PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Management... Get your little pocket notebooks out..

Hellbinder
08-29-03, 08:48 PM
This is a textbook example of what is different *Currently* between ATi and Nvidia. Oddly enough a couple years back this type of thing was exactly the opposite. Nvidia was the involved ones and ATi lived in a cave.

From Rage3d main page.

Came across this tweak guide today over at TechSpot, and I must say this was one of the most detailed and well thought out articles that Iíve seen that covers tweaks and such for ATiís Rx00 series. A must read for sure!

If something should be said about ATI, is the impressive way they managed to accomplish many things in a relatively short timeframe. Beyond releasing the first truly DirectX 9 graphics card, they also got to beat NVIDIA in terms of performance and drivers development, which still happens to come along extremely well, and that last thing is something we probably never have thought just a couple of years back.
This guide will take you through configuring your system for best compatibility/performance along with your ATI Radeon graphics card, covering options available with the latest Catalyst Drivers. For reference sake, this guide was prepared using an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AGP video card using an Abit NV7-133R nForce (AGP 4X) and later an Abit NF7-S nForce 2 (AGP 8X) motherboards running Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Catalyst 3.5/3.6 Drivers.

Just finished speaking to Terry Makedon, Catalyst Maker through out several forum boards, and this is what he had to sayÖ

"That is a very well written and thorough article. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this Thomas. I have also asked all our software managers to have a look at this guide and help with any ambiguous or inaccurate points"

Sure there are still differences is Hardware and Drivers. Sure some people still favor one company or the other etc. But I think we can all agree that this kind of insane community involvement by Senior ATi management is what Nvidia *needs* to get back to.

Here is crossing our Fingers that ATi continues this style and Nvidia Gets just as involved. It could make for some really enjoyable times for everyone.

The Baron
08-29-03, 08:49 PM
Meh. It's true. The best PR for high-end cards is involvement in the high-end community.

saturnotaku
08-29-03, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Meh. It's true. The best PR for high-end cards is involvement in the high-end community.

And pretty soon you'll have the entirety of said community eating out of the palm of your hand. They say "jump," community responds with "how high?" I salute them for a job well done.

StealthHawk
08-30-03, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Sure there are still differences is Hardware and Drivers. Sure some people still favor one company or the other etc. But I think we can all agree that this kind of insane community involvement by Senior ATi management is what Nvidia *needs* to get back to.

What did NVIDIA do in the past? By the time I started following video card communities NVIDIA was already The Company.

The Baron
08-30-03, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
What did NVIDIA do in the past? By the time I started following video card communities NVIDIA was already The Company.
I think near the end of 3dfx's life, NVIDIA was The Enthusiast Company... or something. Before my time.

digitalwanderer
08-30-03, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ronin_razors
Talking about supporting gamers, ati's support of the ECTS show in London wasnt exactly sparkling. www.ects.com
You linked me to a form to register for the show...what is your point?

ronin_razors
08-30-03, 09:36 AM
ECTS is one of the biggest shows in the gaming industry. Its where developers and publishers go to show off their latest titles, get industry support and sell their games. Its also where developer support is organised.

You can see that ati's stand was no more than a small room, compared to nvidia which is making a major contribution to the games industry with its developer support. nvidia had a major stand and presence at the show.

Even the extremely pro ati biased fudo made comment
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11250

Oops wrong link - see here;
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11238

digitalwanderer
08-30-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by ronin_razors
ECTS is one of the biggest shows in the gaming industry. Its where developers and publishers go to show off their latest titles, get industry support and sell their games. Its also where developer support is organised.

You can see that ati's stand was no more than a small room, compared to nvidia which is making a major contribution to the games industry with its developer support. nvidia had a major stand and presence at the show.

Even the extremely pro ati biased fudo made comment
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11250

Oops wrong link - see here;
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11238
Thanks for the links Ronin, I'm off to read 'em and make some inquiries. :)

EDITED BITS:
ATI had a very small booth just for meetings, with the Radeon 9800 PRO running inside but it decided to sponsor another parallel event, the Games Developers conference Europe that was taking place at the same conference centre. ATI decided to spend its money on a huge party that it held yesterday for developers, press and friends just around the corner. ATI is still not ready to talk about R360 and RV360.
Methinks that explains it. (Bolding mine)

Hellbinder
08-30-03, 10:33 AM
This thread is about *Community Involvement*

But as you can see Dig answered the Question about Developer Involvement.