PDA

View Full Version : Bye Intel

Pages : [1] 2

The Baron
09-10-02, 06:21 PM
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/253/business/Intel_chip_to_include_antipiracy_features+.shtml

netviper13
09-10-02, 06:22 PM
Wow that sucks. Hope AMD doesn't decide to follow.

volt
09-10-02, 06:44 PM
It was actually AMD and Microsoft that came up with this idea. I don't remember the link though, sorry :|
I'm hoping NVIDIA (lol) will think about CPU production. I think the market has 1 more spot for a biggy like them :>

Matthyahuw
09-10-02, 07:52 PM
Maybe there's a hope for a real VIA CPU now!

volt
09-10-02, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Maybe there's a hope for a real VIA CPU now!

ditto that! hahah, whatever they have now is simply...umm not useful :rolleyes:

sbp
09-11-02, 01:12 AM
These companies keep pushing this stuff. What about we the users want? Oh sorry we should only pony up the moola and be quiet. http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/eviltongue.gif

vampireuk
09-11-02, 05:59 AM
Think ill go pick up a few XP2600's soon in case AMD decide they want to turn into plebs too

Gator
09-11-02, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Think ill go pick up a few XP2600's soon in case AMD decide they want to turn into plebs too

good idea! Grab'em while you can! Kinda like the Celeron 300 (old timers will remember that overclocking gem)

I dunno though, Anti Piracy features built-in to a main CPU? Sounds a little fishy to me, Inquirer worthy. And even still who knows, maybe some motherboards will have a builtin feature to disable that anti-piracy nonsense. And if Intel is crazy enough to do this, it might open the market for even more competitors which means lower prices!!! :D

Hmmm... SIS CPU... I'd try it! :eek: :cool:

Chiles4
09-11-02, 11:32 AM
Putting that big brother crap into a processor is like having devices built into our vehicle to track our whereabouts. I can understand having the anti-piracy stuff built into software but putting it into a processor is sheer lunacy.

Most people fear privacy intrusions and the loss of liberty from our government - not many fear or suspect the real "sleeper" - big business.

Hey, Cyrix makes processors! :p

PCarr78
09-11-02, 01:12 PM
"Intel chip to include antipiracy features"

F*CK that ****.

Amd for me, then.

Matthyahuw
09-11-02, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Chiles4
Hey, Cyrix makes processors! :p uuuhhhh, VIA bought Cyrix...

Essense
09-12-02, 12:03 AM
sounds crappy to me. If there's an alternative availible with similiar performance i'd buy it over that crap anyday. However, we may find outselves stuck with little option. In such case I'd go with what I always do, price/performance.

Regards,
Mike

Kruno
09-12-02, 08:57 AM
I want pure performance with anti-big brother hardware :D

LORD-eX-Bu
09-12-02, 02:26 PM
Bah this sucks! Screw Intel! crap! I just ordered my new P4 today, haha, but nah, good thing it doesn't have that gay crap on it. We can crack it, work around it. This is just stupid stuff. This reminds me of the Octium 4 thing on the first episode of "The Lone Gunmen" on fox, you know... the first episode when they stopped that 747 from crashing into the World Trade Center, hmmm..eerrieeeeeee......:eek:

vampireuk
09-12-02, 03:16 PM
So this wont be stuck in the hammers when they come out?

Just have to make sure:D

SavagePaladin
09-12-02, 10:57 PM
AMD said a while back they were pissed off that anyone was connecting them with Palladium.

Just a note

Kruno
09-13-02, 02:04 AM
Thank the gods for AMD!!! :D

LORD-eX-Bu
09-13-02, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Thank the gods for AMD!!! :D

Eh, AMD and Microsoft first came up with this idea.;)

Kruno
09-13-02, 02:35 AM
Well at least AMD are smart enough to relise they will gain customers by having Intel go through with it and AMD not. :)
Manipulate the market is the game :)

LORD-eX-Bu
09-13-02, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Well at least AMD are smart enough to relise they will gain customers by having Intel go through with it and AMD not. :)
Manipulate the market is the game :)

There is no info stating that AMD is not going in that same direction. Both companies stand to lose alot of consumers if they decide to go down this road. Including me. ;)

Feanor
09-17-02, 08:45 PM
Boy are they moving fast. There was announcement before with Palladium and TCPA hardware that they would first include this crap in chipsets, and move it into the CPU. However, it seems like phase 1 is being skipped altogether here and Intel is moving straight to phase 2. If AMD includes this sh*t and especially if Senator Hollings manages to get his pet bill through Congress, I wonder if there is an x86 CPU manufacturer cross seas which is good, but doesn't tend to sell to US markets. I'd rather pay international shipping, hell even buy on a black market rather then buy this crap...

LORD-eX-Bu
09-17-02, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Feanor
Boy are they moving fast. There was announcement before with Palladium and TCPA hardware that they would first include this crap in chipsets, and move it into the CPU. However, it seems like phase 1 is being skipped altogether here and Intel is moving straight to phase 2. If AMD includes this sh*t and especially if Senator Hollings manages to get his pet bill through Congress, I wonder if there is an x86 CPU manufacturer cross seas which is good, but doesn't tend to sell to US markets. I'd rather pay international shipping, hell even buy on a black market rather then buy this crap...

Give it some time, we will mod it. There is always a way. Besides, worst case scenario, Intel and AMD crash, then we have new chip makers out there, bigger and better ready to eat up whats left of the two idiots that decided to play games with its consumers.:D

styles-T
09-17-02, 11:47 PM
looks like Ill stop upgrading..

:rolleyes:

StealthHawk
09-18-02, 09:56 PM
what's wrong with Palladium, you can turn it off :rolleyes:

Feanor
09-21-02, 12:17 AM
And if anyone remembers the critisism of the Processor Serial Number, depending on how it is turned off, it might be possible to switch it back on again without the user's knowledge. No, I will not even allow it to be in my machine. As I remember, it was possible to switch the PSN back on through a procedure which included sending the comp into hibernate mode, making the change, then bringing it out again. Following certain discoveries of how this could be turned back on without the user's intervention, the government of China also considered it a security risk and their security ministry advised that no computer with a PSN (whether the person turned it on or off) be allowed on the Internet which well...

No Palladium for me. If it has it, I do not want the product... When Intel announced the PSN, I refused to buy a Pentium III which included it also... My stance on CPRM on the hard drive was the same. They include it in the hardware, I'll boy cott the God d*mned product. My mind is made up on TCPA hardware, and beyond the possibility of PR reps from these companies or Senator Hollings changing... Even if I have to resort to buying over seas or what not, I will chose that over, well... Senator Hollings and the RIAA can go shove it with their TCPA, bills such as as the SSSCA, and everything related, for all I care. I oppose what is being pushed, and more importantly much of the thinking behind the intended implementation of TCPA hardware. I also adamantly disagree with some of the implied definition of what security is, though some definitions might be applicable in a military/national security application, would argue they are totally mis-guided in a resedential application where the user is also the owner of the machine. I also disagree with some of the thinking about what does or does not need to be secured and from whom and for whom, which seems to under-lie things such as TCPA and the argument for a system which is "trusted"...

My opposition would be meaningless if I wasn't willing to put my money where my mouth is however. So I will vote with my money, rather then just buy and then complain after I already bought into it...