PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Cylphid
04-16-12, 10:45 AM
windows 8 will be biggest failure on desktop and notebooks in MS history, it might be able to grab them a piece of tablet market.

i did few experiments at work, where I had my laptop, and gave it to few people in different departments to try it and use it for their daily tasks. Out of about 10 people, only one person liked it. 6 of them could not get back to the metro giant boxes screen. One person couldn't figure out how to logon to the pc in 20+ minutes.

Normally I would laugh, but I had a similar experience. Their implementation is horrible for anything that doesn't have a touch screen. It might be great on tablets, but so is android :lol: and as far as I'm concerned a tablet is the only place 8 belongs.

I don't have any desktop PCs, but I agree with all your other points in the other post too. I'm either in my vehicle, at my desk or on the couch with a laptop that doesn't have a touch screen.

Metro = worthless to me, and so far, everyone I've had try it.

Redeemed
04-16-12, 11:45 AM
Personally I do agree with your points- Windows 8 offers nothing of interest to me.

However all in one desktop computer sales have been increasing. Many of them are touch screens. If this continues there is a possibility that as much as we may not like it 8 may be successful to some degree. Not saying it will be, just saying it is possible.

I still wont be using it as a main OS. I'll only have it so I can learn it to better assist my clients. 7 will be my home OS for the foreseeable future. :)

TheOneAndOnly
04-16-12, 12:05 PM
However all in one desktop computer sales have been increasing. Many of them are touch screens. If this continues there is a possibility that as much as we may not like it 8 may be successful to some degree. Not saying it will be, just saying it is possible.

I haven't seen one touch screen all-in-one that even looks decent enough to use. The screen is no where near as capable as a capacitive surface. And why the hell would one want to even use a vertical touch surface?
The only time I've seen that be useful is for industrial businesses that use touch screens for occasional use. Otherwise, what's the point of working against gravity? It makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm sorry, but thats just plain bad design.

Redeemed
04-16-12, 12:07 PM
I haven't seen one touch screen all-in-one that even looks decent enough to use. The screen is no where near as capable as a capacitive surface. And why the hell would one want to even use a vertical touch surface?
The only time I've seen that be useful is for industrial businesses that use touch screens for occasional use. Otherwise, what's the point of working against gravity? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Why don't you go ask all the average joes and grandma's that buy them from big box stores? :lol:

I agree with you, I'll likely never own an all in one let alone a touch screen. The general public, however...

Redeemed
04-16-12, 12:09 PM

That's what I keep telling your mom any time she starts talking about ya'.

:captnkill: :firedevil

TheOneAndOnly
04-16-12, 12:12 PM
Why don't you go ask all the average joes and grandma's that buy them from big box stores? :lol:

I agree with you, I'll likely never own an all in one let alone a touch screen. The general public, however...

...are typically Republicans... :bleh:

Redeemed
04-16-12, 12:13 PM
...are typically Republicans... :bleh:

:rofl

I MISSED YOU ORLY!!! :wonder:

:lol:

Cylphid
04-16-12, 12:33 PM

I think Redeemed works for one of those places that markets to.........................republicans :bleh:

:lol: Sorry Redeemed :D

MS is trying to push an OS that's geared towards a very small niche market, momma leaning over the counter to look up a recipe :lol:

Touch screens are very successful where they are most practical, tablets and phones, and even some tablets have keyboards that can be attached.

MS is banking on the market suddenly being flooded with touch screen PCs and no matter how it's done, one segment of the market or another is going to be *at best* inconvenienced. It's like someone said at the previews release, why would they want to alienate such a huge portion of their user base?

Bad design decisions, bad marketing strategy, disregarding the vast majority of their user base for what amounts to a change for the sake of saying "We did it differently!"

