PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

six_storm
03-25-12, 10:57 PM
Then what are you doing buying apple products? The ipad alone is double that and some.

Last summer I got my refurb iPad 1 for a little over $300. However money is lot tighter than last summer, so that $300 is a lot now lol.

nekrosoft13
03-26-12, 12:23 PM
$300 is a lot of money.

considering you spend $300 on your CPU, and another on your video card. not its really is not.

and you don't even need to spend that much, $120 for 90GB SSD is enough.

for all of you waiting for SSD, you are missing a lot, once you go SSD you will never go back. First was one PC, and I couldn't stand how slow the other PCs were. Now all 5 PCs in the house have SSDs.

mullet
03-26-12, 12:35 PM
considering you spend $300 on your CPU, and another on your video card. not its really is not.

and you don't even need to spend that much, $120 for 90GB SSD is enough.

for all of you waiting for SSD, you are missing a lot, once you go SSD you will never go back. First was one PC, and I couldn't stand how slow the other PCs were. Now all 5 PCs in the house have SSDs.

+1

Redeemed
03-26-12, 01:05 PM
Oh, I agree completely regarding the impact SSDs have on a PC's performance.

However, $300 is still a lot of money as that is over half of a paycheck for me. However, I have been saving up some money. I'm just not sure what I want- a 120GB or a 240GB. I'm leaning towards the 240GB but just haven't made my mind up yet. :o :lol: Was also gonna' pick up a 512GB down the road for a dedicated Steam drive, but those are *way* too expensive so I'm likely gonna' pick up a 500GB WD RE4 HDD or a WD Black 750GB as a dedicated Steam drive. Leaning towards the 750GB Black as it'd last me that much longer and it doesn't cost much more than the 500GB RE4 drive. :)

As to Win8... not sure about a seperate install. Maybe I could use this 30GB SSD as a Win8 drive once I get my new SSD.

Cylphid
03-26-12, 04:02 PM

However, $300 is still a lot of money as that is over half of a paycheck for me. However, I have been saving up some money. I'm just not sure what I want- a 120GB or a 240GB. I'm leaning towards the 240GB but just haven't made my mind up yet. :o :lol: Was also gonna' pick up a 512GB down the road for a dedicated Steam drive, but those are *way* too expensive so I'm likely gonna' pick up a 500GB WD RE4 HDD or a WD Black 750GB as a dedicated Steam drive. Leaning towards the 750GB Black as it'd last me that much longer and it doesn't cost much more than the 500GB RE4 drive. :)

As to Win8... not sure about a seperate install. Maybe I could use this 30GB SSD as a Win8 drive once I get my new SSD.

Go with a hybrid drive. I have a Seagate momentus XT as the OS drive in my laptop. Between that and a 16Gb SHDC card I paid $18 for, using readyboost this is more responsive than any fully mechanical drive at a great cost. And I didn't have to give up the space.

nekrosoft13
03-26-12, 07:31 PM

again you don't need to spend $300 to make your computer faster.

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2012/03/23/57317/Patriot-120GB-Pyro-Series-Solid-State-Drive

that is WAY MORE than you need for OS.

Redeemed
03-26-12, 10:16 PM
Go with a hybrid drive. I have a Seagate momentus XT as the OS drive in my laptop. Between that and a 16Gb SHDC card I paid $18 for, using readyboost this is more responsive than any fully mechanical drive at a great cost. And I didn't have to give up the space.

I've read great things about the Hybrid drives if used as boot drives. However, I don't think I need that much space in a boot drive. For the same price as the Momentus XT I can get a 120GB SSD, and $110 more gets me a 240GB SSD. Both of which are far greater in capacity than I need for an OS drive, and would yield far greater performance.

However, I'm still considering the XT as an option, just because it would offer great performance with enough storage to last me a *very* long time... I could install some programs, maybe store my pictures, documents, and such.

Good to hear great things about these drives from somebody that owns one though. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. :)

EDIT: Just saw this 750GB Momentus XT for $150. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837&nm_mc=OTC-RSS&cm_mmc=OTC-RSS-_-Laptop%20Hard%20Drives-_-Seagate-_-N82E16822148837) Not a bad deal...

again you don't need to spend $300 to make your computer faster.

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2012/03/23/57317/Patriot-120GB-Pyro-Series-Solid-State-Drive

that is WAY MORE than you need for OS.

