PDA

View Full Version : Powering up computer shows nothing

tyreth
08-28-03, 05:46 AM
Hi,

I just purchased a Geforce FX5200 today, and am having no luck getting it working. When I power on my computer, it beeps like normal, hard disk light stays on solid for about 5-10 seconds, cdrom and dvd drive do some scanning, then nothing.

All this time there is nothing visible on my monitor.

If I put in my old card (GeForce 2 MX400) then it works perfect.

I put the new card into my parents computer which is an older motherboard+cpu, then my new FX5200 works!

Any ideas what might be causing troubles? I'm guessing something in bios, but I really have no idea. I've tried unplugging various things (hard disks, sound card, dvd, cdrom), but no fruit. It's really getting on my nerves.

Thanks
Mark

tyreth
08-28-03, 06:09 AM
I just updated my bios and that didn't help.

I should add in that my motherboard is an ASUS A7V133.

Athlon t-bird 1333mhz processor.

saturnotaku
08-28-03, 07:10 AM
Might be a motherboard compatibility issue. Or the power supply. Try swapping the power supply from your parents' machine into yours and see if it works.

tyreth
08-28-03, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Might be a motherboard compatibility issue. Or the power supply. Try swapping the power supply from your parents' machine into yours and see if it works.

If it's a motherboard compatibility issue, any way to resolve it? I've tried updating the bios on mine.

Anyway, going to try PSU.

tyreth
08-28-03, 08:09 AM
I tried the PSU from my parent's comp, no luck.

The Baron
08-28-03, 08:46 AM
Either the card is bad or it doesn't like your motherboard.

(note to self--read the friggin post)

Okay, so the card isn't bad... there's a good chance it's simply not compatible with the motherboard (but why that would be, I don't know)--maybe AGP voltage needs to be raised slightly? if it posts and doesn't flip out with the beeping, that's a good sign.

tyreth
08-28-03, 08:52 AM
Nothing is displayed on the screen in my computer, at all. It stays in standby the whole time. the motherboard doesn't beep during boot with the 5200 in, but it does if I run it with no gfx card in.

The Baron
08-28-03, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by tyreth
Nothing is displayed on the screen in my computer, at all. It stays in standby the whole time. the motherboard doesn't beep during boot with the 5200 in, but it does if I run it with no gfx card in.
ooh. I think you're just SOL then...

tyreth
08-28-03, 08:57 AM
SOL? Straight Outta Luck?

The Baron
08-28-03, 08:59 AM
Yup--if it's not posting with the card in the machine and you have the latest BIOS, something is officially wonky.

Rampant CL
08-30-03, 03:37 AM
Try REALLY forcing it in to the agp slot, as i've known a lot of annoying graphic cards which just let the pc beep on a blank screen unless someone is near to leaning them into the pc.

USE THE FORCE>

tyreth
08-30-03, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Rampant CL
Try REALLY forcing it in to the agp slot, as i've known a lot of annoying graphic cards which just let the pc beep on a blank screen unless someone is near to leaning them into the pc.

USE THE FORCE>

I did try this already :) So hard that the pcb of the motherboard sounded like it might not be enjoying it.

Still didn't work.

Anyway, I 'solved' the problem by returing the Auriga card and replacing it with a Leadtek of the same chip (FX5200).

Thanks.