PDA

View Full Version : is there any reason to buy fx?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

heedory
08-28-03, 11:59 PM
I read all threads in this forum then I must say that nv35 is another big failure

now, I can list the weak point of fx
cheating, flickering, poor IQ, horrible performance of PS2.0.. etc..

but, I failed to find any strong point of 5900.

why did you buy fx?

I need consolation :cry:

reever2
08-29-03, 12:26 AM
Its not a failure, just a really bad design choice...

StealthHawk
08-29-03, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by heedory
I read all threads in this forum then I must say that nv35 is another big failure

now, I can list the weak point of fx
cheating, flickering, poor IQ, horrible performance of PS2.0.. etc..

but, I failed to find any strong point of 5900.

why did you buy fx?

I need consolation :cry:

Of course there are strong points to the gfFX. Some people have problems with ATI. It is perceived that NVIDIA's drivers are better. NVIDIA offers great FSAA performance. Titles are being developed with exclusive NVIDIA effects as part of the TWIMTP program.

The NV3x series is not all bad. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fanboy. Although, that doesn't mean NV3x is for everyone. And that certainly doesn't mean that NV3x is better than R3xx. Each individual has his or her own needs and needs to evaluate each product and see if it is acceptable or not. No one can decide on the purchasing criteria for you.

Bopple
08-29-03, 12:50 AM
1. Doom 3 and its derivatives - FX will be slightly faster with slightly lower IQ. - though this is not particularly a strong point, at least not a weak point.
2. HW compatibility issues - though that can happen to FX also, it still can be a factor.
3. Linux

PS) Heedory, you must be a member of parkoz. who are you there?

RipItup
08-29-03, 01:02 AM
I agree with the other posters here that it is not all doom and gloom, it is easy to get into that way of thinking and I do myself. Maybe it should be thought of as being good whereas other products at present are excellent.

It just could be the biggest problem with the 5900 FX series is the pricepoint. If they were a lot cheaper it would be a lot easier to gloss over it's weaker points and bring out its good points.

Maybe the 5900SE will be the answer, the memory speed looks like Ati's 9700Pro when it came out, the core faster or slower depening on application it is running. What will it be price at though ?

Regards

Andy

PS Why are there so many moderators ? Can I be one, promise to moderate all posts except my own ;)

heedory
08-29-03, 02:23 AM
Thank you for reply.
but anyway, I never have been disappointed with nvidia's product from riva 128 before fx...
I really hope nvidia to do better on nv40

ps. to bopple
How can you notice that?
I can guess who you are there...
I'm the one known as 'moon face' before and now 'nori006'
:)

Dazz
08-29-03, 05:40 AM
I must say nVIDIA need to increase their PS2.0 speed by 70% atleast, otherwise the newer games that it was desgined for will run badly on it.

Ruined
08-29-03, 06:05 AM
Stability - go check out the Rage3D forums.

Hanners
08-29-03, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Ruined

Errr.... *checks out this very forum*

I rest my case.

Gator
08-29-03, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Hanners
Errr.... *checks out this very forum*

I rest my case.

LOL! Ya Hanners makes a good point. Someone is always gonna have a technical problem with a product even if the guy sitting next to him doesn't. There are other factors involved like is the card defective? Do they have a clean Windows installation? What kind of motherboard do they have? Do they have all the proper drivers? Is their other hardware conflicting with the video card? etc

To say unconditionally that ATI is unreliable just doesn't make sense.

An example of what happen to me: In this motherboard I've had Radeon 64ddr Vivo, Radeon 8500, and GF4TI4400. The Radeon 8500 gave me lots of issues, but the other two worked great (one ATI and one Nvidia) so I can't say one company is to blame. What happen is I've read of other people getting mixed results with R8500 + SIS735 chipset, and since I liked my motherboard I choose to switch video cards instead. Does that mean ATI sucks? No, it just means one of their cards didn't work with my system but the one before it worked fine.

Back on topic though: There are also GFFX success stories, but what happens on a forum like this is you mostly just read the horror stories. I'm sure for most people the GFFX works fine, and if you want one then go for it. My only recommendation is buy a 5600Ultra rev2, or any of the 5900's. The 5800 is simply too noisy by design and too expensive considering you only get 128bit memory bus, the other 5600's are also a little underpowered although reliable, and the 5200's are WAY underpowered and you'd be better off with a GF4TI in their case.

