PDA

View Full Version : Dusk Ultra wouldn't run on Celeron??!!??

windwaver
09-02-03, 07:02 AM
I've tried both 5800/5900 both runs Dawn Ultra fine, but Dusk Ultra comes up with an error. When I tried it on a TBred 2GHz, it runs both with no problems using either card :(.

Anybody have this experience?

Remi
09-02-03, 07:24 AM
Dawn and (probably) Dusk requires a processor with SSE (or Extended MMX, I'm not sure). Older Cerelons don't have it... It might well be that.

Nutty
09-02-03, 08:05 AM
Yes thats precisely it, upgrading from my old Thunderbird Athlon to Barton Athlon enabled me to run Dawn demo.

stncttr908
09-02-03, 09:58 AM
Celeron=n00b proc for main rig. Your card deserves more.

windwaver
09-03-03, 02:59 AM
Oh, it has SSE, it's the 478 Cele at 3GHz :).

windwaver
09-03-03, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Remi
Dawn and (probably) Dusk requires a processor with SSE (or Extended MMX, I'm not sure). Older Cerelons don't have it... It might well be that.

I can run Dawn Ultra, not Dusk :confused: :confused: :confused:

dirtydog
09-03-03, 07:33 AM
Strange as the S478 Celerons have the exact same features as P4s. How do you know it's not running because of the cpu, and not something else? Does the error message say it's the cpu.

btw remi, Celerons have had SSE since 533A ;)

Remi
09-03-03, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info! (My impression was that it was only for the ones getting close to 1 GHz, but it was just an impression...)

So close! If only I had 533 MHz instead of 433 ones on my Celeron machine, I could run have SSE! Hum... Maybe I'll have a look on eBay... ;)

That's not going to solve the problem here... I don't know if that info could be of any help, but I had no trouble to run Dusk on a P4 (Northwodd core) with a FX5600 (well, it was a bit slow, but it worked).

What's the symptom? Is there an error message, and if yes could you post it?

windwaver
09-03-03, 11:21 AM
As what I've mentioned in my first post. I'm able to run Dusk & Dawn with both cards using a TBred 2GHz. I'm only able to run Dawn with both cards using my Cele, Dusk will not run even if I boot with nothing extra loaded in the background.

Therefore, the only explanation to this is that my Cele seems to have a problem with Dusk, even my 2GHz TBred has no problem with Dusk. Anybody can think of anything?

Remi
09-03-03, 12:01 PM
Sorry to repeat myself, but... Any error messages? What happens exactly?

dirtydog
09-03-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Remi
Thanks for the info! (My impression was that it was only for the ones getting close to 1 GHz, but it was just an impression...)

So close! If only I had 533 MHz instead of 433 ones on my Celeron machine, I could run have SSE! Hum... Maybe I'll have a look on eBay... ;)

533A that is, the FC-PGA type based on the PIII.. the older 533 doesn't have SSE. Fascinating bit of info there ;)

windwaver, what is the error you are getting, as you are assuming the problem is your cpu, when it might not be. I mean.. why would it be, it doesn't make any sense. The S478 Celerons might only have 128K L2 cache but that has never stopped any program running, it just makes it slower. Apart from that, and the slower FSB, there is absolutely not an iota of difference between Celerons and P4s.

windwaver
09-04-03, 04:04 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=17468

Same problem, that's the error message I received :(.

sean m
09-04-03, 06:30 AM
Are you running Windows XP?

Minimum System Requirements:
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra; Windows XP; Detonator FX Driver (44.03 or higher); 512MB System Memory; 256MB Video Memory.

windwaver
09-04-03, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sean m

GeForce FX 5900 Ultra; Windows XP; Detonator FX Driver (44.03 or higher); 512MB System Memory; 256MB Video Memory.

I met all of the above and more :(. BTW, It also runs at 5800/5900, in fact, I think it's able to run even with 5600.

dirtydog
09-05-03, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by sean m

You *need* 256MB video memory? :eek:

windwaver
09-10-03, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by dirtydog
You *need* 256MB video memory? :eek:

You definately dun need 256MB VRAM, if not 90% of us will not be able to run Dusk & Dawn. So, anybody has any better suggestion(s)?

Remi
09-10-03, 10:33 AM
Looks like it's executing an instruction that's either not in your processor's instruction set, or unauthorized by the system for some reason.

The question is: what instruction is it?

If you have access to a programming system such as visual studio, install it, retry and you'll have the option to enter in the debugger. There you'll see which instruction is causing the problem, you can post it here and we can look at it. It should put us on the way to the correct answer.

If you don't have access to a copy of visual studio... Anyone knows of a free compiler environment that adds a debugger with assembly debugging level to windows?