Yeah, I hope 8 ends horribly for MS. :lol:

Redeemed
04-16-12, 01:07 PM
I think Redeemed works for one of those places that markets to.........................republicans :bleh:

:lol: Sorry Redeemed :D

MS is trying to push an OS that's geared towards a very small niche market, momma leaning over the counter to look up a recipe :lol:

Touch screens are very successful where they are most practical, tablets and phones, and even some tablets have keyboards that can be attached.

MS is banking on the market suddenly being flooded with touch screen PCs and no matter how it's done, one segment of the market or another is going to be *at best* inconvenienced. It's like someone said at the previews release, why would they want to alienate such a huge portion of their user base?

Bad design decisions, bad marketing strategy, disregarding the vast majority of their user base for what amounts to a change for the sake of saying "We did it differently!"

Yeah, I hope 8 ends horribly for MS. :lol:

It is a gamble on their part. As I've said the sales for all in one desktop PCs has gown... but not by leaps and bounds either.

I think MS is gambling that the kind of desktops we use here, are going to become the niche markets. While the all in one PCs with touch screen will become the norm. Hence their focus on Metro.

There's a very big chance that wont happen, and the market for all in ones does not increase as they appear to be anticipating. If that's the case, then 8 will be a flop after which I can guarantee 9 will have some sort of re-introduction of the start button and menu.

The other alternative is as I've already stated- the sales of all in one touchscreen desktop PCs will grow as MS must think it will causing 8 to be a success. In which case we may never see start button and menu again without the use of hacks or even shells.

But from what I gather the Start Button and Menu have not been removed entirely, it's still possible to enable them via registry tweaks. If this is the case then it is likely MS did this for a reason. It seems like it'd be fully possible to release maybe with the first or second SP and "update" that re-enables the start button and menu "just in case" metro flops.

Cylphid
04-16-12, 01:11 PM
But from what I gather the Start Button and Menu have not been removed entirely, it's still possible to enable them via registry tweaks. If this is the case then it is likely MS did this for a reason. It seems like it'd be fully possible to release maybe with the first or second SP and "update" that re-enables the start button and menu "just in case" metro flops.

I'm not :lol: I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops or b: an OS that I have to hack to make what I want. The orb and menus are still there, registry tweaks are needed to make them accessible and future updates could easily break the hack and/or OS.

I agree with you about 9 though. I do hope 8 is an abysmal failure due to the touch interface.

:D

EDIT: And the touch screen market won't grow much.

I forbid it.

:D

Redeemed
04-16-12, 02:29 PM
:lol:

Rakeesh
04-16-12, 03:16 PM
When I hear the word metro it makes me think of that southpark episode where the whole town turned gay.

AthlonXP1800
04-22-12, 01:40 AM
As many say Windows 8 will be a failure when they didnt like or not accepted metro to replace start menu. Guess what? They are in tiny minority!

It is surprised Microsoft twitter confirmed Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very successful product downloaded and installed more than twice as many than Windows 7 beta.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-8-use-over-twice-that-of-windows-7-beta

Windows 7 beta had more than 8 million downloads (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Office-2010-Beta-as-Massive-as-Windows-7-s-7-5-Million-Downloads-140069.shtml) and installed so that mean Windows 8 Consumer Preview was downloaded and installed on more than 16 million PCs, it seemed they all are happy accepted metro.

crainger
04-22-12, 05:41 AM
When I hear the word metro it makes me think of that southpark episode where the whole town turned gay.

::wonder::

Cylphid
04-22-12, 01:09 PM
As many say Windows 8 will be a failure when they didnt like or not accepted metro to replace start menu. Guess what? They are in tiny minority!

It is surprised Microsoft twitter confirmed Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very successful product downloaded and installed more than twice as many than Windows 7 beta.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-8-use-over-twice-that-of-windows-7-beta

Windows 7 beta had more than 8 million downloads (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Office-2010-Beta-as-Massive-as-Windows-7-s-7-5-Million-Downloads-140069.shtml) and installed so that mean Windows 8 Consumer Preview was downloaded and installed on more than 16 million PCs, it seemed they all are happy accepted metro.

