PDA

View Full Version : BSOD "nv4_disp.dll" error! Help! Please!

Raelgun
09-03-03, 09:00 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded, about a month ago, and ever since I've been having this one constant problem with my computer.

After playing games (DirectX, OpenGL) for a while I get a Blue Screen error saying that my system has to shut down to prevent hardware damage. It then goes to recommend turning of BIOS caching and shadowing (I havenít tried this yet) I think is what it says, and then finally the details of the error:

STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfa46a30, 0xaa31ea64, 0x00000000)
nv4_disp.dll - Address bfa46a30 base at bf99e000, date stamp 3f25a978

And then I have to restart the computer.

The problem with reproducing it is that I sometimes it wont happen, for example I left the Tron 2.0 demo running the other day for like 5 hours and it didnít crash, whereas sometimes I would play it for an hour and it would crash.

It has also given me this error on Unreal Tournament 2003, Warcraft 3, Quake 3, and Half-Life, all at various lengths of play.

I donít think the problem lies with my video card as I've tried 2 different video cards and it happened equally on both, and I've tried 3 different video drivers (45.24, 45.23, 44.03) on each card and its crashed for each driver also.

I have all the latest updates for Windows XP, and the latest official nForce drivers for my motherboard, as well as the latest BIOS version.

I thought it might be a memory problem, and I ran 3 different memory tests - Memtest86, MemoryDOC, and Windows Memory Test (the Microsoft one). I left MemoryDOC and the Windows one testing for about 2 hours each (full tests) and I left Memtest86 running for 49 hours! Absolutely NO errors on ALL tests.

Other than this error in games, my system runs flawlessly with absolutely no other errors/problems, and itís been left running for days at a time. All applications work perfectly.

Ok so here are my hardware details:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S 2.0 (nVidia nForce 2)
Memory: 512MB GeIL PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM x 2 (1GB total RAM)
Video Card: Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO (nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, 256MB)
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate parallel drive connected through a Serial ATA adapter (came with motherboard, called Serillel)

I also have a floppy drive, Zip drive, cd burner, and dvd drive, and if you need the specs of these just ask, or any other details for that matter.

Also my case is an Antec PLUS 1080AMG, with 5 fans in there, so Iím doubting a heating problem?

Well thatís about all, thanks to anyone who actually reads all this, and double thanks to anyone who can think of ANYTHING that I can try to fix this!!! :)

Also I was reading around, is my problem whatís known as the "Infinite Loop"? It sounds like it is from what I've read.

Riptide
09-04-03, 12:52 PM
Could be the dreaded "infinite loop" error. Go to yahoo and do a search for that, see if it yields anything useful.

Raelgun
09-04-03, 03:45 PM
hey Riptide, yeah looked around but there dosent seem to be any one real solution to the infinite loop... different things have helped different people... i think im gonna try physically changing my ram 1 at a time, make sure its not that... Also wait for updates for video and motherboard drivers and bios... in the mean time i might call the store i got these from and complain... :)

Dazz
09-04-03, 07:09 PM
Try reinstalling the drivers. Strangely enough with my A7M266 i used to get loop errors also but ONLY under Half Life. Also what nForce2 drivers are you using?

Spiritwalker
09-05-03, 12:52 AM
install NVmax
should help
http://www.voodoofiles.com/2597

aapo
09-05-03, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Raelgun
Well thatís about all, thanks to anyone who actually reads all this, and double thanks to anyone who can think of ANYTHING that I can try to fix this!!! :)

You have a very power hungry setup in your comp, so just checking: do you have a power supply of at least 400W? If you have less than 400+W you'll probably get lockups when your vidcard enters 3d-mode (it needs far more power than the 2d mode).

BTW: A great computer you got there! :)

EDIT: Reading your setup again, its more like 500+W for your comp. It's a killer setup. You might try to take all but necessary devices out to test if it doesn't lock any more. If that's the case, buy the biggest and meanest PSU you can find. :D

Toastywheatman
09-05-03, 09:38 AM
The error you are experiencing is what is known as a "Bugcheck 0x8e". Search for that on Google for more information.

