PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from 9700 Pro to 5900 U.. WHAT WAS I THINKING??

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
09-04-03, 07:31 PM
On Sept 2002 I purchased a 9700 Pro and struggled with Catalyst drivers for months. Eventually they matured and I was in gaming bliss but I missed having an Nvidia vid card under the hood of my rig. Nvidia released the 5800, huge disappointment. I stayed far away. Then the 5900 U is released. After reading reviews I run out and get one....boy do I regret that day. I now have a real life nature demo running in my PC. Humming... video fluttering.... and I can bake a cake on this huge beast of a card. This thing gets HOT!! And to top it off the 5900 U is bearly faster than my old crusty 9700 Pro... WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?? Can someone please explain all this.. This entire situation has me depressed. :confused:

digitalwanderer
09-04-03, 07:42 PM
I could explain it, but I'd probably get banned. :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad, nVidia spent quite a bit of money on PR to convince people to upgrade just like you did. You were falsely pressured into it. ;)

ENU291
09-04-03, 07:54 PM
At this moment I'm rubbing on a rabbits foot praying that Nvidia will somehow figure out some way to correct these issues. I get the feeling that the fluttering on my monitor is some kind of Nvidia mind control!!! :D

ENU291
09-04-03, 07:59 PM
Just to clear things up.... I'm not Nvidia bashing. I am just stating what I am experiencing since I upgraded :( to the 5900 U. At least I found this great forum and know that I'm not alone in this.

Dazz
09-04-03, 08:17 PM
Try flashing your BIOS, i belive MSI have an update to fix this problem.
For more information of the problem visit this huge thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16032

windwaver
09-04-03, 10:32 PM
Are you sure you removed all traces of the ATi drivers?

xtremegamer
09-05-03, 10:12 AM
best advice i can give you is this...be patient and let the card grow on your. trust me the exact same thing happened to me and i even went from a 9700pro to a 5900U. just give the card time and possibly do a reinstallation so there is no confusion with old driver entries.

be patient and i promise it will pay off. NO card on the market can dance with the 5900U.

ragejg
09-05-03, 10:31 AM
xtremegamer, that last statement was bordering on flamebait FYI...

9700P can dance with a 5900U
9800 can dance with a 5900U
9800P can dance with a 5900U

... I can even dance with a 5900U :rolleyes:

Edge
09-05-03, 10:34 AM
Well, you couldn't have expected THAT much better performence, could you? Even a 9800 card is usually only a bit faster then a 9700 card, and the FX5900 is just competition for a 9800 card. In fact you really won't start to stress the cards until you turn on AA/Aniso at high res, which the 9x00 cards do more efficiantly then the FX series but the 5900 wins in raw speed so it evens out. You won't really find big jumps in performance in a single generation.

Though the video flickering is odd...perhaps you need to do a full reformat or flash the card's firmware (if it's a defect in older firmwares). Leaving over old driver entries can sometimes screw things up. Oh, and make sure your Bios settings are right, AGP Arpature and such can have big effects on your performence (and if you have a VIA mobo, for god's sake make sure you use the 4-in-1s!)

PreservedSwine
09-05-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by xtremegamer

be patient and i promise it will pay off. NO card on the market can dance with the 5900U.

:nono:

The Baron
09-05-03, 10:47 AM
why would you upgrade?

NV30 was a competitor to R300, and NV35 is the refresh. So basically, you've gone up one generation. If R300 was running things slowly, okay, that'd be one thing, but there is no game currently on the market that makes R300 really crawl... I dunno. People with too much money bother me.

Hanners
09-05-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
NV30 was a competitor to R300, and NV35 is the refresh. So basically, you've gone up one generation.

Not even that really... I'd call it half a generation at best.

LycosV
09-05-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ragejg
xtremegamer, that last statement was bordering on flamebait FYI...

9700P can dance with a 5900U
9800 can dance with a 5900U
9800P can dance with a 5900U

... I can even dance with a 5900U :rolleyes:

Dancing with it's easy, just don't expect it to lead. :D

LycosV

Paul
09-05-03, 12:23 PM
People baffle me.

zero.TA
09-05-03, 01:34 PM
What's the betting that if you haven't got at least a 550w PSU you will still have problems.

I've had to change to Antec 550W just to stop lock ups.

Wish I hadn't give my 9700 away :(

NKVD
09-05-03, 01:42 PM
I have to agree that you made a really dumb decision...the margin between performances of these two cards Radeon 9700 and FX 5900U is not that big, if noticable at all...Both of the cards are DirectX9 compatible....

Besides, did you read any reviews before getting 5900U ? I did a dumb mistake also, I bought FX 5900 right when it hit the market w/o looking at reviews and stuff...After seeing it peform in PS2 applications I RMA'd it. (thank god 30 days haven't passed since purchase, although I had 15% stocking fee deducted :( )...Now I am looking forward to get 9800 PRO

lordtoran
09-05-03, 02:40 PM
That's right, read several reviews first before buying a piece of hardware. I'm afraid to tell you that upcoming DX9 games will "dance" with your graphics card ... ATI has much more future.

ENU291
09-05-03, 05:14 PM
Well after reading alot of post on this forum I have decided to stick with the 5900 U and wait it out. In the mean time I have ordered an Antec True Power 550 PS and reinstalled XP. Hopefully the new PS will resolve the buzzing I am getting when I scroll my mouse wheel. I am still at a loss when it comes to resolving the blinking/fluttering I see when running in 3D mode. I haven't seen a resolution to this problem other than dumping my 21" NEC montior for a flat panel screen. That is a huge investment just to be able to use the 5900 U. Maybe my expectations of the 5900 U were to high. Oh well..... live and learn I always say. It's weird how things have changed. The 9700 Pro was released over a year ago and its still KICK ASS! That sez alot about the R&D guys that joined ATI from ArtX. I guess 3DFX technology didn't pay off as well as Nvidia had hoped.

:(

Skuzzy
09-05-03, 05:20 PM
Uh,..your scrolling mouse wheel problem in IE? Turn off smooth scrolling, in IE, and it will make that sound go away, in IE.

yoladude
09-05-03, 06:38 PM
out of curiosity, why DID you upgrade?

vampireuk
09-05-03, 06:48 PM
I can't understand "upgrading" from a 9700 Pro, the 9800 Pro and the 5900 just do not justify so much more money. My 9700 will last me quite a long time to say the least. :)

ENU291
09-05-03, 08:24 PM
I upgraded because this PC hobby has me addicted. Hardware junkies with the means to purchase these rediculously expensive components should know what I'm talkin about. Nothing's ever good enough. It's a sickness really. I think we should start some sort of help program. CAA.. (Computer Addicts Anonomous). :D

bkswaney
09-06-03, 01:36 AM
ATI just has great hardware and drivers. That is all u can really say. :)

ronin_razors
09-06-03, 02:13 AM
How can anyone say ati has great drivers? Each catalysts release proves that they still suck - take a look all these fixes they had to implement. These kind of faults just do not exist with nvidia.

enu, you post seems a little troll like but assuming for a second you might be genuine I'd say it depends on what games you play. 5900 spanks 9800 in opengl and will show a marked lead for doom3 (OK a ways off I'll accept). You should make sure you're completely removed all trace of ati from your system and you should make sure you have the latest bios and drivers for your 5900.

Personally I moved to 5900 because I just dont see nvidia having to fix these kind of issues....

Resolved Game Issues
This section provides information on game issues that have been resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™.

Running MS Links 2003 with Anisotropic filtering and Anti-Aliasing enabled results in vertical and horizontal lines being displayed within the game. This issue is known to occur under Windows XP with a RADEON™ 9700 series card installed
Switching the display resolution mode when playing Jedi Knight II or Quake 3 no longer results in display corruption being displayed on the top of the menu screen
Unreal Tournament 2003 highlight corruption is no longer seen when the pull down menu bar is used to choose a selection
The Windows XP system not responding when attempting to launch IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles if the display resolution is set to 1024x768 32bpp is now resolved. This issue was known to occur on the RADEON™ 9700, 9600, and 9500 series of cards
The Windows XP operating system no longer stop responding when switching the display resolution from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200 when playing Jedi Knight II
Configuring the game NASCAR Racing to 1600x1200 32 bpp under Windows ME with a RADEON™ 9600 series card installed no longer results in the system not responding
Selecting the pin camera in the game MS Links 2003 no longer results in the ground not being drawn correctly in the sub window. This issue was known to occur under Windows XP with the RADEON™ 9000 series card installed
Playing a multiplayer game in the lost city map in the game Will Rock no longer results in the sky flashing black images. This issue was known to occur under Windows XP with the RADEON™ 9000 series card installed
Slow playback of the game Remington Big Buck Trophy Hunt is now resolved. This issue was known to occur under Windows XP with a RADEON™ 9700, 9600 TX or 9500 series card installed
Configuring the game NeverWinter Nights with Nice 4 Sample Anti-Aliasing enabled and attempting to launch the game no longer results in the system failing to respond. This issue was known to occur under Windows XP with a RADEON™ 9800 SE or 9500 series card installed
Enabling Anti-Aliasing and attempting to take a screen shot results in a corrupt capture when running OpenGL games such as, CounterStrike, Half-Life, Quake III or Medal of Honour: Allied Assault
The Tron 2 demo no longer runs slowly on the RADEON™ 7200 and 9000 series
Anti-Aliasing support is now available for the game Giants Citizen Kabuto

Sazar
09-06-03, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by ronin_razors
How can anyone say ati has great drivers? Each catalysts release proves that they still suck - take a look all these fixes they had to implement. These kind of faults just do not exist with nvidia.

fyi... from the official release notes of nvidia drivers 45.23

outstanding issues

• PTC Division Mockup: This application crashes during startup.
• Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2: Application hangs with a black screen when starting a race with 4x or 4xS Antialiasing enabled with an NVIDIA non-Ultra GeForce™ FX 5200 (Quadro® FX 500) series graphics cards.
Workaround Solution: Turn off antialiasing in the NVIDIA Performance
and Compatibility Settings panel.
• Midnight Club 2: The starting screen of this application has corruption
when antialiasing is enabled.
Workaround Solution: Turn off antialiasing in the NVIDIA Performance
and Compatibility Settings panel. You can follow the steps in the previous
page, if needed:
• Big Mutha Truckas: When running this application, enabling antialiasing
with graphics cards in the GeForce FX 5900 (or Quadro FX 3000) family can
cause corruption during the introduction of the game and when ending the
game.
• Flight Simulator 9: Running this application under Windows XP with
antialiasing enabled causes corruption on the viewport.
• Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003: Under Windows XP, when using an
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 (or Quadro FX 3000) series graphics card, this
application cannot run with a 256 MB frame buffer.
Workaround Solution: In order to use 256 MB NVIDIA-based graphics
cards with Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003, download the following patch from
Electronic Arts using the following link:
http://www.easports.com/platforms/games/tigerwoods2003/downloads.jsp
• NVIDIA Direct3D™ Logo: Under Windows XP, when the NVIDIA
Direct3D logo is enabled, certain Direct3D applications have rendering
problems. Symptoms can range from nothing being rendered to flickering.

issues fixed :

• The display exhibits corruption in the Unigraphics 18.0.5.2 in drafting
application.
• Continued model rotation results in increased memory usage in Unigraphics
18.05.2 and NX 1.02.3.
• I-deas 10 crashes in the process nbb.exe after a large virtual memory
allocation.
• Running “The Sims 2” creates a blue-screen crash.
• Think3 requests Control Panel enables “use block transfer” option for
OpenGL buffer flipping mode.
• CATIA certification issue: Problem with display list compilation causes
incomplete visualization.
• A dragon model is missing from the Dragothic test in 3D Mark 2001 SE.
• The “Add OpenGL” tab shows a “Stereo DIN pin” option that is not
available.
• Character truncated in NVIDIA Properties “Direct3D” tab under Windows
XP Japanese.
• In Windows XP Portuguese (Brazilian), there are localization errors on the
main NVIDIA Properties tab.
• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City exhibits significant corruption after a couple of
minutes of play.
• The walls in Splinter Cell have anomalous textures.
• Quake II flashes on GeForce 256 systems.
• Switching output devices on a desktop that has been rotated resets the
resolution to 640x480 from 1024x768.
• “Command & Conquer: Generals” shows corruption during scene-to-scene
transitions in story mode.
• When 3D Mark 2003 is set to 2/4 sample antialiasing, its demo mode
introduction is not rendered properly and it pauses between demos.
• Playback of AVI in full-screen mode tears on a T221 monitor.
• Digital flat panels go out of sync or blank when the Screen Adjustment
scaling is changed.
• A Quadro4 980 XGL system hangs or stops when running a PTC Pro/
ENGINEER Wildfire script.
• On a Quadro NVS 400 running Windows NT® 4.0, all monitors go black for
1-2 seconds during logon.
• On a Quadro NVS 400 running Windows NT 4.0, the monitor ordering has
changed from 1234 to 1324.
• The water in Splinter Cell is not rendered correctly on GeForce FX 5xxx
systems.
• The nView™ Menu Options choice is not available from the title bar with
Exceed 7.1 or 8.0.
• NVKeystone™ can take two minutes to start under Windows XP.
• EDS I-deas Master Series 7 does not start on a Quadro4 980XGL because of
an application error.
• Black screen displayed when Rally Sport Challenge launched under
Windows ME.
• Flash of corruption seen if 3D screen saver previewed when 2X or NVIDIA
Quincunx™ antialiasing is set.
• Direct3D applications exhibit flickering lines of corruption when antialiasing
is set to 2x or Quincunx in 16-bit modes.
• A Macrovision error occurs when DVD movies are played using the 41.09
drivers.
• In Windows XP Chinese, a DMCPL.EXE error occurs when one of two
Overlay Controls windows is closed.
• Logging on as nonAdministrator causes NVcpl.dll loading error: “One or
more arguments are invalid.”

just wanted to let you know ALL software has issues with products that are out there... nothing is perfect... nvidia's drivers and ati's drivers both have relevant issues in various situations... to think otherwise is not accepting this fact...