I bet ya 16 million PCs have malware on them too, doesn't mean it stays there. :lol:

Zelda_fan
04-23-12, 12:34 AM
Tablet PCs are the future. Desktops will slowly switch from mouse/keyboard to touchscreen/keyboard.

Just look at what Apple's doing and their ridiculous growth over the last 5 years. Microsoft is no fool. They want something that's going to compete with iOS, and Windows 8 is their answer. Whether it's well received or not... who knows, but it's not going to be a massive failure, I can guarantee you that.

tornadog
04-23-12, 03:17 PM
when the CP came out, I installed it on my primary PC. After 15 mins I removed it. Last week, I bought a Dell Inspiron One to try out the CP as a touch based OS. And color me impressed. Except for the clickable corners, the experience has been quite smooth.

As a casual OS it has been pretty good. I still wont put a metro ui based OS on my primary pc, but will definitely be looking out for windows 8 based tablets and phones in my next purchase list.

TheOneAndOnly
04-26-12, 11:01 PM
Tablet PCs are the future. Desktops will slowly switch from mouse/keyboard to touchscreen/keyboard.

Just look at what Apple's doing and their ridiculous growth over the last 5 years. Microsoft is no fool. They want something that's going to compete with iOS, and Windows 8 is their answer. Whether it's well received or not... who knows, but it's not going to be a massive failure, I can guarantee you that.

Tablet PC's have been out for almost a decade and they've never caught on to anything. If it isn't Microsoft screwing it up, its the OEMs that cant really design ****. Look at the Ultrabook push thats going on right now. Even now, after dozens of different designs have been released, the Mac Air is still above and beyond all of them when it comes to design alone.
As far as getting rid of the mouse and keyboard, unless Wintel can come up with a horizontal design that everyone will use, people better start working out now, before they get gorilla arm :lol: Otherwise, don't hold your breath.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have very little faith that Wintel can predict or control the future. As it is, they are still chasing Apple when it comes to hardware and software design and user experience. They have been for several years now. I see little chance of that changing anytime soon.

As far as Windows 8 goes, you are right, it won't be a massive failure. But it will be a massive step down from Windows 7 when it comes to customer satisfaction in the desktop and laptop markets. If Wintel tablets ever actually catch on, then I see it becoming more successful there. But then once again, MS is at the mercy of the OEM designers to make that happen. Again, not holding my breath.

TheOneAndOnly
05-01-12, 04:59 PM
Slow uptake of Windows 8 preview hints at lack of interest (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226710/Slow_uptake_of_Windows_8_preview_hints_at_lack_of_ interest)

Cylphid
05-01-12, 06:14 PM
Slow uptake of Windows 8 preview hints at lack of interest (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226710/Slow_uptake_of_Windows_8_preview_hints_at_lack_of_ interest)

Ain't looking great for 8....so far.

Rakeesh
05-03-12, 03:20 PM
I would upgrade to windows 8 if there is at least some way to disable metro without breaking the OS in some way. I like the backend changes and the changes to explorer, task manager, and a few other middleware apps.

six_storm
05-03-12, 03:37 PM
I would upgrade to windows 8 if there is at least some way to disable metro without breaking the OS in some way. I like the backend changes and the changes to explorer, task manager, and a few other middleware apps.

Wow something I agree on with Rakeesh!!! :D

crainger
05-03-12, 11:05 PM
Rakeesh doesn't disappoint. ::wonder::

Q
05-03-12, 11:11 PM
Couldn't this all be solved with an If/Then statement?

xpclient
05-04-12, 08:14 AM
Here's a Classic Shell skin I created: http://www.askvg.com/download-classic-shell-skin-to-get-windows-7-look-like-start-menu-and-start-button-in-windows-8/ to make it look exactly like the Windows 7 Start Menu.