PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Melfranks
03-03-12, 06:30 PM
Here's a good getting started (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/get-started?page=vid2) video for mouse and keyboard.

nekrosoft13
03-03-12, 06:36 PM
I'm sure this whole thing is like Office 07. The ribbon bar was a PITA at first, but after you're used to it, it's a lot more efficient.

i loved the ribbon from the start. cant say the same about metro

Rakeesh
03-03-12, 08:04 PM
i did i just dont understand the added complexity. the visual aids take longer to decipher imo. also this is picky but I'm not a fan of the squareness of everything in win8, including the x button, ie tabs, metro etc. MS is clearly trying to distance itself from apple by making their own stylistic choices, but only because they're trying to be different, not better.

The human brain likes rounded edges:

http://uxmovement.com/thinking/why-rounded-corners-are-easier-on-the-eyes/

http://www.cultofmac.com/109623/theres-a-cool-scientific-reason-why-ios-5s-round-buttons-are-awesome/

Interesting data, and it makes sense, and it pretty well nails why I don't like metro. The squareness and mono color tiles are just ugly.

i loved the ribbon from the start. cant say the same about metro

Same.

mullet
03-04-12, 09:58 AM
I can see people staying with win 7 like they did with XP.

Zelda_fan
03-04-12, 11:47 AM
Metro UI was a PITA at first, but once you understand it, it's actually a lot better. I can access my stocks, weather, email, and documents way faster. I just wish they had some sort of metro news app.

I also like how you can dock apps at the right third of the screen. I can browse the web and get updates to my email/stocks/whatever at the same time.

Task manager is way better. File copy is way better. If Microsoft can get companies to build apps that are Metro UI compatible this could be a great OS for them. I'm not going to switch over until I get full driver support (there are a few motherboard components that don't have Windows8 drivers), but I really like what I see.

mojoman0
03-04-12, 12:01 PM
there are news apps in the store

mailman2
03-04-12, 12:25 PM
They need to give users an option on a PC to just use the standard desktop with a start orb. I don't like Metro as it feels cheap like android does to me. They've ripped the standard desktop of the features we are used to, give us a "preview" version that gets called upon when you open an app... just feels really gimmicky sliding between the two. Its too Tablet-ized for the desktop users... the colors used on the tiles makes me feel like I'm using one of my kids Fisher Price laptop interfaces.

I'd love to use it, just with Metro disabled and the good old start menu.

mojoman0
03-04-12, 12:31 PM
that'd be like using win 7 with a new explorer, task manager, and file copy

mailman2
03-04-12, 12:58 PM
that'd be like using win 7 with a new explorer, task manager, and file copy

yep. Remember Win8 has been optimized for tablets and runs leaner than Win7 though - so it's good for older PCs and laptops that aren't super high end.

that's all we need, not a paint by number interface that toggles over to a gimped version of the classic interface when you launch 90% of the apps.

I've got a Chrome book that runs Windows 7, had Windows 8 on it for a few days, runs nice, don't like the interface and just put back on Windows 7 (which runs great anyways). Its too bad.

Rakeesh
03-04-12, 05:20 PM
If Microsoft can get companies to build apps that are Metro UI compatible this could be a great OS for them.

Developers are forbidden to use metro unless the app is distributed through the windows app store. I am a bit doubtful that the likes of say adobe with their photoshop are going to fork over 30% of their income to microsoft. That would be giving microsoft upwards of $350 per purchase for some of the more advanced versions of their software.

nekrosoft13
03-04-12, 10:34 PM
haha, photoshop in metro, haha, that would be pathetic

Zelda_fan
03-05-12, 01:52 AM
Developers are forbidden to use metro unless the app is distributed through the windows app store. I am a bit doubtful that the likes of say adobe with their photoshop are going to fork over 30% of their income to microsoft. That would be giving microsoft upwards of $350 per purchase for some of the more advanced versions of their software.

Wow. That's extremely ****ing gay. MS is really shooting themselves in the foot if that's the case.

PeterJensen
03-05-12, 02:44 AM
Hoping retail will be better

six_storm
03-05-12, 11:35 AM
I've messed with Win8 a little bit in a VM and here's what I think: Unless they have the option to disable Metro or at least make it to where it goes straight to your Desktop, this OS has no place in the business world. I've shown my coworkers the consumer preview and they agree, we would have to do some heavy training on this if we ever rolled it out to our clients.

