PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Academy Demo

Clay
09-06-03, 07:14 PM
This two level demo was just released yesterday (Sep. 5). gamershell.com is a good place to d/l it right now.

The Baron
09-06-03, 07:19 PM
What's sad is that the ISO has been floating around since mid August... I hear it's cool, but I don't know how well it will fare with Halo and HL2 being released at basically the same time.

And before you get any ideas, no, I do not have it. I am not a warez monkey.

Anyway, somebody post on whether or not it fixes the Stupid Crap present in JK2. You know, the Pull/Backstab crap, Absorb stopping all forward motion so you can still be killed when Force Jumping... stuff like that.

Clay
09-06-03, 07:30 PM
Oh really? That blowz, warezing sux. I'm installing it now. I never played JK much really cause my system was really underpowered during that time and once I upgraded I just never got around to it.

Nutty
09-06-03, 07:36 PM
Was playing the demo today.. didn't like it much.. Thought the graphics were below average, especially the facial stuff..

Didn't like the controls, and all the fighting seemed just messy.. i.e. no precisions to it or anything.. sometimes getting hit alot in the process.. maybe its just me I dunno..

Because of the messyness, it seemed sometimes baddies would die straight away, other times I had ended up dying against the same baddie over and over for ages, until it just worked..

The Baron
09-06-03, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Because of the messyness, it seemed sometimes baddies would die straight away, other times I had ended up dying against the same baddie over and over for ages, until it just worked..
Pretty much what I figured. It's a Jedi Knight 2 expansion pack repackaged as a full game... blah.

digitalwanderer
09-06-03, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Pretty much what I figured. It's a Jedi Knight 2 expansion pack repackaged as a full game... blah.
No, it ain't. It's actually a pretty good stand-alone game with a unique plot/perspective and the ability to design your character is really cool....

....at least that's what I've heard.... ;)

Clay
09-06-03, 07:50 PM
I agree. It seems very console-ish. Just felt like I was mashing keys at random to accomplish anything. The character customizations are neat but that's about all I cared for. ...uninstalling it now...wow, that didn't even last 20 minutes. :)

adv1
09-06-03, 08:05 PM
I read quite a few negative opinions about this demo on various forums, but I decided to try the demo anyway.

I didn't think much of it really, just feels like JK2 all over again. The style of gameplay and the graphics engine feel old-fashioned now. You can spend time selecting equipment and weapons but there's not much point as you tend to ignore them and just stick with the lightsabre.

I would guess people who played all through JK and JK2 will probably be happy with this game, as it's just more of the same, but for the rest of us there's not really anything of interest here.

CaptNKILL
09-07-03, 10:50 AM
Gah, I gave this game a few tries but its just not fun.

And for some reason, it runs like ass on my computer.... its probably because this video card has the processing power of a carrot :rolleyes:

The combat is just dumb. You swing a dozen times but the dumb ass character is too busy making fancy, elaborate moves to actually strike the enemy thats 3 feet away. I stood right in front of a guy and swung my saber for 15 seconds before the saber finally hit where my Xhairs where pointing.

Also, the guns are dumb. They do almost no damage and are all pretty innacurate. The only gun I have used successfully is the blaster pistol's secondary fire charged to full. Everything else takes a dozen hits to kill someone.

Looks like I'll be skipping this one.