NKVD
08-29-03, 07:46 AM
Why did I buy FX 5900 ? Because I was stupid and bought a brand new card right when it hit the market before I found out it had flickering problems, and crappy performance in PS2. Now it is in RMA process and Im getting 9800 PRO till better times.

EDIT: removed masked expletive. --Sy--

Sazar
08-29-03, 07:50 AM
they look pretty :cool:

Templar
08-29-03, 08:41 AM
All those idle transistors in the FX chip heat your room during cold winters.

digitalwanderer
08-29-03, 08:46 AM
Collector's item? If nothing else the NV3X series has definately carved out it's own niche in geek-history. :)

NKVD
08-29-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Templar
All those idle transistors in the FX chip heat your room during cold winters.

100% PURE BS! I had mine with 2 huge heatsinks - DIDNT HEAR a thing with closed box, and certainly didnt feel any heat :p :D

ragejg
08-29-03, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by NKVD
Why did I buy FX 5900 ? Because I was stupid and bought a brand new card right when it hit the market before I found out it had flickering problems, and ******* performance in PS2. Now it is in RMA process and Im getting 9800 PRO till better times.

NKVD please read rules about swearing and the swear filter...

///MOBILE FLIBBLE UNIT DEPLOYED///

Edit the words or they will be edited please.

Thank you...

Dazz
08-29-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Templar
All those idle transistors in the FX chip heat your room during cold winters. And they cook you during summer ;)

B&R
08-29-03, 10:03 AM
The only FX i would buy is 5600U rev.2. That is the best card of theirs imo for its class.

reever2
08-29-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Ruined

Of course its gonna seem like theres a lot of problems since theres no forums for saying how great your card is

Grrrpoop
08-29-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by reever2
Of course its gonna seem like theres a lot of problems since theres no forums for saying how great your card is
And Rage3D has 42,000 members compared to nVnews' 9000 which probably distorts the perceived number of reported problems :)

Hanners
08-29-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
And Rage3D has 42,000 members compared to nVnews' 9000 which probably distorts the perceived number of reported problems :)

Not to mention that people tend to make a billion threads about exactly the same thing. :p

NKVD
08-29-03, 01:33 PM
Thats why I don't go to rage3d forum anymore because if I go there I won't make myself to buy ATI card, and after RMAing my FX 5900 I am looking forward to buy Radeon 9800 PRO. Hopefully I won't come back to that forum, this time to seek help :D

saturnotaku
08-29-03, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop

It's even less than 9k here at nV because many, many people are 1-post wonders who only go to the Linux forum. The number of active posters at both forums is probably not more than 25-30% of the total number of registered members.

fivefeet8
08-29-03, 02:37 PM
I chose an Fx5900u simply because it was what I needed. Like a lot of people, I use to think about future dx9 games and performance, but then I concluded, there isn't going to be a lot of directx9/ps2 games until next year at the earliest. All of the games I'm playing right now are dx8.1/ps1.3/ps1.4 games. Plus a hobby of mines seems to prefer Nvidia cards at the moment. ;)

Maybe next year when there are a lot more variety in dx9/ps2 games, then I will take a look at the offerrings again. The cycle will start again. I've pretty much given up on the idea of buying a video card for future games since in the future, there are newer and better video cards. As long as the games(emulated and PC) I am playing right now are performing/looking the way I like, that's all that matters. And right now, the few dx9/ps2 games that are out or coming out soon are graphically impressive, yes, but not really my cup of tea. Remember it's not all about graphics. A sucky game still sucks even if it had the best graphics around.

Another subjective thing I really wanted was Digital Vibrance controls. It's effects on older games and emulated games is quite nice.

So far, I haven't experienced any problems(no flickering, no noise) with the card and it's performance in the games that I actually play are impressive. The IQ, unlike what most seem to say, is top notch. Infact, someone at a different board with both a Fx5900u and 9800pro says the IQ on both cards are pretty damn close. It's all subjective as always.

So in the end, it all comes down to what each individual's needs are and what they are looking for. I'm probably in the minority here with my ideals, but that's fine as well. Hell, I still keep my Voodoo 5 pci around for certain things. :D ;)

NKVD
08-29-03, 02:41 PM
I feel you. The reason I changed my FX 5900(nu) and getting 9800 PRO is because Im getting big azz monitor to play games at 1600x1200 with at least 4xAA and 4AF enabled. And im definitely looking forward to play Half Life with full quality.