PDA

View Full Version : Possible (expensive) fix for scroll noise/whine?

Ruined
08-28-03, 08:27 PM
Someone on the MSI board upgraded their PSU to an Antec TruePower 550watt, and stated that it made his scroll noise and noise during 3d apps go away entirely on his FX5900 (though he still experiences flickering, but to a somewhat lesser extent.) Anyone here have an FX5900 and an Antec TruePower 550? Apparently Enermax 550's don't help the scroll noise, but the Antec 550 might... Anyone else got one and an FX5900?

Ruined
08-28-03, 11:00 PM
I'll give it a go, we'll see if there is any difference between an Antec TRUE430 and TRUE550.

Malfunction
08-28-03, 11:13 PM
I have a FX5200 Ultra and Tru Control 550 Antec PSU along with Belkin 800VA PSU... and still get the scroll sound only on webpages. No flicker, so that solution wouldn't be very valid.

Just trying to save you money in the long run is all...

Peace,

:)

Ruined
08-29-03, 12:50 AM
Hmm. Maybe not worth trying then.

ringu61
08-29-03, 03:40 AM
I dun have any problem.
I got EPOX 8KRA2+ KT600 Chipset Board with Enermax 350W
I used to have problem when I had ASUS A7V8X with Enermax PSU

Jeffus
08-29-03, 06:45 AM
I think I'm the person Ruined is talking about :D I'm not saying it would resolve everyones issues.. but it certainly has mine. It also gave me 1200ish more points in 3DMark2003, so the lack of juice was also having a performance problem too.... I know now (for me!) it was down to power but it seems there are so many other factors which may or may not affect other peeps (i.e. MOBO???).... which in it's self seems odd??

The fact is that my PSU is twice/three times more quieter and the clicking noise has completeley gone...... so I'm a happy bunny now (well apart from the flicker/quiver on some games) and the buggy 45.23 drivers that have screwed up one of my fave LAN games MOH!!! FOG! Beware the FOG!!

But more seriously the clicking noise was awful, I know that my PSU was a bogstandard one as I never really considered power before (all beilt that I wanted at least 400w)... I had to make a desision whether to risk buying another PSU or not.... I took the desision knowing at least I would have a better PSU... and I must say THANK FECKING HELL that I did 90 well spent!!

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith....... but look 1st!!!

Descombobulator
08-29-03, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Jeffus
I think I'm the person Ruined is talking about :D I'm not saying it would resolve everyones issues.. but it certainly has mine. It also gave me 1200ish more points in 3DMark2003, so the lack of juice was also having a performance problem too.... I know now (for me!) it was down to power but it seems there are so many other factors which may or may not affect other peeps (i.e. MOBO???).... which in it's self seems odd??

This jump in 3DMark score is weird. How much work would it be to whack in your old power-supply to see if you can get repeatable results?

Your typical synchronous ASIC doesn't just go slower when the power rails sags. It usually malfunctions big-time. I can't wait to hear what nVidia say about this, it's got to be a goodie.

Jeffus
08-29-03, 08:25 AM
I agree! I was dumbfounded when I saw the 3DMark2003 results too!! But I must say I've not overclocked or anything... I just installed the new PSU and gave my GFX card a dedicated power point........

I sheepishly turned on the PC and waited for the tell tail clicking noises....... Nothing, the PC runs so quite I could hear a pin drop (well, OK a big pin then)... silence............ WOW!! I shouted much to my wifes dissapproval........;) OK (i thought) lets have a look at some games (after moving a couple of windows around on my desktop (with no noises!!!).. So I loaded Vietcong.... (all without speakers turned on or turn on low) no noise!!! OK, FS4 no noise!!!, MOH:AA + SH no noise (but FOG is funky 45.23 drivers :( ), ok BH Down no noise!!!...

OK, they suffer with flicker but having said that, almost eliminated in most games.. it seems that BH Down is the main culprit...... with a little in otrher games

I could re-insert my old PSU but to be honest I'm a bit retisent to do so...

I was just stunned by the immediate lack of noise from the card!! To be honest I wasn't overly convinced about the power situ.. but now I'm a believer.........

I decided to run 3Dmark2003 again and I checked against my last results and I was again stunned!! Another funny thing here, when playing Priates of the Carib.... i noticed that I had to shut down my machine (fresh boot) or it wouldn't load after playing another 3D game... now I've chaned my PSU I no longer need to do this..... work that one out!!:angel:

The Baron
08-29-03, 08:30 AM
Forum member Ricercar played with this a while back--his results are quite interesting. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15632)

Descombobulator
08-29-03, 09:04 AM
I suppose that your results and those on the other thread do make some sense.

The card must have at least two clock domains. One locked to the AGP bus for command/data transfers and one to drive the internal core functions.

Most drivers allow the core and memory clocks to be independently set from the AGP bus, so I suppose that makes it at least 3 domains.

If this is the case, I suspect that if the on-card power regulators allow the rails to drop (because of a weak PSU), the core and memory clock generators are being affected, which will show up in benchmark tests. The reason the GPU doesn't crash is that the clock domains are designed to free-run with respect to each other anyway. So small frequency variations will be tolerable.

The fly in this ointment is that several people have found probems even with 550W Antec PSUs. Hmmm, wonder if some PSUs cannot cope with a very sharp increase in load?

At least we can have some fun speculating, until nVidia report next week.:)

gokickrocks
08-29-03, 01:44 PM
run the video card off of a seperate dedicated PSU...