PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Drolfrawd
03-01-12, 05:38 PM
How would i boot into safe mode with VirtualBox? Im trying to enable Enable 3D acceleration but this can only be enabled in safe mode! ... Pressing F8 does nothing it seems!

In normal mode.

bring up a run box and type msconfig . then ok
click on the "boot" tab and selsct safe mode.

reboot

mojoman0
03-01-12, 06:29 PM
the parts of windows 8 i want are the smartphone style apps. I want to be able to play scrabble on my ipod touch and pick up the same game when i sit down on my desktop, or read news in the pulse reader app. There currently isnt that type of app fluidity from mobile to desktop right now, save facebook apps.

Desktop is only 1 click or 1 button away but it really needs its own taskbar search which I havent discovered yet

Bman212121
03-01-12, 09:40 PM
Well upon reading what you lot have said i think im gonna give W8 a miss ... Well until i hear more positive feedback.

If you want positive feedback you probably won't find it on this forum...

There is a decent podcast done by Paul Thurrott, Leo Laporte, and Mary Joe Foley called Windows Weekly. They did some coverage of it and there were a few little tips on how to make it even more usable.

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/250

One of the neat features that you can do is quickly bring up a context menu with shortcuts to power user applications. If you move the mouse to the lower left corner and right click it, a menu will appear with some of the control panel settings, as well as launching a command prompt. Another cool thing was that simply hitting the windows key swapped back and forth between the start screen and your application. This would make it a whole lot faster to launch your common programs since you don't have to navigate the start menu to get to it. If you're a user of desktop icons this would be very much like you hitting the show desktop button, then locating the icon on your desktop and clicking that. Even if you're used to pinning icons to your taskbar this would be one addtional key press to get to the menu, but chances are your mouse it already just about on the tile you want since they are centered on the screen. you could also hit the arrow keys a couple of times and enter to launch the app. The other benefit is that live tiles are basically like widgets which can display info about a program without even opening it up. On my phone if I want to know what my next event is on my calendar it shows up right on the icon to launch my calendar. So on the desktop this would be like previewing outlook without even needing to open it.

I do agree that a central search function could be useful to speed up certain tasks. It's very likely that one will be added because it's one of the features that is also present on WP7. I could see using a combo like windows + S to bring up the dialog, much like Windows + R brings up the run command. I vaguely recall seeing a magnifying glass on the Charms bar, so it might be present there. If you move the mouse to the top right corner and slide it down the side of the screen, you can access the charms menu.

I'm looking forward to give this a shot because it will make a lot of sense after using WP7. If you take 10 - 15 minutes to pin all of your recently used items to the screen it should be pretty simple to get where you need to go. Once people can make metro apps for it you'll have plenty of quick shortcuts directly to the things you need. On Windows 7 for example even if you have the network icon in your tray or one the desktop you still need to perform more clicks to get to your network adapters than XP. On WP7 I can click on a live tile and have the options right there to enable or disable my adapters. What I think would be really sweet is if someone took the "God Mode" control panel from Windows 7 and make a metro app for it, so you could just 1 click into a big list of all of the settings.

One other really neat feature that will hopefully become integrated was the file management. If you watch that podcast they show how you can use Skydrive as a virtual storage device. This would make it far easier to work on documents that you have in the cloud. You can open it directly from there, and save it back without having to download, modify, and upload the new file. They showed integration with several photos sites but I could definitely see other places like dropbox being able to use this feature as well.

Hopefully some of that info will help you figure out how to make Windows 8 more productive. I'm sure it will be a bit awkward at first but basically it's like using a bunch of oversized desktop icons. Hopefully there will be a way to scale them, but honestly you aren't going to want too many rows otherwise you'll get lost in all of the tiles.

Desktop is only 1 click or 1 button away but it really needs its own taskbar search which I havent discovered yet

Try Windows + Q, that should bring up the search pane.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251022/windows_8_consumer_preview_keyboard_shortcuts.html

There is also Windows + W for Setting search, and Windows + F if you just want to search through files. Have to see if maybe Windows + Q is a web search or if it also does all of the above...

