PDA

View Full Version : Quaaaaaaaaaaaattrooooooooo!

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
02-02-12, 08:58 AM
IGmCKxTgSrI

ViN86
02-02-12, 12:50 PM
My old A4 was a quattro. Damn that thing was nice in the winter.

I miss the quattro, not the repair costs lol.

bob saget
02-03-12, 01:10 AM
I actually do wonder how all the different 4 wheel drive technologies stack up against each other....

Roadhog
02-03-12, 01:13 AM
I actually do wonder how all the different 4 wheel drive technologies stack up against each other....

Quattro > Subaru > the rest.

Redeemed
02-03-12, 01:46 AM
Have no idea if it's really better or not- but I've always just preferred the manual locking hubs my self. :o

Ninja Prime
02-03-12, 12:34 PM
Have no idea if it's really better or not- but I've always just preferred the manual locking hubs my self. :o

Same. Full time 4 just means you buy tires twice as often. :headexplode:

Ninja Prime
02-03-12, 01:18 PM
That's only a valid argument if your front and rear tyres have the same dimension ;)

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly... You're not suggesting different size tires on an AWD vehicle are you?

I was refering to the fact that AWD tends to eat tires twice as fast as their typical 2WD life.

Roadhog
02-03-12, 01:21 PM
Hood pins.

wysiwyg
02-03-12, 03:27 PM
http://averagechos.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/kuato-in-total-recall.jpg

oh, my bad.. quatro not kuato

Riptide
02-06-12, 11:05 AM
I like my subaru but the fuel economy is terrible. It's a 05 legacy with an automatic. Even the manuals only get about 1-2mpg better than I do. Right now I'm sitting at about 17-18mpg in town which is right where my 450whp mustang is at. Kinda retarded one has well over twice the hp and gets the same mileage.

In the future I may look at Ford's AWD cars but I didn't like how you couldn't lock the AWD in and had to depend on their system to detect slip and auto engage.

nemecb
02-06-12, 03:10 PM
I like my subaru but the fuel economy is terrible. It's a 05 legacy with an automatic. Even the manuals only get about 1-2mpg better than I do. Right now I'm sitting at about 17-18mpg in town which is right where my 450whp mustang is at. Kinda retarded one has well over twice the hp and gets the same mileage.
Wow, that's pretty bad. I get about that in my Jeep, which is about the most fuel-inefficient thing I can imagine. My brother's Forester gets way better than that even with its ancient four speed transmission.

Riptide
02-06-12, 06:10 PM
I couldn't believe it either until I looked up the official mileage figures for those cars. They are that bad. You'll be lucky to get 21 in town and that's with a non turbo manual subaru.

Roadhog
02-06-12, 06:21 PM
I couldn't believe it either until I looked up the official mileage figures for those cars. They are that bad. You'll be lucky to get 21 in town and that's with a non turbo manual subaru.

21 in town is pretty good. When I had my 2005 2.5rs I got about that, but I did get about 35mpg on the highway.

Riptide
02-06-12, 06:25 PM
It might be good for a subaru but it's pretty terrible compared to most FWD sedans. My 23 year old honda got 25+ in town.

The newer subarus (2012) are better and get 24-26 in town.

Roadhog
02-06-12, 06:47 PM
It might be good for a subaru but it's pretty terrible compared to most FWD sedans. My 23 year old honda got 25+ in town.

The newer subarus (2012) are better and get 24-26 in town.

Why would you compare AWD to FWD... Full time AWD will always get worse MPG.

Also, 32 year old golf diesels get 50+ mpg.. Age doesn't dictate MPG either.

jcrox
02-06-12, 07:17 PM
If I'm going to spend too much money on a car, I'd probably get something more like this:

http://www.acura.com/future/NSX?ef_id=pTBPK9jlihoAAMvy:20120207001540:s#1

snowmanwithahat
02-06-12, 11:51 PM
21 in town is pretty good. When I had my 2005 2.5rs I got about that, but I did get about 35mpg on the highway.

lol I'm only getting 21 highway right now.... 2004 STI with a Cobb Stage 2 tune on 93 octane

Riptide
02-08-12, 11:04 AM
Why would you compare AWD to FWD... Full time AWD will always get worse MPG.
I figured it would be worse, just not this much worse. It was surprising.
Also, 32 year old golf diesels get 50+ mpg.. Age doesn't dictate MPG either.
That was partly my point along with the fact that this is somewhat counter intuitive. You would figure newer cars would get better mileage which they do in the sense they have more power now while delivering the same fuel economy. After 23+ years a person would tend to expect not just more power, but better mileage regardless. That hasn't panned out.

Riptide
02-08-12, 11:45 AM
Modern AWDs don't consume a lot more than their 2WD counterparts.I guess by modern then you mean anything not built by subaru up until 2012. Because all of their AWD cars, turbo or not, get ass for mileage up until the very latest and greatest redesign. 21mpg in town is ass mileage. FWD cars in the same class get an easy 4-6mpg better than that.

Ninja Prime
02-09-12, 01:31 AM
I guess by modern then you mean anything not built by subaru up until 2012. Because all of their AWD cars, turbo or not, get ass for mileage up until the very latest and greatest redesign. 21mpg in town is ass mileage. FWD cars in the same class get an easy 4-6mpg better than that.

That is ass. I have a Audi Q7 that gets 25ish and its a large SUV beast.

nemecb
02-10-12, 11:27 AM
That is ass. I have a Audi Q7 that gets 25ish and its a large SUV beast.
In town? That would be spectacular mileage for something that size. Sounds more like a highway number though.

Ninja Prime
02-10-12, 07:27 PM
In town? That would be spectacular mileage for something that size. Sounds more like a highway number though.

Yeah highway, in town its 21-22ish.

nemecb
02-11-12, 12:13 AM
Yeah highway, in town its 21-22ish.
Ah, that makes sense. Still good, but not "holy crap how have I not heard of this" good. :)

Ninja Prime
02-12-12, 04:39 AM
It's a German premium car, of course it's good ;)

"Good" is relative. :p

I'm not a huge fan of it, personally. Its well made, and for a large SUV it gets good mileage, but the interior styling/space sucks IMO. I dislike the way it handles as well, however I can see this being a product of german autobaun roads, it just doesnt jive well with US roadway driving. Brakes are too touchy, I assume this is due to the system that varies the brake pressure at high speeds, speeds you usually don't get to hit over here. Same with the throttle, response is so jumpy, its either a little and you're not going fast enough or it spins up and you bolt out of the hole like lightning. I assume this is a product of a twin-turbo mated to lower gears for fuel economy, either way, I don't like the feel of it.

I prefer to lose a mpg or two and have axle gears that have some torque, both to get you going quick and to slow you down when you let off. The seats are comfortable enough and it has some nice features in that aspect, but feels a little cramped in the leg room unless you're in the front and the seat is all the way back, but then no one has room behind you. That might be because I'm very tall I guess. I also don't like how they did the radio in the middle with the shifter, right next to the cupholders, one spill of anything and all the buttons get all stuck and effed up and its a unholy biatch to clean and get it working again.

I guess my main complaint is its still a german car in an american market, has european styling that doesn't quite fit over here.

mullet
02-26-12, 04:21 PM
Sport cars & luxury = German
Trucks = Japanese
Sport Bikes = Japanese