Oh, I know. Newegg has several 120GB SSDs near the $120 mark as well. They also have a few 240GB SSDs near the $240 mark. Getting pretty close to $1/GB at those capacities at least. I'll be getting a new SSD to replace this 30GB soon, and the more I think of it the more I like the idea of using this 30GB SSD as a Windows 8 drive. :)

Zelda_fan
03-27-12, 05:09 PM
Don't get a hybrid. You're better off getting a small SSD for the OS, and then a large 7200RPM drive as a storage drive.

Cylphid
03-28-12, 12:35 PM
I've read great things about the Hybrid drives if used as boot drives. However, I don't think I need that much space in a boot drive. For the same price as the Momentus XT I can get a 120GB SSD, and $110 more gets me a 240GB SSD. Both of which are far greater in capacity than I need for an OS drive, and would yield far greater performance.

However, I'm still considering the XT as an option, just because it would offer great performance with enough storage to last me a *very* long time... I could install some programs, maybe store my pictures, documents, and such.

Good to hear great things about these drives from somebody that owns one though. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. :)

EDIT: Just saw this 750GB Momentus XT for $150. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837&nm_mc=OTC-RSS&cm_mmc=OTC-RSS-_-Laptop%20Hard%20Drives-_-Seagate-_-N82E16822148837) Not a bad deal...

Yeah, the performance of an SSD is hard to argue with - I'm thinking in terms of a laptop too, not desktops that can hold more than two hdds. :)

zigyasu
03-29-12, 03:58 PM
I have read only features and waiting for the launch of windows 8. I have read some features and picture password is really a great option and many other option i have liked in this.

mojoman0
03-31-12, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't waste your time with a small ssd either. They are a lot slower than the same models with higher capacities. The ocz vertex 3 drives are now usually under the $1 per gb barrier and fast as hell. I would keep it to 120gb minimum and load all of your apps on it for quick performance

Redeemed
03-31-12, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't waste your time with a small ssd either. They are a lot slower than the same models with higher capacities. The ocz vertex 3 drives are now usually under the $1 per gb barrier and fast as hell. I would keep it to 120gb minimum and load all of your apps on it for quick performance

Oh I'm not gonna' buy anything smaller than 120GB, infact I'd prefer 240GB just because I could put some programs and maybe even pictures and documents on the SSD. Not necessary by any means, but it'd be nice.

Windows 8 I couldn't give a fly's fart about, that's why I'll install it on my 30GB. I don't plan to use it very often. Why dump $120+ for a 120GB+ SSD for Windows 8 when I'll use it next to never? No the new SSD will be Windows 7 Ultimate and I'll use that far more than Windows 8. Only reason I'm even installing Windows 8 is so I'll be familiar with it to better help my clients. If I had it my way I'd never use Windows 8.

ElL33t
03-31-12, 09:13 PM
Meh.. Win7 is going to be the new XP :D

I think you are right. I will be Riding Win7 Till it dies. I didn't like Win8 at all.

Cylphid
04-03-12, 11:21 AM
I think you are right. I will be Riding Win7 Till it dies. I didn't like Win8 at all.

I bet they *fix* it in Win 9. I just can't see 8 doing any better, maybe worse than Vista at launch.

Redeemed
04-03-12, 03:01 PM
I bet they *fix* it in Win 9. I just can't see 8 doing any better, maybe worse than Vista at launch.

If I may allow me to correct you-

I believe windows 8 will do very well on portable touch-screen devices. On laptops and desktops however, it's going to tank.

So 9 will likely incorporate the successes of 8 an 7. My predictions at least. :o

Cylphid
04-03-12, 03:50 PM
If I may allow me to correct you-

I believe windows 8 will do very well on portable touch-screen devices. On laptops and desktops however, it's going to tank.

So 9 will likely incorporate the successes of 8 an 7. My predictions at least. :o

Yes you may allow you to correct me :lol:

According to MS execs who have been interviewed, what we see now is what we will get.

Cylphid
04-03-12, 04:49 PM
is it possible to install windows8 on a different partition with files in it? example partition E: with files? will it format that partition or can i keep the files and still install windows8?

You would want to resize (shrink) the existing partition that has the files in it, then create the new partition for 8 in the now empty space.

Just back your files up first. Win 8 (or 7 if this will be a dual boot machine) should be able to resize it for you no problem.

AthlonXP1800
04-11-12, 04:20 PM
Finally the good news for all users who hated Metro as start menu can now have full functional classic start menu back. :)

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

Download and install Classic Shell then you can have start menu icon back on desktop, it worked much better than Stardock Start8 and Vistart. When Classic Shell is up and running on desktop, you will be no longer use Metro when switch from desktop to start screen at the bottom left corner screen. Charm is worked, you can switch from desktop to start screen through Charm at bottom right corner screen.