The Windows + PgUp and PgDown sounds kind of intriguing... I wonder if it also maintains placement and size or not. I could see using 2 1080p screens with split view mode on each monitor. Then you could juggle many programs back and forth between the screens as needed.

Zelda_fan
03-01-12, 11:15 PM
In my experience with open source counterparts, there is no substitute for Microsoft Office. Other apps typically mess up the file format, have slower features, or not as many.

Actually, I've switched over to Google Docs. I like it a lot better than MS Office.

nekrosoft13
03-01-12, 11:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ur6jX.jpg

thats what i said to few people

i installed 8 consumer preview POS on my laptop, couldn't find the damn shutdown button.

this is the most retarted OS ever made, this will go down in history as the OS that will start the downfall of microsoft.

not a single company will switch to this.

ATOJAR
03-02-12, 12:49 AM
In normal mode.

bring up a run box and type msconfig . then ok
click on the "boot" tab and selsct safe mode.

reboot

Yeah the thing is when i reboot into safe mode with virtualbox and select devices(at the bottom in full screen mode)to try to Enable 3D acceleration then i actually click the devices button nothing happens .... Its fine in normal mode not nothing at all in safe mode!

Cylphid
03-02-12, 01:30 PM
Happened across this, thought you folks might be interested.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/Home#

I wouldn't imagine there will be many compatibility issues, but it's a good reference list to check against if you have issues.

Drolfrawd
03-02-12, 02:22 PM
Yeah the thing is when i reboot into safe mode with virtualbox and select devices(at the bottom in full screen mode)to try to Enable 3D acceleration then i actually click the devices button nothing happens .... Its fine in normal mode not nothing at all in safe mode!

Just a thought, but do you have the virtual box "addons" installed?
Maybe they are needed.

Not sure as I haven't used it in a while

Melfranks
03-02-12, 03:43 PM
The only issue I really have with Win8 is the app menu in Metro is kind of a mess, and there is no longer a start button menu as an alternative.
Other that that access to pretty much everything else is simple to get to, just put the cursor in the lower left corner of the screen and right-click.
I also installed Windows Live Mail, which works fine for all my email accounts.
Switching between Metro and "Win7" is as simple as clicking on the lower left or upper left corner of the screen.
Every application and game I have tried so far has worked perfectly.
This version is a huge step up over the last Win8 beta I tried.
The keyboard shortcuts also help like WIN+I and WIN+W.
Honestly I don't see any reason to go back to my Win7 partition for now, everything just works.

mojoman0
03-02-12, 04:14 PM
this could be the turning point when everyone jumps ship to iOS

nekrosoft13
03-02-12, 05:35 PM
windows 8 will go down in history as the OS that reduced MS from giant corporation to second grade company.

expect windows 9 to be out within a year after windows 8.

mojoman0
03-02-12, 07:51 PM
i think it will be deemed a failure if it does not surpass win 7 records, which did really really well. Having win8 on tablets will help for the figures quite a bit, and most people dont upgrade their os, they just buy a new computer, so if computer sales do well it still might be a success

RAMChYLD
03-02-12, 10:07 PM
I'm trying it out now as a main OS on one of my rigs. So far, I've already chalked up a few issues, but don't know how to report it to Microsoft :P

Firstly, with the NVidia nForce chipset drivers installer, the SMU driver does not get offered nor does it get installed. This results in an unknown device (co-processor) remaining in Device Manager. This can be fixed by manually going into Device Manager and installing the SMU drivers manually (it's a good thing the driver installer extracts everything). Still mildly irritating tho.

Secondly, the VIA (this is an Asus M4N75TD Board) and SoundBlaster X-Fi sound card drivers won't install because the drivers won't recognize the system, and had to be force-installed in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. They work fine after that. Granted that the VIA is supported by the Generic UAA drivers, but then to take advantage of the advanced features of the chipset, I need the VIA drivers. The X-Fi on the other hand, is unsupported by the generic UAA drivers. So getting the card working requires the only very outdated creative driver in the market.

