PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Fan For A Athlon 3000 That Money Can Buy!

seizetheday4eva
08-31-03, 05:08 AM
Well I am now very worried about my CPU overheating and getting damaged because my Thermaltake Xaser 3 case is showing the temp as 53c Idle and when I play games 61c which I think is very hot do you?

Also I am using the fan that came with the CPU by AMD!

So do you think 61c is too much and if so what is the best cooler money can buy that will keep my CPU cool, I was looking at the Cool Master Aero 7 (Cooper).

I live in the UK so I need a popular fan that is not too hard to get hold off, the price does not matter.

Dazz
08-31-03, 05:14 AM
The reason it powers down at 70C is to give time to turn off the power to protect the CPU. 60C under load an't to bad but if you want something better then this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Coolermaster_122.html#ahs_2d006_2 dcm

seizetheday4eva
08-31-03, 10:17 AM
Ok i'm going too buy the CoolerMaster Aero 7+ what do you think off it? I done a Review search of it to find out what other hardware websites thought about it and it got excellent reviews from everyone, so do you think it will do a better job then my AMD Athlon fan and heatsink that I got with my Athlon XP 3000+?

The Baron
08-31-03, 10:43 AM
If money's no object, get a Thermalright SLK900U and a Vantec Tornado. Well, if you can stand really loud fans...

Sean P.
08-31-03, 11:03 AM
61*C is VERY hot for that CPU...

I'm with the Baron recommending the Thermalright SLK-900 series...For air-cooling, there is nothing better. The key here is what fan you use. Although higher CFM/RPM fans will yield cooler temps, the vast majority of them do so at the expense of silence. The Tornado ( as Baron said ) is VERY loud...Look around the net and find a fan with a balanced CFM/dB combo and see how far down you can drive those temps!

If price is not an object, you would do well to look at either watercooling or an extreme cooling system like a Vapochill or Promethia. You can get out of watercooling rather cheap and achieve significantly cooler temps over air-cooling. Check out Danger Den (http://www.dangerden.com) for some of the best setups you can buy. For the ultimate temps though, the Vapochills and Promethias are the final answer. You can get temps roughly -10*C or lower with these units! :eek:

digitalwanderer
08-31-03, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Sean P.
61*C is VERY hot for that CPU...

I'm with the Baron recommending the Thermalright SLK-900 series...For air-cooling, there is nothing better. The key here is what fan you use. Although higher CFM/RPM fans will yield cooler temps, the vast majority of them do so at the expense of silence. The Tornado ( as Baron said ) is VERY loud...Look around the net and find a fan with a balanced CFM/dB combo and see how far down you can drive those temps!

If price is not an object, you would do well to look at either watercooling or an extreme cooling system like a Vapochill or Promethia. You can get out of watercooling rather cheap and achieve significantly cooler temps over air-cooling. Check out Danger Den (http://www.dangerden.com) for some of the best setups you can buy. For the ultimate temps though, the Vapochills and Promethias are the final answer. You can get temps roughly -10*C or lower with these units! :eek:
Hmmm...that would work on a Barton 2500+ too, wouldn't it? I'm thinking it would do me a bit better than the stock cooler.... ;)

Sean P.
08-31-03, 11:09 AM
LoL...

I feel the need to fire-up that punch-Digi game... :bash:

:D

seizetheday4eva
08-31-03, 12:21 PM
Sean P.

MAN YOU HAVE GOT ME REALLY WORRIED NOW :confused:

I AM NOW SCARED TO PLAY VIETCONG BECAUSE THE TEMP ONLY HITS 61C WHEN I PLAY GAMES

OH WELL MY NEW CoolerMaster Aero 7+ SHOULD KEEP THINGS COOLER!

AMD'S WEBSITE SAYS MY CPU CAN GO UPTO 85C!

digitalwanderer
08-31-03, 12:39 PM
LoL...

I feel the need to fire-up that punch-Digi game... :bash:

I'll take that for a "yes". :)

Hey, you would not believe how cheap I was on this upgrade! I kept it under $200 out of pocket for the mobo/memory/cpu on Bubbles and still got my wife honked off at me!

ANY investments in me rigs right now is a huge expense. :rolleyes:

Sean P.
08-31-03, 01:34 PM
Sorry man...I thought you were being sarcastic asking whether the exotic cooling solutions would be "enough" for a Barton 2500+.

Overall, great job getting the most bang for the buck...and never EVER tell the woman when you buy something...Install everything late at night...they'll never open up the case to see if anything's new! :angel:

Sean P.
08-31-03, 01:39 PM
OH WELL MY NEW CoolerMaster Aero 7+ SHOULD KEEP THINGS COOLER!

Do yourself a favor and buy soe good thermal compound such as Arctic Silver...Apply just enough to cover the face of the CPU without being able to fully see the CPU die underneath...They key here is getting the layer as thin as possible, otherwise it acts as an insulator.

Another cheap way to get cooler temps is to increase the amount of air circulating through the case. The best heatsink/fan combo won't be nearly as effective if it only circulates hot air. Go through your case and see if you have enough air intake on the front and proper ventilation out the back. Buying some new (higher CFM) case fans for about $20 total can make a night and day different in temps...

Let us know how those temps are when you get the new heatsink!
Good luck!

CaptNKILL
08-31-03, 02:50 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy soe good thermal compound such as Arctic Silver...Apply just enough to cover the face of the CPU without being able to fully see the CPU die underneath...They key here is getting the layer as thin as possible, otherwise it acts as an insulator.

As good as that SOUNDS, its not 100% true. It works great like that for a few hours\days (depending on how thin your layer was) but AS3 evaporates. Check for yourself. Lift your heat sink and look at your CPU, there will be parts of the die with ZERO thermal compound on it. Thats what happened with my K7S5A. I had a freind do what you said (partially transparent layer of AS3) and my CPU ran at 45C stock. When I reinstalled my heat sink later, I noticed that half the compound was gone. I put a little more AS3 on it and my temps never went above 38C.

My advice would be to put a layer on the cpu that isnt transparent at all, but isnt a milimeter thick. Like make a layer thats paper thin (where as most people will say make it half as thin as paper.. or less). Lots of people say AS3 evaporates, look around at overclocking forums and you'll see it.

Dazz
08-31-03, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
If money's no object, get a Thermalright SLK900U and a Vantec Tornado. Well, if you can stand really loud fans... You should also bare in mind the size of a 92mm HSF is going to take and won't fit all boards, also they tend to be for more advanced people, why recomend something that can crush his core if he an't careful?

digitalwanderer
08-31-03, 03:31 PM
I personally go about a mil and a half with my thermal paste, but I'm awful clutzy and fat-fingered so it ain't like I got a big choice. ;)

EDITED BITS: BTW Pelly, thanks. I'm a totally AMD newbie and I'm just confused if a heatsink for a 1700 will fit a 2500+....I think I have an old FOP38 in a drawer somewhere..... :D

The Baron
08-31-03, 04:53 PM
Panaflo fans are very popular for their good CFM/dB ratio. I have a 92mm Sunon fan that blows 48CFM or something like that--does its job and is almost completely silent.