Here is the full docs on your problem:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The exception code that was not handled
2 The address at which the exception occurred
3 The trap frame
4 Reserved

Cause
This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include:

0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT
An unaligned data reference was encountered.

0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT
A breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
A memory access violation occurred.

For a complete list of exception codes, see the ntstatus.h file located in the inc directory of the Windows DDK.

Resolving the Problem
If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques. Make sure you have enough disk space. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you plan to debug this problem, you may find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem.

If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, this indicates that a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch.

If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame will supply additional information.

If the specific cause of the exception is unknown, the following should be considered:

Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, the service can be removed by starting the system using the Recovery Console and deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk. Check for and delete any unneeded temporary files, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files containing saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk with more free space for the installation. BIOS problems can be resolved by upgrading the system BIOS version.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps... I have never debugged a bugcheck 8e before so I can't help you :(

The Baron
09-05-03, 09:43 AM
Are Fast Writes and/or SBA on?

ring0_event
09-05-03, 08:19 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded, about a month ago, and ever since I've been having this one constant problem with my computer.

After playing games (DirectX, OpenGL) for a while I get a Blue Screen error saying that my system has to shut down to prevent hardware damage. It then goes to recommend turning of BIOS caching and shadowing (I havenít tried this yet) I think is what it says, and then finally the details of the error:

STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfa46a30, 0xaa31ea64, 0x00000000)
nv4_disp.dll - Address bfa46a30 base at bf99e000, date stamp 3f25a978

And then I have to restart the computer.

The problem with reproducing it is that I sometimes it wont happen, for example I left the Tron 2.0 demo running the other day for like 5 hours and it didnít crash, whereas sometimes I would play it for an hour and it would crash.

It has also given me this error on Unreal Tournament 2003, Warcraft 3, Quake 3, and Half-Life, all at various lengths of play.

I donít think the problem lies with my video card as I've tried 2 different video cards and it happened equally on both, and I've tried 3 different video drivers (45.24, 45.23, 44.03) on each card and its crashed for each driver also.

I have all the latest updates for Windows XP, and the latest official nForce drivers for my motherboard, as well as the latest BIOS version.

I thought it might be a memory problem, and I ran 3 different memory tests - Memtest86, MemoryDOC, and Windows Memory Test (the Microsoft one). I left MemoryDOC and the Windows one testing for about 2 hours each (full tests) and I left Memtest86 running for 49 hours! Absolutely NO errors on ALL tests.

Other than this error in games, my system runs flawlessly with absolutely no other errors/problems, and itís been left running for days at a time. All applications work perfectly.

Ok so here are my hardware details:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Motherboard: Abit NF7-S 2.0 (nVidia nForce 2)
Memory: 512MB GeIL PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM x 2 (1GB total RAM)
Video Card: Leadtek WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO (nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, 256MB)
Hard Drive: 160GB Seagate parallel drive connected through a Serial ATA adapter (came with motherboard, called Serillel)

I also have a floppy drive, Zip drive, cd burner, and dvd drive, and if you need the specs of these just ask, or any other details for that matter.

Also my case is an Antec PLUS 1080AMG, with 5 fans in there, so Iím doubting a heating problem?

Also I was reading around, is my problem whatís known as the "Infinite Loop"? It sounds like it is from what I've read.

Same problem. SAME bugcheck parameters, bugcheck code 8e, param1=0xc0000005. I've never seen it gaming, BUT if I loop 3DMark2k3 for hours, it could happen after say 5+ hours on average.

It ain't a memory problem. I ran memtest86 for 8 hours on all tests. Memory problems would result in crashes in many situations, yet I only see this after hours of 3DMark2k3.

It ain't a heating problem, at least not with my CPU. My case is well enough ventilated, with 6 fans. I will run prime95 torture test for many hours and see if it passes.