On the app side, Firefox. Good lord, it's practically riddled with redraw problems. Buttons and the address bar intermittently won't get redrawn correctly, and before I got AdBlock installed, this forum is practically unusable- an ad appearing would render a gigantic black box over the entire site. Not sure if this is an issue with the Firefox, the 295.73 driver, or Windows 8 itself.

I'll be doing more tests later tonight.

One more problem I forgot to add: OK, no start button. Fine. How do I call up the Metro UI (which now completely replaces the Start Menu) without using the keyboard? Is there a gesture to do that? Cause touching the lower left corner of the screen (I also happen to have a Acer T230H touch display) certainly didn't help.

nekrosoft13
03-03-12, 12:00 AM
i think it will be deemed a failure if it does not surpass win 7 records, which did really really well. Having win8 on tablets will help for the figures quite a bit, and most people dont upgrade their os, they just buy a new computer, so if computer sales do well it still might be a success

will be excactly the same case like vista, where people buy a new pc and demand os downgrade.

and all businesses (majority of sales) will still keep demanding xp and win7, no one in IT will be stupid enough to install windows 8

Melfranks
03-03-12, 12:53 PM
Here's a pretty decent introduction to the functionality of Windows 8.
Skip to 3:50 for the PC portion.

Og0BbYErv-s

nekrosoft13
03-03-12, 01:34 PM
"windows 8 been designed to work great with keyboard and mouse"

BULL****!!

Melfranks
03-03-12, 03:19 PM
I take back my reservations about not having a Start menu, it just takes a little effort to organize things on the new one. It's actually nicer because it's customizable, and a lot of the apps show previews of the information so you don't actually need to open them.
It's definitely a bit different than Windows 7, but so far everything is working great.

I suppose YMMV depending upon whether drivers are fully compatible. I have pretty much all Logitech stuff, wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones, and a Belkin wireless USB adapter, GTX 470 SLI, dual monitors, everything worked right off the bat.
It's really the best of both worlds, full desktop functionality when you want it plus having tablet-like applications also available.
It's also blazingly fast.

nekrosoft13, are you having specific issues with keyboard and mouse functionality?
I find that it's completely intuitive once you understand how it works.

mojoman0
03-03-12, 03:59 PM
anyone else have the ie problem? when i open IE it just sucks up cpu usage and wont navigate anywhere. had to install chrome, embarrassing

mojoman0
03-03-12, 04:04 PM
How the F do you find device manager without desktop search?

Melfranks
03-03-12, 04:27 PM
How the F do you find device manager without desktop search?

Put the cursor in the lower left corner in desktop mode and right-click.
It's in the list which appears.

Edit: WIN+X also brings up that menu.

Rakeesh
03-03-12, 04:35 PM
I can see many places where windows 8 has huge advantages over windows 7 (improved file copying, better task manager, the bottom left shortcut menu, the new file menu in windows explorer is just plain sexy, lower memory usage) but metro just plain looks ugly.

ViN86
03-03-12, 04:43 PM
I'm sure this whole thing is like Office 07. The ribbon bar was a PITA at first, but after you're used to it, it's a lot more efficient.

mojoman0
03-03-12, 04:55 PM
fixed ie. had to turn off hardware rendering. the ribbon in windows explorer is completely unnecessary imo. theres now a huge bar for everything you could just do in a right click

YES! turning off hardware rendering in internet options fixed the blank screen problem in metro apps when i move my mouse. interesting

Melfranks
03-03-12, 05:01 PM
fixed ie. had to turn off hardware rendering. the ribbon in windows explorer is completely unnecessary imo. theres now a huge bar for everything you could just do in a right click

Just hide the ribbon if you don't like it. :)

mojoman0
03-03-12, 05:06 PM
i did i just dont understand the added complexity. the visual aids take longer to decipher imo. also this is picky but I'm not a fan of the squareness of everything in win8, including the x button, ie tabs, metro etc. MS is clearly trying to distance itself from apple by making their own stylistic choices, but only because they're trying to be different, not better.

The human brain likes rounded edges:

http://uxmovement.com/thinking/why-rounded-corners-are-easier-on-the-eyes/

http://www.cultofmac.com/109623/theres-a-cool-scientific-reason-why-ios-5s-round-buttons-are-awesome/