PDA

View Full Version : MSI GeForce FX5900 Ultra & PSU's - Who's Conning Who

zero.TA
09-04-03, 03:33 PM
I cannot understand how MSI can manufacture a board like the 5900 and not publish anything on what requirements are needed to run the board.

I have been in touch with Dell, HP & IBM asking them for information on the ability of their machines to run a 5900Ultra with the latest chipsets and CPU's.

All indicate that there should be no problems.

If the concensus is that you need at least a 500watt + PSu then surely the card manufacturers should make people aware.

Its all very well buying the top end machine from PC World, etc or even on-line from the manufacturers, but what is the use if the PSU is not capable of running top end graphic cards in multiple applications.

As it is I have a high spec machine that locks up when I run games, is unable to run dual monitors when I run games, and all the time this card is advertised as the ultimate gaming card.

So come on Card & Chip Manufacturers give us some advice please and stop leaving it to the public to find out your weakness.

poursoul
09-04-03, 04:06 PM
To get reliable info on the products you have, forums are the best choice.

But you also have to wait a couple of posts as you may get some one thinking they know it all when the really don't, so completely disregard this post.

The Baron
09-04-03, 04:39 PM
Looking at your system right now, I can't possibly imagine how you are surprised.

2 workstation-level CPUs.. I'd guess maybe 70W a piece, so 140W right there. 2 SCSI hard drives--hell, I have NO idea how much that takes up, but probably quite a bit each. Now two video cards, 2 gigs of RAM, 2 optical drives... 460W is underpowered, period.

GlowStick
09-04-03, 05:05 PM
I read someware that R3xx's cards and NV3x card consume aprox 60 - 70w of power, so if you have that to spare your good.

Currently, i had to remove some hdd's after i got my radeon, my 420w isnt enough heh.

MatiasZ[OC]
09-04-03, 05:19 PM
just guessing, but may be the best choice for you would be not to buy a higher spec PSU, but just buy another one, and make use of 2 PSU's in the same system, for example, running the system itself from the best PSU, and leaving the peripherals (such as HD, OPTICAL, etc) to the weak one... there are guides around the web on how to wire two ATX PSU's so that both will turn on (and off) together...

The Baron
09-04-03, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by MatiasZ[OC]
just guessing, but may be the best choice for you would be not to buy a higher spec PSU, but just buy another one, and make use of 2 PSU's in the same system, for example, running the system itself from the best PSU, and leaving the peripherals (such as HD, OPTICAL, etc) to the weak one... there are guides around the web on how to wire two ATX PSU's so that both will turn on (and off) together...
Probably can't do that in his case, unless he has one sitting outside and cuts a hole in it for the wires.

SlyBoots
09-04-03, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
I read someware that R3xx's cards and NV3x card consume aprox 60 - 70w of power, so if you have that to spare your good.

Currently, i had to remove some hdd's after i got my radeon, my 420w isnt enough heh.

I've got the whole list some where, but IIRC 9700 & 9800p is 54w & 5900u is 75w......300w PS recommended for Radeons & 350w for FX [minimum]

Dazz
09-04-03, 07:19 PM
All Geforce FX 5900's & Radeon Rxx's need 350w min, so make sure you really have a 400+w PSU to be on the safe side.

archaeo.
09-05-03, 12:17 AM
I've got the whole list some where, but IIRC 9700 & 9800p is 54w & 5900u is 75w......300w PS recommended for Radeons & 350w for FX [minimum] Skyboot, I was just looking for those numbers the other day. Do you have a link to where I could find the specifics?

SlyBoots
09-05-03, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by archaeo.
Skyboot, I was just looking for those numbers the other day. Do you have a link to where I could find the specifics?

sorry, couldn't find it. I believe it was posted in a thread at B3d.....thought I'd copied it to a doc file, but guess not:(

zero.TA
09-05-03, 06:05 AM
Just to inform everybody I have a 460w PSU, and it is not enough :o

It's ironic that people sell this equipment without informing people of basic requirements.

Must congratulate all ON-Line configuration applications who don't take into account the size of PSU you need for the equipment your buying :argue:

zero.TA
09-05-03, 12:35 PM
Decided to get the Antec TS 550.

Whats the betting I'll be back :angel:

stncttr908
09-05-03, 01:03 PM
Well it'd be cool if you were back even if it works. :cool:

biggles2120
09-05-03, 06:18 PM
My specs: (A little bit different config, but the same base unit)

XW6000
Xeon 2.66
1 Gig RAM
Audigy 2 with LiveDrive
7200RPM Drive and SCSI 2 Drive 10,000rpm
Gainward FX 5900 256meg ultra. 500core/915mem with dual fan card cooler.
460 Watt PSU

I had lockups to. You need to disable hyperthreading for your processors in the BIOS. This never worked right for me...
Also, make sure you install the latest intel chipset drivers from intel's site and not HP's. Also make sure you're running the latest motherboard firmware as well. A new one just came out so get it. Runs like butter now...