PDA

View Full Version : flaky DVD

Smashed
09-06-03, 12:00 AM
My Afreey 10X DVD has been giving me all sorts of weird trouble. I can't enable any DMA modes, Windows doesn't detect the drive about half the time, seek times are slow, and it occasionally causes irrecoverable system freezes. Sometimes during DVD playback it'll superimpose a green grid over the picture, and only a reboot will fix it.

I'm planning on picking up a new DVD since they're dirt cheap, but now I'm wondering if the problem might be caused by something other than the drive. I have a MSI KT3 Ultra m/b with two hard disks on the primary IDE channel and a CD burner master and DVD slave on the secondary channel. I'm using Via's IDETool for settings, and I can enable DMA on the three other drives. The DVD only shows PIO mode 0 support.

Anyone have ideas or suggestions about this problem?

The Baron
09-06-03, 12:01 AM
You tried setting the DVD to master and CDRW to slave? Some people say their DVD drives only work in that configuration... I dunno, I've always done it the other way around. Or maybe I haven't... I forget how mine are configured at the moment.

Smashed
09-06-03, 06:19 PM
I set the CDRW (Liteon 5224) as the master since it's much faster than the DVD. But I suppose it's worth a try switching them around. I'll let you know if it helps.

Smashed
09-07-03, 12:03 AM
Tried switching them around, but now the CDRW isn't being detected by Windows. I just noticed something that might be significant though. IDETool is saying that my hard drives are connected on an 80 pin cable and the optical drives are on a 40 pin.

According to various Google sources, 40 pin is ok for anything up to U-DMA mode 2. But perhaps 80 pin would be more robust since there are two drives on that channel. It's worth spending $10 to find out.