PDA

View Full Version : fx5900ultra???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

kmf
08-31-03, 02:38 PM
I have a very inportant question. I have only been gaming with a pc for about a year, before that it was consoles. my spouse and i enjoy games but dont really care for the popularity contest's that seem to plauge game consoles and as i reacently discoverd,"video cards". my question is will the fx 5900 ultra play games such as doom 3, ut 2003, and half life 2 with all the little goodies turned on with at least 4x aa mode? i currently have an Asus ti-4400 and am having problems playing rune" wich by no means is a new game". turning left to right is choppy, and i cannot really use any AA.

system specs are: XP 2200+
: GIGABYTE GA 7VAX 8X BLAH BLAH.
: 1 GB PC 3200
: WD 40GB HD 7200 RPM

digitalwanderer
08-31-03, 02:49 PM
Not as well as the 9800 Pro will, not by a long shot. :)

Dazz
08-31-03, 02:55 PM
Yes it will play them great, although you might want to look for some like a FX5900 regular, the FX5900Ultra is way over priced and the XP2200+ won't get the fullest out of it. The only real diffrence in the regular is the 50MHz core increase and 128MB ram which won't be used for quite some time.

digitalwanderer
08-31-03, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yes it will play them great
Ok, I'll give ya that D3 will run well on it...but HL2's own Gabe Newell is recomending the 9800 as the card for HL2.

There are real hardware problems when it comes to PS 2.0 with the FX series and it will have trouble with any future games that use them.

MUYA
08-31-03, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yes it will play them great, although you might want to look for some like a FX5900 regular, the FX5900Ultra is way over priced and the XP2200+ won't get the fullest out of it.
Just a word, on the topic of the GeForce FX 5900 regular, it quoted is around $400 usually . But if you are in the US you can get a BFG FX 5900 for $299!

www.bfgtech.com

Might be worth your while or....you could get the 9800 non pro for the same price as well! :) Your choice dude!

kmf
08-31-03, 04:29 PM
dude? haha! like i said i dont know a whole lot of things about graphics cards, and every review i read seems a little biased, whether its nvidia or ati. i was told to definatly stay away frome pny versions of the fx, and tru that $482.00 is a little steep, even for an asus card.

Ruined
08-31-03, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Not as well as the 9800 Pro will, not by a long shot. :)

Funny, I didn't see the original poster mention ATI or the 9800 Pro. He just asked if the 5900 Ultra will run Half Life 2 and Doom 3 with 4X FSAA/ansio/etc turned on. And it will. No need to derail the thread.

So to answer the original poster: yes, it will run HL2 and D3 with FSAA and the goodies... kmf: IMO I'd snag one of the MSI FX5900 Ultras (or non ultras) if you can find one... Has the best/quietest cooling solution out there.

Dazz
08-31-03, 06:10 PM
To tell you the truth i don't think any cards will be able to run it at FSAA 4x & AF 8x, unless it's 640x480 or maybe 800x600.

rokzy
08-31-03, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by kmf
my question is will the fx 5900 ultra play games such as doom 3, ut 2003, and half life 2 with all the little goodies turned on with at least 4x aa mode?

no

kmf
08-31-03, 11:19 PM
funny how all the people who say no own ati cards..hmmmm? have you a 5900 ultra? or is that just an opinion? i would like to hear frome people who have them if thats not asking to much.?

Rogozhin
08-31-03, 11:23 PM
It won't

even with an opteron or p4 3ghz machine

The radeon might though if the reviews at beyond3d are any indication.

I personally wouldn't shell out the dough for a nv35 if I was itching for dx9 games

rogo

Rogozhin
08-31-03, 11:24 PM
It's kind of funny how people that aren't regulars like to point out inanities.

rogo

Valias
09-01-03, 02:49 AM
ive got a 2800xp and a leadtek 5900ultra and it runs all games nicely at very fast frame rates with everything turned on at 4AS/8AF and 1280 1024 no overclocking so from a 5900ultra user i can say it will definantly be running
anything with these turned on at beautifull frames
Anybody that dissagrees either doesnt have 5900 or got a dodgy card.

