PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Rakeesh
03-14-12, 09:26 PM
Because of this I'm going to keep Win8 installed in a VM. Will have to learn the intricacies of this new OS so I may better serve any clients that are using it.

I went for a real install this time around, it's easier than you think to install it on your main PC *cleanly* without reformatting anything, and without even the need for a second drive. Uninstalling and reverting back to just windows 7 is even easier. Again I need to emphasize that this can be done VERY cleanly.

Go into disk management and shrink your windows partition (no reboot or anything - it can be done live.) Download a copy of easybcd and make a backup of your BCD.

Reboot and install windows 8 to the free space you just created. When its completely finished installing, reboot to windows 7, run easybcd and restore your BCD backup. Add a new entry in your BCD for that other partition with windows 8.

That's it, you'll have a dual boot, and no reformatting necessary.

To remove windows 8, simply boot to windows 7, go into disk manager and delete the windows 8 partition, expand your windows 7 partition back to fill the disk, and then restore the BCD from the backup you made. No reboot or anything necessary.

I've already done all of this a few times, both install and uninstall, and it works fine. Easybcd is pretty intuitive so it's a no brainer.

mojoman0
03-14-12, 09:41 PM
I did that all without any mention of BCD, I don't know what that even stands for besides Binary Coded Decimal. ;)

On my laptop I just shrunk my partition, quick formatted a new one, rebooted and booted from win 8 disk. The install is easier than even win 7.

Redeemed
03-15-12, 12:40 AM
I'm on a 30GB SSD. I only have just over 5GB free on it and don't really care about Win8 enough to dig through my 30GB SSD looking for things to delete so I'd have enough for a Win8 install. :lol:

Do appreciate the tips though. :)

TheOneAndOnly
03-15-12, 07:57 AM
I'm on a 30GB SSD. I only have just over 5GB free on it and don't really care about Win8 enough to dig through my 30GB SSD looking for things to delete so I'd have enough for a Win8 install. :lol:

Good God, I couldn't even store all of my music on that little of space...:wtf::lol:

But I do guess I am a little spoiled with my 6TB :p

Cylphid
03-15-12, 11:59 AM
I'm done with this until RC. I'll get it through technet when RC is available. I don't see the sense in learning shortcuts by the bucketfull when (hopefully) it may change drastically by release.

Redeemed
03-15-12, 12:51 PM
Good God, I couldn't even store all of my music on that little of space...:wtf::lol:

But I do guess I am a little spoiled with my 6TB :p

The SSD is my boot drive. I've 3 other HDDs- a 320 dedicated to Steam (which is almost full), a 500GB which has all of my documents, music, family pictures and videos, as well as iTunes movies on it, then a 640GB I mostly use for VMs and such. :lol:

Hoping to be getting a *much* larger SSD for my boot drive her before too much longer. :)

TheOneAndOnly
03-15-12, 01:30 PM
In a nutshell...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4qZ7wA1t1tI/Tbe_NjdmP2I/AAAAAAAAAcI/m4ToIA4rPvQ/s1600/new_coke.jpg

Change for the sake of change, and will leave users wondering why, when the old was working wonderfully.

Rakeesh
03-15-12, 11:53 PM
I did that all without any mention of BCD, I don't know what that even stands for besides Binary Coded Decimal. ;)

On my laptop I just shrunk my partition, quick formatted a new one, rebooted and booted from win 8 disk. The install is easier than even win 7.

You do the trick with the BCD if you want to be able to boot windows 8 with the windows 7 bootloader, and/or if you want to be able to remove windows 8 completely with no trace.

Rakeesh
03-15-12, 11:58 PM
The SSD is my boot drive. I've 3 other HDDs- a 320 dedicated to Steam (which is almost full), a 500GB which has all of my documents, music, family pictures and videos, as well as iTunes movies on it, then a 640GB I mostly use for VMs and such. :lol:

Hoping to be getting a *much* larger SSD for my boot drive her before too much longer. :)

With an SSD that small you ought to push your users directory to an HDD. I did that with my server (uses a 32GB SSD for the OS and all apps) and it is sitting with about 14 gigs free with a few dozen apps installed.