I have a 550 W Enermax PSU, so power should not be an issue.

Conclusion? It's too early to say, but it might be a FX driver stability issue. Incredible, never before had NV driver issues. I just hope they resolve it soon.

Anyone else have this?

ring0_event
09-05-03, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Are Fast Writes and/or SBA on?

How could I turn those off/on? Cpuz reports that SBA is on. How can I turn both it and fast writes off?

ring0_event
09-05-03, 08:55 PM
BTW this is not the inifinite loop problem. That had a bugcheck code of 0xEA (Bug Check 0xEA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER).

We have 0x8E instead, as revealed by a previous poster.

The Baron
09-05-03, 10:04 PM
Hmmm... BIOS usually has an option, PowerStrip has an option (I believe), but there is SOME way to enable an AGP Settings pane similar to CoolBits. I never got it to work, so if somebody else knows how, please let him know.

ring0_event
09-06-03, 12:57 PM
Hmmm... BIOS usually has an option, PowerStrip has an option (I believe), but there is SOME way to enable an AGP Settings pane similar to CoolBits. I never got it to work, so if somebody else knows how, please let him know.

Unfortunately, I don't think my BIOS from Gigabyte has such an option. I'll have to see about PS; that's not shareware IIRC, so it would not be my first option.

Something like coolbits for AGP option would ROCK :D

ANYONE have info on this? or how to play with fast writes, SBA? TIA

ring0_event
09-06-03, 01:02 PM
hey Riptide, yeah looked around but there dosent seem to be any one real solution to the infinite loop... different things have helped different people... i think im gonna try physically changing my ram 1 at a time, make sure its not that... Also wait for updates for video and motherboard drivers and bios... in the mean time i might call the store i got these from and complain... :)

Any progress on your end Raelgun? I have nothing further to add, except that I tried the following:

a) turned off HT.
b) changed my memory timings to be more conservative. also applied memory overvolt.
c) tried 45.23 and 45.24

Now I need to try and disable FW and SBA, which I don't know how to do. Do you have any idea?

While I could be wrong, I don't think this is an infinite loop problem. That bugcheck code is 0xEA. Instead we both have 0x8E. That just simply indicates bad memory usage by the driver. For example, if you would try to access memory which was invalid, and not paged out to disk, you would get this (or a similar) bugcheck. If that is truly the problem, it is a driver issue.

ring0_event
09-06-03, 02:54 PM

Downloading rivatuner from www.guru3d.com allowed me to disable FW, but not SBA. Anyone know how I can disable SBA?

Raelgun
09-13-03, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone,
Sorry about the long delayed reply but I checked my post a few days after I posted and got hardly any replies back so I gave up on it... then I checked now and all you guys have written back!

Ok so from the top:

Dazz - im using the nForce 2.45 drivers, reinstalled them, but problem still here.

aapo - I have a 430W and I got this with the new case I bought, you really think I need more power? But with the other video card a GeForce 2, surly it would require far less power? And yet the problem still occurs with that card as well...

Toastywheatman - I tried the disabling BIOS caching but this didnít change anything. I donít seem to have any shadowing options in my BIOS though? As I said before the error reports that the nv4_disp.dll driver is at fault, and I tried changing that but the problem still occurs.

Strangely though after this crash occurs, the error written in the dump is different than the error reported in the Blue Screen. Using the Event Viewer this is what is reported:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfa46f40, 0xf7a3ea64, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: F:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091203-01.dmp.

It is the same except on the Blue screen it starts as "0x0000008e" but reading from the dump after its "0x1000008e"? Strange.

The Baron - Fast Writes are on.

ring0_event - yeah im starting to lean towards this being a driver stability error, as after using the 45.23 drivers for a week, playing WarCraft 3 each day, the game would crash with the error each day. I then changed to the 45.24 drivers and in one week playing WarCraft 3 each day it crashed 2 times in the whole week... Iím eagerly waiting for the next set of drivers...

