radeon 9800Pros, both from two different vendors).

I suggest you post your system specs over at this forum to help add another case study to the mix:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16004

Good luck with your replacement card.