I have four HDD's in that system, the SSD for the OS and apps, a 3TB and 1.5TB for videos and downloads, and a 160GB HDD for scratch space for rar/par2 processing. Makes for one hell of an efficient machine for running XBMC and WMC while also being my sabnzbd and sickbeard server. (sabnzbd beats the hell out of torrents by a long shot btw - no comparison whatsoever)

With that server I can be doing multiple things at once without any one thing slowing down another thing, and that server does a TON of multitasking.

nekrosoft13
03-16-12, 09:09 AM
I'm done with this until RC. I'll get it through technet when RC is available. I don't see the sense in learning shortcuts by the bucketfull when (hopefully) it may change drastically by release.

if it stays like this, windows 8 won't touch my pcs.

Cylphid
03-16-12, 09:52 AM
if it stays like this, windows 8 won't touch my pcs.

That's my reaction right now, but all I have are laptops. So if the performance benefits are worth it...I'm not sure right now. I need to see the final product.

I really don't like Metro, but I'll take it if it speeds things up for me I may install it on at least one hdd, just so I know what I'm doing with clients if nothing else.

I really, really do not like it.

Cylphid
03-24-12, 05:15 AM
The new Metro experience starts instantly with Windows 8. As we saw in the Developer Preview, a lock screen introduces Windows 8 users to the live tiles and touch friendly world of the new Start Screen. Microsoft has made a number of tweaks to this screen for the Consumer Preview, including the introduction of a Semantic Zoom interface that allows tablet and touch users to organize and group their Windows Store applications.

*translation*

"Screw desktop and laptop users who do not have or want a touch interface."

Rakeesh
03-24-12, 05:50 AM
that's a spambot

Cylphid
03-24-12, 08:35 AM
that's a spambot

I figured it might be, but I was compelled :D

nekrosoft13
03-24-12, 12:23 PM
*translation*

"Screw desktop and laptop users who do not have or want a touch interface."

yap, touch screen is the last thing i want on my desktop, to be 4 feet from screen, huntch back over the screen waving my arms around have zero precision of a mouse.

Zelda_fan
03-24-12, 02:20 PM

SSDs are really low in price right now. You should consider a 256GB SSD. 30GB is not much at all.

six_storm
03-24-12, 10:54 PM
SSDs are really low in price right now. You should consider a 256GB SSD. 30GB is not much at all.

You're kidding right? SSDs are still crazy expensive. A low price is getting a 500GB SSD for like $75 but that's 2 years away lol. I really can't wait for SSDs to get down in price but it's gonna be a while,

mojoman0
03-24-12, 11:11 PM
well you can get a fast 120gb for $150 or so. Good for a boot/app drive

Rakeesh
03-25-12, 03:08 AM
You're kidding right? SSDs are still crazy expensive. A low price is getting a 500GB SSD for like $75 but that's 2 years away lol. I really can't wait for SSDs to get down in price but it's gonna be a while,

I'd say it's going to be longer than that. Die shrinks actually reduce the lifespan of solid state disks, so capacities aren't going to go up without some new innovation, and price of NAND memory doesn't seem to be dropping very fast.

In any case, SSD's are still worth it, the performance gains are very good.

Zelda_fan
03-25-12, 01:57 PM

I got a Crucial M4 256GB SSD for $300. That's DIRT CHEAP considering the real world performance increases you'll see. That's going from around 20MB/sec to 500/MB per second, and the delta is even bigger when you look at random seek times.

six_storm
03-25-12, 04:39 PM
$300 is a lot of money.

For me $300 is a lot of money!

Cylphid
03-25-12, 06:06 PM

Same here. When 256 is around $200 I may consider it, that's too much right now.

Redeemed
03-25-12, 06:10 PM
I'll be happy when it drops to $1/giggabyte. But we're a ways off. Heck, 600GB drives are over $1k- that's closer to $2/GB which is rather expensive. 512 is a bit better in the $700 range but still way price. The smaller the drives capacity, the closer to $1/GB they get- but that doesn't help any. :lol:

Cylphid
03-25-12, 06:30 PM
I'll be happy when it drops to $1/giggabyte. But we're a ways off. Heck, 600GB drives are over $1k- that's closer to $2/GB which is rather expensive. 512 is a bit better in the $700 range but still way price. The smaller the drives capacity, the closer to $1/GB they get- but that doesn't help any. :lol:

Don't know why but all I saw in your post was "giggadybyte" :lol:

At least that gets this thread back on topic with the Crayola Crayon mess that is windows 8. :p

Rakeesh
03-25-12, 08:39 PM

Then what are you doing buying apple products? The ipad alone is double that and some.