PDA

View Full Version : no more "geforce" names for nvidia chips

Pages : [1] 2

alienthrylos
08-29-03, 08:32 AM
ya know i believe that nvidia should change the name of its graphic chips. Nv40 shouldn't be called "Geforce". Nvidia needs a new name. Since ati has given nvidia a hard time, nv40 must hae a name that would signal it's coming back to top and the crash of all opposition by any competitor's chips.
I have thought of a couple o names.
Howabout AFTERMATH or DRAGONFLAME?

Dazz
08-29-03, 09:09 AM
I belive ATi are going to change their name after the Radeon 9900, nVIDIA? Well i think they will go all the way to 9900 also before they change it.

Richthofen
08-29-03, 09:28 AM
why change that name?
for what?

It is the strongest graphics chip brand.
There is no reason to change that name.

Templar
08-29-03, 09:46 AM
They should name it.. GeeForce or Flamethrower refering to the heatwave which will result from using it.

Simon

aapo
08-29-03, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by alienthrylos I have thought of a couple o names.

I get it! They are anagrams, right? Like FART ME HAT and MEAN FAG LORD. :D

GlowStick
08-29-03, 11:32 AM
The Geforce name is here to stay, but id like to see them bring back the TnT name.

Dazz
08-29-03, 12:19 PM
FlameForce, designed to be flamed by FanATIc's

euan
08-29-03, 01:01 PM
Instead of Detonator, the drivers should be called "alternator" for the changes performed to visual output, and the on/off effect cheats seem to have with each new driver. (sorry "bugs" and "optimisations") :D

Grrrpoop
08-29-03, 01:25 PM
I think GeForce is too established a trademark for them to just abandon it.

But I admit it'll have to change at some point.

Already been used by too many other products (hardware and software) but Phoenix or Firebird would be appropriate names if nVidia can grab the performance crown with nV40 :)

StealthHawk
08-29-03, 04:27 PM
Hey, remember, the NVIDIA CEO said last year that NV30 wouldn't be using the GeForce moniker...and that obviously never happened. I see no reason why they would abandon it now.

rokzy
08-29-03, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by alienthrylos

no offense, but those are the crappest names I've ever heard

saturnotaku
08-29-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Grrrpoop
Already been used by too many other products (hardware and software) but Phoenix or Firebird would be appropriate names if nVidia can grab the performance crown with nV40 :)

And if Mozilla doesn't trademark the names first. ;)

GeForce isn't going away any time soon. And in the same vein, Radeon won't be leaving either. Too much brand recognition. But look at it this way, the GeForce monkier hasn't been around for too long when you put it up against such well-known marks, like Corvette for example.

SlyBoots
08-29-03, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Hey, remember, the NVIDIA CEO said last year that NV30 wouldn't be using the GeForce moniker...and that obviously never happened. I see no reason why they would abandon it now.

seems like Jen Hsun was wrong about a few things:)

LordSpawn
08-29-03, 07:32 PM
The Flickermaster Banshee TI 200!

Geforce4ti4200
08-29-03, 07:38 PM
how bout lightspeed for ati and fastcheats for nvidia? :p

Dazz
08-29-03, 07:59 PM
And the whinomatic ultra 5 million.

Rogozhin
08-29-03, 09:06 PM
I kind of like "the mainframe"

rogo

Matthius
08-29-03, 09:42 PM
holy crap man, no offence, but their the stupidest names i've ever heard for a video card. you may as well call it the twinkletoes 2000 card u morons. :rolleyes:

Grrrpoop
08-29-03, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
And if Mozilla doesn't trademark the names first. ;)
hehe yup, I'm usin Firebird right now ;)

And personally I think "Firebird" is crap compared to "Phoenix", should have stuck to the old name.

And yeah, nVidia will milk geForce for a while yet, even non-techy ppl know that know that name, as the strong sales of GF4mx's shows..

Matthius: everyone has different ideas on what constitutes a good name for a product.

If nvidia called their next product the nVidia HotAnus FX6600 I would almost certainly buy it for comedic value alone.

I guess that's why I don't work in marketting.

Unit01
08-30-03, 05:15 AM
Poop :p

CapsLock
08-31-03, 04:30 PM
OK- just had to log in to thank everyone for the LOLness of this thread.

Some shining moments to look back upon:

AFTERMATH (???!!!!!!, hmmm, yea, righhhtttttt)

FART ME HAT, MEAN FAG LORD (go aapo, LMAO)

Alternator (instead of detonator, simply brilliant!)

FlickerMaster (hehe)

TwinkleToes 2000

BUT easily winning the bunch, Grrrpoop:

nVidia HotAnus FX6600 :afro2: :jumping:

Ok, you've just read them again and they really weren't that good the first time. So sue me. :banghead:

Caps

Geforce4ti4200
08-31-03, 11:45 PM
hotanus? lmao would be popular among men living an alternative life style, heck why not call it hotman, I like that name better :D

alienthrylos
09-01-03, 05:36 PM
ya know this thread really makes me rofling! Well there are lotsa silliest names in the history of the graphic cards like
verite (from Rendition)
t2r -ticket to ride (Number 9 R.I.P.)
Rampage & Napalm a.k.a. Voodoo 5&6(?) from 3dfx
The reason for this post is that i don't like to see graphic chips and graphic cards been marketed as cellphones.
Names should have more charm instead of "Geforce fx 5600" or "radeon 9700". It shouldn't be like nokia 6310 and ericcson p800.
Any comments on this?

The Baron
09-01-03, 05:41 PM
See, those video card names were from an era when cool new video cards were for insane enthusiasts, not The Average Joe.

Greg
09-01-03, 08:18 PM
If nVidia were Microsoft....

They would start with:
nVidia video card 1.0 (which no one ever used)
nVidia video card 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 (which gain much public acceptance, though only mathematicians could work out the pattern of version numbers.)

Then they'd 'simplify' the versioning so the customers dont' get confused that, say, a 4MX is really not as good as a 3:
nVidia video card 1998
nVidia video card 2000 Q1
nVidia video card 2000 Q4
nVidia video card 2000 Q4 Value

But then they realise products are shipping late and they just remind customer how old their card is compared to the competition so:
nVidia video card Me
nVidia video card XP
nVidia video card FX

By now they dominate the market and are too focused on how the next model should be named, while the competition makes progressively faster and cheaper product, with larger and larger numbers like 8500, 9200, 9800, 9997, eventually working toward 'Infinity plus one' and 'say hi to your momma for me'.

But nVidia is NOT microsoft, so we dont' have to worry about new products costing $500, but only fixing a few bugs in the previous version.