Sazar
09-01-03, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Valias
ive got a 2800xp and a leadtek 5900ultra and it runs all games nicely at very fast frame rates with everything turned on at 4AS/8AF and 1280 1024 no overclocking so from a 5900ultra user i can say it will definantly be running
anything with these turned on at beautifull frames
Anybody that dissagrees either doesnt have 5900 or got a dodgy card.

hl2 will have more advanced shaders... and as has been shown the nv3x lineup does not have good advanced shader speed... ps 2.0 specifically...

therefore it is unlikely one will be able to run @ 4xAA with all goodies turned on @ a high res on hl2...

@ lower res.. yes...

same probably true for radeons though the ps 2.0 speed is superior from all that has been shown this far...

kmf
09-01-03, 03:50 AM
thanks Valias,& sazar. i will no doubt be needing a cpu upgrade as well. this will have to be my final upgrade untill im ready for the atholon 64, wich wont be for some time. forgive me Rogozhin for pointing out that some one had a clearly biased opinion, and had obviously not even purchased one. i forgot that i was a "newb". thats what you meant to say wasnt it?

kmf
09-01-03, 03:55 AM
oh, and why does it say riva 128 below my initials?

Sazar
09-01-03, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by kmf
oh, and why does it say riva 128 below my initials?

as you post more... your 'rank' will improve.. or you can change your title to something else in the User CP..

kmf
09-01-03, 04:05 AM
oh, lol. i was about to say, who the hell is riva?

ChrisW
09-01-03, 04:13 AM
It should run UT2003 just fine with 4xfsaa. I don't think any card will be able to run HL2 or Doom3 with 4xfsaa at any decent speed. The 5900 can't even run Tomb Raider with all the settings at max so I seriously doubt it could run the more advanced games at the speeds you want. Maybe you should wait for the next generation of cards to be released.

Dazz
09-01-03, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by OWA
I have a PNY 5900 Ultra (why did they say to avoid PNY?) and I don't feel like I can even play some of the older games like MOHAA with all the goodies turned on. But, it really depends on the game. BTW, this is even without using AA or AF. With AA and AF it's not even close to being playable (in my eyes). It also depends on how you define "playable" and smooth gameplay (i.e. no stutter, jerkiness or whatever). I've had friends tell me their graphics were silky smooth only to discover, that to me, it wasn't even close to being smooth. So, it's probably subjective.

Anyway, like some others have already said, I'd say "no" unless maybe you play at a low-resolution or aren't very susceptible to stutter.

System specs: XP 2800+, gig of RAM and the Ultra. It's screen tearing, it happens to me on my Ti4400, strange this was even at high detail & 16bit of course it ran perfect on my Geforce2 GTS. Yet even with everything off i get screen tearing in MOHAA & makes the game feel slow and not really playable :( I've noticed it only really does this indoors too :(

kmf
09-01-03, 04:27 AM
dazz, go in to your main folder in mohaa and find the new config file, open it with notepad and typ seta r_swapinterval 1
this should take care of that tearing prob.

Dazz
09-01-03, 04:34 AM
Thanks i will install the game and try it out :)

Valias
09-01-03, 08:22 AM
from what ive read in interviews if a 700mhz is the minimum specs than a 2ghz system will be more than whats needed to run hl2 smoothly.
Not having played the game for obvious reasons i cant say for sure but im 99% confident that a 5900 or 9800 will run hl2 at high res with all features on around 30fps.
sure the ps2.0 might not be great now but its most probably going to be more than enough to run the game nicely.
That just my prediction based on the so called system chunking games out there running beautifully on a 5900ultra.
these second gen video cards arnt getting half the respect they should be getting both 9800 and 5900 from some people.
Feel free to disagree though:)

xtremegamer
09-01-03, 10:43 AM
i totally agree with you valias. i think most of people are never going to be satisfied. if only half of them knew what goes into creating some of these cards they would possibly see it in another light. do you guys know what kind of logic goes into these machines to be able to calculate as percisly as they do? omg....

show some appriciation and be thankful we are not in VooDoo3 days ;) HAHAHA

digitalwanderer
09-01-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by xtremegamer
i totally agree with you valias. i think most of people are never going to be satisfied. if only half of them knew what goes into creating some of these cards they would possibly see it in another light. do you guys know what kind of logic goes into these machines to be able to calculate as percisly as they do?
More so for one of the top graphic companies than the other though, and to think otherwise right now is thinking with blinders on. :)