I personally kinda like Metro, but for business, no way. I'll stick with Win7 in a VM on my Mac. :bleh:

Zelda_fan
03-05-12, 12:47 PM
I've messed with Win8 a little bit in a VM and here's what I think: Unless they have the option to disable Metro or at least make it to where it goes straight to your Desktop, this OS has no place in the business world. I've shown my coworkers the consumer preview and they agree, we would have to do some heavy training on this if we ever rolled it out to our clients.

I personally kinda like Metro, but for business, no way. I'll stick with Win7 in a VM on my Mac. :bleh:

It takes all of 15 minutes to learn how to use metro.

six_storm
03-05-12, 12:54 PM

Not for my moron clients who hate change. ;)

But if there were a way to have the "Enterprise" version to go straight to the Desktop instead of Metro, then it could work. I'm all for performance enhancements.

lduguay
03-05-12, 01:59 PM
Remember MS BOB? I'm sure Win8 will ride along BOB just fine. :bleh:

http://toastytech.com/guis/bobboot1.gif

Redeemed
03-05-12, 02:35 PM
Hmm... think I'll DL this one of these nights and run it in a VM. Just to give it a go. But from all the feedback I'm reading I think I'll be rocking Windows 7 untill Windows 8 successor is available. :)

lduguay
03-05-12, 02:43 PM
The free version of VmWare player 4.0 runs Win 8. But I could not create a VM directly from the iso. I did create a Win 7 64b VM, mount the Win 8 iso and run it from there. You will need the universal Win 8 product key here>
Windows 8 Product key (http://techie-buzz.com/softwares/windows-8-product-key-consumer-preview.html)

Redeemed
03-05-12, 02:46 PM
The free version of VmWare player 4.0 runs Win 8. But I could not create a VM directly from the iso. I did create a Win 7 64b VM, mount the Win 8 iso and run it from there. You will need the universal Win 8 product key here>
Windows 8 Product key (http://techie-buzz.com/softwares/windows-8-product-key-consumer-preview.html)

I was just thinking of grabbing it off my technet... but I haven't even checked if it's available there or not. :o :lol: Just kinda' assumed it would be.

mailman2
03-05-12, 03:01 PM

Its more than just learning how to use metro though. Metro on a touchscreen is probably amazing.

For a desktop PC though I just don't see it, it's clunky, it's ugly, it looks cheap and many apps still slide over to the old desktop to run. If they are going to give us both UIs, at least give us the start orb back so the folks that prefer Win7 interface can use it. I hate how going to start in the desktop UI brings you back to metro lol. So you've got metro which I don't really like... and you've got the desktop UI which has been stripped and ball gagged to all useless hell now... Microsoft needs to give users their choice of UI and the choice of start orb or not and I'd be happy.

lduguay
03-05-12, 03:45 PM
I was just thinking of grabbing it off my technet... but I haven't even checked if it's available there or not. :o :lol: Just kinda' assumed it would be.

I have a technet subscription too, but was too lazy to log on to it. I've just downloaded it straight from MS.

jcrox
03-05-12, 10:33 PM

Hah!

I deal with sales people that haven't figured out how to log into Salesforce.com in 2 years.

I deal with customers that when given a message saying "The file you're attempting to upload exceeds the maximum allowed size..." they try 17 more times and then call screaming that our software doesn't work.

IMO, W8 would be a nightmare for most day to day users.

Zelda_fan
03-05-12, 11:58 PM
Hmm... think I'll DL this one of these nights and run it in a VM. Just to give it a go. But from all the feedback I'm reading I think I'll be rocking Windows 7 untill Windows 8 successor is available. :)

It's too buggy to run it as your main OS right now. I had it hard freeze on me last night (something that hasn't happened once with windows 7).

MUYA
03-06-12, 12:05 AM
Hah!

I deal with sales people that haven't figured out how to log into Salesforce.com in 2 years.

and I am one of them....
...haha no but I know what you mean.

Say if you have experience supporting/customizing/deploying at the enterprise level, can I prvt message you for some ERP...i mean to ask about Salesforce.com