With this and Windows 8 will probably will sell well, it will finally give Metro haters and wanted start menu back a peace of mind.

Cylphid
04-12-12, 08:11 AM
Finally the good news for all users who hated Metro as start menu can now have full functional classic start menu back. :)

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

Download and install Classic Shell then you can have start menu icon back on desktop, it worked much better than Stardock Start8 and Vistart. When Classic Shell is up and running on desktop, you will be no longer use Metro when switch from desktop to start screen at the bottom left corner screen. Charm is worked, you can switch from desktop to start screen through Charm at bottom right corner screen.

With this and Windows 8 will probably will sell well, it will finally give Metro haters and wanted start menu back a peace of mind.
I want the option to be built in by MS. Otherwise it's just a hacked/3rd party patched OS that gives me very little incentive to leave 7.

crainger
04-15-12, 04:53 AM
Yup, and every patch, service pack we'll ave to wait for the shell to be updated if it's not broken permanently.

I have the consumer preview on my laptop. It's pretty nifty, for a tablet, but anything else. It's just clunky. I can see why Valve is getting more and more buddy buddy with Apple.

Cylphid
04-15-12, 04:34 PM
Yup, and every patch, service pack we'll ave to wait for the shell to be updated if it's not broken permanently.

I have the consumer preview on my laptop. It's pretty nifty, for a tablet, but anything else. It's just clunky. I can see why Valve is getting more and more buddy buddy with Apple.

Yes, ran it on my laptop as well and it's not a seamless, enjoyable experience. Regarding Apple and Valve, I wouldn't even keep a windows partition if all my games would run natively on another OS.

I really don't care for MS and win8 give me another reason not too. :lol:

Redeemed
04-15-12, 04:59 PM
Yeah anybody I speak to regarding Windows 8 thinks it's gonna' be a failure. I'm of a mixed opinion- don't know what direction it's going to go in. If the sales of all in one desktops continues to increase, with touch interfaces, much to our dismay windows 8 may do very well.

However I don't think the omission of the start button and menu will be permanent. Far too many usage scenarios where that is just a more efficient UI. However I can see MS implementing a radically redesigned UI for Windows 9- one that is intuitive for touch as well as one more streamlined and natural for those rocking a keyboard and mouse (such as all of us here). Because of the failure I think Windows 8 might be I'm actually really excited about Windows 9. :p :lol:

Cylphid
04-15-12, 05:08 PM
Yeah anybody I speak to regarding Windows 8 thinks it's gonna' be a failure. I'm of a mixed opinion- don't know what direction it's going to go in. If the sales of all in one desktops continues to increase, with touch interfaces, much to our dismay windows 8 may do very well.

However I don't think the omission of the start button and menu will be permanent. Far too many usage scenarios where that is just a more efficient UI. However I can see MS implementing a radically redesigned UI for Windows 9- one that is intuitive for touch as well as one more streamlined and natural for those rocking a keyboard and mouse (such as all of us here). Because of the failure I think Windows 8 might be I'm actually really excited about Windows 9. :p :lol:

I'm not :lol: I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops or b: an OS that I have to hack to make what I want. The orb and menus are still there, registry tweaks are needed to make them accessible and future updates could easily break the hack and/or OS.

I agree with you about 9 though. I do hope 8 is an abysmal failure due to the touch interface.

nekrosoft13
04-16-12, 10:06 AM

windows 8 will be biggest failure on desktop and notebooks in MS history, it might be able to grab them a piece of tablet market.

i did few experiments at work, where I had my laptop, and gave it to few people in different departments to try it and use it for their daily tasks. Out of about 10 people, only one person liked it. 6 of them could not get back to the metro giant boxes screen. One person couldn't figure out how to logon to the pc in 20+ minutes.

nekrosoft13
04-16-12, 10:19 AM
I'm not :lol: I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops

I don't even like touch screen. again on tablet or phone is ok, because there is no other input method. but on laptop of desktop is just not efficient.

when I use my desktop at home or work I usually lean back in chair, keyboard is at the edge of desk, and monitor as far as possible in the back. i don't want to lean forward extend my arm over entire desk and make smudge marks on my calibrated ips screen so then when i would edit my pictures the snudge marks would slightly alter colors.

i just don't see benefit of waving your arms at a screen.