PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 screen saver broke?

Riptide
02-03-12, 10:39 AM
I have tried different screen savers with Windows 7, blank screen and ribbons, and my computer just flat out refuses to work right with them. I can preview them and they work. However if the computer sits the screen saver just never comes on.

I did some googling and couldn't find much on this. Anyone else experience this problem?

Redeemed
02-03-12, 12:44 PM
I would imagine it is a task, process, or service in the background that is preventing the screen saver from coming on.

howard stern
02-06-12, 05:03 PM
I had the same issue, for me it was Cyberlink power dvd version 10. Once I removed that from the startup group using msconfig the problem stopped for the most part. Every couple of months the screen saver stops working. I just have to select another one hit apply then re-select the one I want and it works again. I only use the built-in screen savers I do not install 3rd party ones.

Redeemed
02-06-12, 09:18 PM
I'm kinda' curious though- if ya'll have LCDs why are you using screensavers? To my knowledge LCDs don't suffer nearly as badly from burn-in as CRTs did?

Unless it's some third-party screensaver you downloaded and run simply because it looks cool, I don't see the reason or need in using one anymore.

Password protection? Just have the monitor shut off, or the computer suspend, and when it wakes have it request a password.

Roadhog
02-06-12, 10:30 PM
I'm kinda' curious though- if ya'll have LCDs why are you using screensavers? To my knowledge LCDs don't suffer nearly as badly from burn-in as CRTs did?

Unless it's some third-party screensaver you downloaded and run simply because it looks cool, I don't see the reason or need in using one anymore.

Password protection? Just have the monitor shut off, or the computer suspend, and when it wakes have it request a password.

LCD's can get image persistence. It's rare though.

I just set my monitor to shut off after 10 minutes.

frenchy2k1
02-07-12, 05:02 PM
It's energy consumption. Why have your monitor stay on when you are away?

I would guess that if his screen saver does not turn on, this also include the monitor OFF option though.

howard stern
02-07-12, 08:25 PM

LCD's do get burn-in. I have seen it so why take a chance.

Michael Muhney
06-12-12, 05:02 AM
If you are using a LCD or a LED u don't need a screen saver because there is no need of electricity for these as CRT monitors.

Hogrider
06-12-12, 07:25 AM
Yep, LCD monitors don't use electricity...

:wtf:

737MAX
06-13-12, 01:56 PM
:lol2: