PDA

View Full Version : Problem I've noticed in many machines/flat panel monitors with geforce cards

TeeB
09-05-03, 01:00 PM
Hi. I recently bought an hp computer with a nvidia geforce 440 mx card in it. While comparing computers and 15 inch flatpanel lcd monitors, I noticed poor text quality in many of the 15 inch lcds. I actually returned 2 dell computers because of it, thinking it was a defective system/s. The dell monitors that had this problem worked fine on a friends dell computer. And the only real difference with his machine was that it had a rage 32 mb card in it.

Anyway, with my hp and f1503 lcd momnitor, I notice where the problem lies. I just dont know why or a fix.

The problem is this, and like I said before, I've noticed it on many computers that have nvidia cards in them, although at the time I didnt know the nvidia was the common denominator.

You launch IE, start browsing the internet and everything is fine. The text colors look nice clear and sharp. Then, after visiting yahoo email, loggin in, no matter where i go after that, the colors get faded and watercolory. Like they were written with a magic market. I'm talking about the text, not the graphics. Especially fonts larger than 3. It doesn't look nice.

If I close the browser and relaunch it or just launch the browser again, everything is back to normal. I've put the latest driver in, and made sure the monitor is ok, but still this happens.

Like I said, I've seen it on many different machines/lcds that have a nvidia card in them, with every imaginable configuration.

Has anyone else noticed this? Can this be corrected?

Also, there seems to be a slight very low high pitch noise coming from the cpu. Is that the cooler on the card?

thanks for any help.

TeeB
09-05-03, 01:43 PM
I just noticed, visiting this forum triggers the change too.

saturnotaku
09-05-03, 02:04 PM
My laptop has an LCD (obviously) that runs off a GeForce4 440 Go (GeForce4 MX) and I've never seen this. I've also tested LCD monitors on a GF FX 5800 Ultra and 5900 and haven't seen anything like this. I've also tried an LCD on a GeForce2 Ti and it behaved just fine. Are you using the VGA or DVI inputs on the card? Is this happening with one specific brand/model of monitor? Have you checked the monitor cable?

NKVD
09-05-03, 02:21 PM
totally agree with the author of thread......

right now I have GF-3 ti200 and have this problem in game "Operation Flashpoint" when in multiplayer menu (choosing servers)...It looks like top half of screen is kinda washed(distorted image) and bottom half is nice and clear.......maybe my eyes are starting to fook up or Im getting old too early, or GF-3 card is messed up.....Btw, the resolution is 1600x1200x32 at 75hz.

p.s. Ive got brand new KDS 19" CRT monitor.

TeeB
09-05-03, 02:26 PM
Its happened on every 15" lcd monitor computer that Ive ever tried that had a geforce 4 on it. I just hooked up the monitor in the standard way - the connections are fine. Not sure if it is analog or digital. I just did the standard assembly. And again, every computer, at different stores, does this.

It very subtle. You need to compare an unaffected browser window to one that has visited yahoo.com email (or whatever triggers it) to see it. It looks like the text gains a little transparency. Its not sharply drawn out. Its easy to see on colored text links. Also seems like the card makes a little noise.

I'm gonna open the machine and see if the noise is from the card - because if it is, I'm gonna put a different card in as I dont like high pitch frequencies - which might also solve the other problem

I'm thinking about just putting an old rage card in it as I'm not a gamer and just want a quiet consistent machine.

LycosV
09-05-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by NKVD
totally agree with the author of thread......

right now I have GF-3 ti200 and have this problem in game "Operation Flashpoint" when in multiplayer menu (choosing servers)...It looks like top half of screen is kinda washed(distorted image) and bottom half is nice and clear.......maybe my eyes are starting to fook up or Im getting old too early, or GF-3 card is messed up.....Btw, the resolution is 1600x1200x32 at 75hz.

p.s. Ive got brand new KDS 19" CRT monitor.

Sorry to be off-topic, but 1600x1200x32 in Operation Flashpoint on a GF3!!?? a Ti200!!?? :eek: You either have some different settings than I had on my GF3, or can take a much lower FPS.

LycosV

euan
09-05-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by LycosV
Sorry to be off-topic, but 1600x1200x32 in Operation Flashpoint on a GF3!!?? a Ti200!!?? :eek: You either have some different settings than I had on my GF3, or can take a much lower FPS.

LycosV

Maybe the TFT is doing scaling?

GlowStick
09-06-03, 01:39 AM
Hello,

I dont belive you are useing a analog connection, if its the same that you connect a CRT to, then its analog.

Analog isnt nessasarily bad, so i wouldnt worrie about it, i dont belive your card has a DVI out anyways.

Dose this happen on CRT's too?

Also, if you have some time, id try to borrow a friends card for a bit and do your test, if a certin card suddenly makes the problem go away, i would consider buying it.

Id also recomend you read or browse though http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1855 that article is pritty good if you dont know much about yoru LCD.

If you dont play 3d games, but just use your computer to web browse, id recomend a matrox card, my friend bhought this one for work, and i was useing his work computer and i have to say its AWESOME, and cheep heh. They also have Linux support.

http://www.emicrox.com/eShop/product.aspx?pid=879604

zero.TA
09-06-03, 04:24 PM
I have 2 Compaq TFT's and have no problems at all with them.:D

EMunEeE
09-06-03, 05:10 PM
Maybe he is just used to an ATi card.

ricercar
09-06-03, 05:24 PM
Perhaps you need to set the "LCD tracking" better on your displays. I use a wide variety of NVIDIA cards from GeForce256 through GeForce FX 5900, and both analog/digital flat panels. I've never had blurred displays once I learned to set the LCD tracking.

NV10 / NV11 x5 different cards / nForce1 x3 / NV15 x2 / NV17 / nForce2 x2 / NV18 / NV25 x6 / NV28 x2 / NV30 x4 / NV35 x2

Apple Studio Displays, 15" (Analog x2 / DVI x1)

zero.TA
09-06-03, 06:03 PM
Whats LCD Tracking and how'd u do it :confused:

ricercar
09-06-03, 06:47 PM
On Apple LCDs there are a number of on-screen controls for horizontal and vertical position, sharpness, black level, white point, sharpness, and tracking.

Changing the tracking sharpens text that was blurry, which was particularly evident on nvnews.net. I don't know the technical explanation.