PDA

View Full Version : Networking cable modem

Jon
09-06-03, 04:51 PM
I have one computer and a cable modem upstairs and one computer downstairs. Bearing in mind that usually one of the computers will be switched off, I don't want to network the two computers. I would like both computers to be connected to the cable modem though. So do I plug the two computers and cable modem into a router, switch, hub or any of the above?

digitalwanderer
09-06-03, 05:09 PM
I'd recomend a good cable/router. I got DSL and went thru the same thing. I tried to just link 'em all thru software, but it was a bloody nightmare!

A $30 4-port/DSL speedstream router fixed all that ailed me. I hooked it up, and it just all worked. I thought it was a bloody miracle! :lol:

I'd HIGHLY suggest getting yourself a router. I don't know enough to recomend one to you, but I believe they're the way to go. :)

ricercar
09-06-03, 05:13 PM
Any of the above. A hub and a switch will be equivalent performance if you have only one computer connected to the modem at any time.

- A hub will broadcast all network traffic to all devices that are connected.

- A switch will direct each item of network traffic to only the device it's intended for. A switch is useful for example if you two local computers transferring files and a third computer loading a web page from a cable modem; the file transfer traffic won't interfere with the web page load time.

- A router adds a firewall to the switch, as well as more complex functions like DHCP serving. A router will add a firewall between your computer and cable modem; this is usually desireable because with most cable companies you and your neighbors are effectively all on the same LAN!

--
If you have one computer downstairs, it may be useful to get a wireless router and a wireless card, so you don't have to run CAT5 cable a long distance. Routers are relatively inexpensive, these days, and like DW says, aren't very hard to configure.

Jon
09-08-03, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the info, I've been looking around at whats available and am thinking of going for a Netgear RP614 Router. I thought about going for a wireless router, but as the computers are in different rooms / floors, I'm not sure how good a signal I will get.