Oh and thereís an option for enabling/disabling Fast Writes in my BIOS, but if itís not in yours I'm not to sure how you would switch it off? Also whatís SBA?

Soon when I get a chance Iím gonna put in another hard drive and fresh install Windows XP and all current drivers and patches, but no applications except for games, and test it like that with a clean system, see if I can reproduce the error. I was thinking of relaxing the memory timings, but donít think so now as it didnít seem to help you.

Well Ill reply back if thereís any progress!

Oh and thanks to everyone for replying!

Behemoth
09-13-03, 01:08 AM
heat problem? try leave your case open and find a table fan and blow the air straight to the video card.

ring0_event
09-13-03, 12:02 PM
Hey everyone,
Sorry about the long delayed reply but I checked my post a few days after I posted and got hardly any replies back so I gave up on it... then I checked now and all you guys have written back!

Ok so from the top:

Dazz - im using the nForce 2.45 drivers, reinstalled them, but problem still here.

aapo - I have a 430W and I got this with the new case I bought, you really think I need more power? But with the other video card a GeForce 2, surly it would require far less power? And yet the problem still occurs with that card as well...

Toastywheatman - I tried the disabling BIOS caching but this didnít change anything. I donít seem to have any shadowing options in my BIOS though? As I said before the error reports that the nv4_disp.dll driver is at fault, and I tried changing that but the problem still occurs.

Strangely though after this crash occurs, the error written in the dump is different than the error reported in the Blue Screen. Using the Event Viewer this is what is reported:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfa46f40, 0xf7a3ea64, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: F:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini091203-01.dmp.

It is the same except on the Blue screen it starts as "0x0000008e" but reading from the dump after its "0x1000008e"? Strange.

The Baron - Fast Writes are on.

ring0_event - yeah im starting to lean towards this being a driver stability error, as after using the 45.23 drivers for a week, playing WarCraft 3 each day, the game would crash with the error each day. I then changed to the 45.24 drivers and in one week playing WarCraft 3 each day it crashed 2 times in the whole week... Iím eagerly waiting for the next set of drivers...

Oh and thereís an option for enabling/disabling Fast Writes in my BIOS, but if itís not in yours I'm not to sure how you would switch it off? Also whatís SBA?

Soon when I get a chance Iím gonna put in another hard drive and fresh install Windows XP and all current drivers and patches, but no applications except for games, and test it like that with a clean system, see if I can reproduce the error. I was thinking of relaxing the memory timings, but donít think so now as it didnít seem to help you.

Well Ill reply back if thereís any progress!

Oh and thanks to everyone for replying!

Sorry Raelgun, should have posted that I fixed my problem :o , see here:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54169&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Problem: I had other HDDs connected to the same power line from my PSU that fed to my 5900U! If I put only case fans on the 5900U line, stability returned. I'm using 45.33 drivers now.

SBA = side band addressing, BTW. I cannot disable fast writes through my BIOS, I had to use Rivar Tuner. But disabling FW had no effect.

EDIT: on my last test, FW were off. I'll test again with FW on.

ring0_event
09-13-03, 06:17 PM
Bump. Want Raelgun to see this.

Raelgun
09-14-03, 12:28 AM
ah right, cool that you fixed it! :)

i have my hard drive (only 1) and the GeForce sharing a power cable, but I dont think this is the problem in my case, as when I use the other video card, a GeForce 2 GTS 64MB, the problem still occurs and that card dosent require extra power... Still I might try this, could get lucky... Thanks!

Shinra358
03-17-09, 11:58 PM
Ive found another could be solution to this problem. I believe it is the Plug and Play function that pops up after youve installed the new/old card drivers. Plug and Play drivers seems to conflict with the graphics card drivers. After installing the new drivers, the plug and play message will pop up. Just choose to cancel. Restart so the card drivers can take effect. If it asks for plug and play installation again, just say cancel again. After that it should work perfectly.......at least it did for me. Try that out and see how it goes.