PDA

View Full Version : Geforce4 Ti4200 upgrade to ATI 9800 Non-Pro

slappy
09-05-03, 09:09 PM
Hello,

I have the opportunity to upgrade for very little money from a Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 128meg to an ATI 9800 128meg Non-Pro Version.

I have 2 computers with very similar setups...one runs the ATI 9800 card and the other the Geforce4 Ti 4200.

One of the main games I like to play is Counter Strike and noticed that it looks so much better running on the Geforce card. ATI's anti-aliasing and aniscropic filtering settings must be quite different from Nvidia's. Even when playing around with the settings for quite awhile the Geforce card 'still' looks better. While even with all the graphic settings cranked the graphics were still jagged and had a noticeable difference in quality. The latest Catalyst drivers being used on the ATI card.

I even tried the new Call of Duty demo and also came to this conclusion. It seemed that on the ATI card alot more 'tweaking was necessary (graphics options within the game and ATI's control panel) to get the game and its effects to look as nice as the Geforce. Most notable the shellshock effect.

I am by no means a Geforce pusher...these are observations made without bias towards either company.

Im looking forward to HalfLife2 and pretty much everyone (including developers) are touting that an ATI card is the way to go. But I just don't see it.

Not sure wut to think.

stncttr908
09-05-03, 09:16 PM
Do you run -32bpp in the command line for CS? If not, AA won't even work. :D

Lfctony
09-07-03, 06:32 AM
I don't know if tweaking was needed but I do know that Nvidia's 4xAA is not up to par with ATI's. I use QCunx on my system, as I can barely tell the difference in quality. 4X is a LITTLE better but much more demanding, plus there are some angles in which QC is better than 4X. No question which chips produce the best image. Its all game-set-match to ATI on this one.

Dazz
09-07-03, 06:57 AM
Well i upgraded from a ASUS Ti4400 128MB to a Radeon 9800NP and it was one of the best things i did. FSAA is far better then anything the GF4 could do, text doesn't becoming blurry with 3x FSAA I can run ALL my games at 1024x768 + 4x FSAA + 16x AF. With the GF4 i wasn't much of a fan with FSAA but since i got this and has little performance hit i now stick it on all the time and don't know how i could live without it :D

Can't really say about counter strike (don't play it) but i heard you have to force 32bit which makes it look better then the nVIDIA cards as they do it in the natural 16bit, but FSAA doesn't work from what i have been told. As for call of duty i couldn't tell any diffrence from my GF4 and Radeon w/o FSAA & AF of course.

CaptNKILL
09-07-03, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by slappy
Hello,

I have the opportunity to upgrade for very little money from a Asus Geforce4 Ti4200 128meg to an ATI 9800 128meg Non-Pro Version.

I have 2 computers with very similar setups...one runs the ATI 9800 card and the other the Geforce4 Ti 4200.

One of the main games I like to play is Counter Strike and noticed that it looks so much better running on the Geforce card. ATI's anti-aliasing and aniscropic filtering settings must be quite different from Nvidia's. Even when playing around with the settings for quite awhile the Geforce card 'still' looks better. While even with all the graphic settings cranked the graphics were still jagged and had a noticeable difference in quality. The latest Catalyst drivers being used on the ATI card.

I even tried the new Call of Duty demo and also came to this conclusion. It seemed that on the ATI card alot more 'tweaking was necessary (graphics options within the game and ATI's control panel) to get the game and its effects to look as nice as the Geforce. Most notable the shellshock effect.

I am by no means a Geforce pusher...these are observations made without bias towards either company.

Im looking forward to HalfLife2 and pretty much everyone (including developers) are touting that an ATI card is the way to go. But I just don't see it.

Not sure wut to think.

Make sure you are changing the settings for OpenGL games, rather than Direct 3d. I dont have an ATI card, so I dont know how the graphics options are layed out, but Nvidia's control both D3D and OGL with the same sliders, so you dont need to worry about which mode you are changing. Half-Life and Call of Duty are OpenGL games.
Hope that helps.

Dazz
09-07-03, 12:16 PM
This is the kind of layout they use.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=3108

The Baron
09-07-03, 12:18 PM
Yeah, ATI drivers are very different from NVIDIA's. They take getting used to. Is it a bad thing? Meh, not really. They remind me of 3dfx drivers of yore...

Dazz
09-07-03, 12:19 PM
I found them a little strange but you get used to them :)

The Baron
09-07-03, 12:21 PM
I think one of the best things ATI could do would be to have a Normal Mode and an Advanced Mode. Normal would have unified D3D and OGL AA and AF sliders and pretty much organize everything on a single pane, while Advanced would be what they have now.

Meh, just a thought.

B&R
09-07-03, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
I found them a little strange but you get used to them :)

slappy
09-07-03, 12:43 PM
Well I got rid of the old Geforce and installed the 9800np card. I must say WOW what a difference. In the Call of Duty demo I increased my fps by 40!

I also was not aware of the -32bpp command which now makes counter strike look real sweet. Too bad the textures for the game are so low. Oh well can't have everything.

I also got the Rage3D tweak program and overclocked the card to 9800 Pro speeds and gained an extra 14fps in Call of Duty. Great demo by the way and worth the download. Only wish it wasn't so short. :(

Anybody looking to save some bucks on a new video card get a 9800 non-pro and overclock it up. This can either be done by software or by flashing the bios. Great way to save some bucks and increase performance.

To sum it all up...BIG Performance Boost. Bring on the games! :D

Rogozhin
09-07-03, 12:56 PM
Right on

Neova
09-07-03, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking about upgrading from my Ti4200 to a 9800 so here is my question for those of you who did:

Does 4x or 6x AA on the 9800 look as good or BETTER than 8xS on the 4200? I know the FX card's AA implementation don't look so hot. What about AF filtering?

I play with 8x AF and depending on the game, up to 8xS AA, which I think is incredible, especially on older games.

I can post a Ti4200 SS for comparison if anyone wants. Just pick a game that I have though. hehe

The Baron
09-07-03, 05:40 PM
6x looks at least as good as 8xS. AF isn't as good on ATI cards at weird angles, but for most FPS games, you won't notice it. Flight sims, though.. that would probably be where you could instantly tell the difference between NVIDIA and ATI AF.

yoladude
09-07-03, 07:45 PM
i think nvidia's real downfall in image quality came with the fx line. as i recall, geforce4 cards had excellent quality, and therefore, aa/af had a tremendous performance hit.

Dazz
09-07-03, 07:48 PM
THe FX line had better IQ then the GF4, it was just the GF4 did AF in software/hardware mode and had a huge peformance hit.