PDA

View Full Version : Hello, this is my "I'm new here" post

Pages : [1] 2 3

Syan
09-02-03, 01:44 AM
Hello Nv Forum. This is my first thread here, a few days ago I recieved my Alienware system configured with a 5900 Ultra 256mb, and this seems like the best place to go for questions and such. So far, my system performs extremely well and the video quality is superb. My previous system, which I will still use, is a P4 2.26, 512mb RDRAM, housing the ever-powerful ATi Radeon 9800 Pro.

I'm not an Nvidia follower, I'm not an ATi follower. In fact, calling yourself a follower of any video card company to me sounds completely freakin stupid. Bottom line is a I want my games to run the best they can, so I'll use the card that does it best. No one in my family works at either companies, nor do they pay me or offer sexual pleasures, so I couldn't give less of a **** about which one "wins" the battle in this generation.

For those of you with thick skulls out there, my point is I'm not biased. So when I say Raven Shield plays smoother with my 5900 Ultra card, it's not because I hate for ATi. When I say that C&C: Generals runs better with my Ultra 5900, it's also not because I hate ATi. What's the reason then? Because it simply f*cking does and since I don't know how to make video cards I can't explain why.

I don't really know much about my new 5900 card, and I have tons of questions. So thanks for having me here, I hope I enjoy my stay =)

GlowStick
09-02-03, 02:25 AM
Hi,

Heh not sure what else to say but, how much did your new rig set u back : P

Syan
09-02-03, 02:35 AM
About $2,700.

GlowStick
09-02-03, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Syan
About $2,700. Wow, nice! Welcome to nvnews!

panzaman
09-02-03, 03:46 AM
yesterday me and one of my mates did a quick price comparison between an Alienware system and equivalent stuff you'll buy on a internet retailer...

Result: using exactly the same components (apart from alienware case) , same keyboard, mouse, dvd-rw, Ati 9800, Pentium 3.2 etc...

Alienware 2300
Dabs.com 1700

Now u tell me why is Alienware charging me 600 pounds more for exactly the same stuff?

vampireuk
09-02-03, 07:14 AM
Alienware do great systems, but it still baffles me as to why somebody will pay so much extra cash.

scott123
09-02-03, 08:17 AM
Way too much money, but Alianware is the way to go if your going with a pre-built system. Have fun!

saturnotaku
09-02-03, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Alienware do great systems, but it still baffles me as to why somebody will pay so much extra cash.

Very true. And it's not like Alienware's stock warranty is that great either. I could see it if it had a minimum of three years coverage, but for that you have to pay even more. Alienware, Falcon, Voodoo are supposed to appeal to the high-end PC enthusiast, but I think that same group of people is more likely to build their own. That is, of course, they want those fancy paint jobs and tricked out case wiring jobs. But that's still not worth the premium price IMO.

GlowStick
09-02-03, 10:42 AM
Hm, i dont really think Alienware's cases are anything special. But i would love to get ahold of one of Voodoo's or Falcon-NW's painted cases, but the catch is you have to buy a full system : (

But for Falcon NW i had an idea to buy the crappist system they had with a painted case, and it was still over a grand heh.

jAkUp
09-02-03, 10:48 AM
ya alienwares are nice systems.. but very expensive..

welcome to nvnews btw:afro:

stncttr908
09-02-03, 10:55 AM
You have a high end 9800 Pro system and a higher end 5900 Ultra 256MB system?!? What the...son of a... :surrender

Rogozhin
09-02-03, 10:59 AM
How do you know your 5900U is the fastest card around-IF YOU haven't run a 9800pro?

rogo

GlowStick
09-02-03, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
How do you know your 5900U is the fastest card around-IF YOU haven't run a 9800pro?

rogo Who do you mean? Syan has both?

John Reynolds
09-02-03, 11:11 AM
For those of you with thick skulls out there, my point is I'm not biased. So when I say Raven Shield plays smoother with my 5900 Ultra card, it's not because I hate for ATi. When I say that C&C: Generals runs better with my Ultra 5900, it's also not because I hate ATi. What's the reason then? Because it simply f*cking does and since I don't know how to make video cards I can't explain why.

The GFFX boards are good for current and older games, and your 5900 U will be a killer Doom 3 card. Their PS2.0 performance, however, is quite worrisome, and their continued use of ordered grid AA modes is inexcusable for 2003, IMO.

Why do those games, and others, run better on your card? They were probably developed on Nvidia hardware. Hell, the original NOLF and Deus Ex ran smoother on my V5 than my GF2 Ultra, even though the latter had more than twice the multi-texturing fill rate. :fanboy:

Rogozhin
09-02-03, 11:40 AM
Yes, Syan doesn't have both I believe.

rogo

GlowStick
09-02-03, 12:00 PM

rogo He clearly states that he dose.

I do not feel that 399$ is that big of a deal to people who have full time jobs. Its not some big achivement to buy 2 video cards, really.

digitalwanderer
09-02-03, 12:01 PM

rogo
I believe from what I read of him over at R3D that he went from a 9700 Pro on his old rig to this new one, I forget what CPU he had with his 9700 Pro.

Syan
09-02-03, 01:43 PM
My signature at R3D is outdated, but I do have a 9800 Pro. Fantastic card, and I'm beginning to learn that it handles AF a bit better than the 5900.

What exactly is PS 2.0? I keep hearing you guys mention it.

John Reynolds
09-02-03, 01:55 PM

DX9 pixel shaders. Synthetics and Angel of Darkness benchmarking has shown that the GF FX boards might not be the greatest DX9 cards to own. And 3DCenter has a nice article up in English on the NV30 architecture you could read if you have the time.

digitalwanderer
09-02-03, 02:00 PM
"Pixel Shader 2.0", it's a big part of DX9 and the part that nVidia's FX series has some troubles with. It's the reason that the FX originally scored so badly at 3dm2k3, it couldn't run the PS 2.0 stuff worth beans in nature....that's why the whole "application detection" stuff in their drivers that substitutes shaders was a big scandel.

Recently Beyond3D benchmarked TombRaider: AngelOfDarkness which is the first DX9 game really out there and published a comparison of ATi & nVidia's current cards (http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7543) that raised a bit of contraversy and pretty much confirmed what was suspected in 3dm2k3.

The article I linked is a bit of a read, but chockful-o-info by one of the very best in the business. :)

Syan
09-02-03, 02:02 PM
Is Half-Life 2 using PS 2.0 stuff?

digitalwanderer
09-02-03, 02:06 PM
Yup, lots of it.

creedamd
09-02-03, 02:08 PM

Yes indeed, the 5900u will probably play it well, but it will be yet another reason that the 9800 is above the 5900, besides the quality of AA, and hacked up IQ lowering drivers, that is.

digitalwanderer
09-02-03, 02:15 PM
You pronounce "raid-on" wrong in your sig still Creed.... :p

Syan
09-02-03, 02:18 PM
What about for those who don't use AA? I never even use AA or AF with my 9800 Pro, so where does the 5900 supposedly stand without those options?