PDA

View Full Version : In Bf42 FPS over 60 but perf is choppy?

Spleen0
09-07-03, 04:10 PM
OK, maybe I'm out to lunch here but I'm occasionally having a problem with BF 1942 on one of my systems. While playing the game and using FRAPS I can see that the framerate is quite good (50-80) but the game still seems very choppy occasionally although I never see the framerate dive in FRAPS. My ping seems to stay relatively constant too. Nonetheless the game stutters (and it's spelled stuTTer folks, honest) and if it's not the framerate or the ping I'm damned if I know what the hell is going on.

I don't know that it's a problem with BF or not but my other system (w/R9700) seems OK.

Here's the specs of the system I'm having grief with:

Athlon 2500 w/A7N8X-X mobo
512mb DDR 333
Geforce 3 Ti200 @ 210/480
Onboard sound, NIC

I play BF all details full, textures at 80% in 1024 x 768 and for the most part it's smooth as buttah except for these lapses that appear to have nothing to do with framerate or ping.

Does anyone have any idea WTF is up with that?

Edge
09-07-03, 04:41 PM
Hmm...almost sounds like an issue with virtual memory, but I wouldn't think that would be it with 512 megs of ram. Well you might actually want to change some audio settings, I remember GTA3 was choppy as hell when I turned A3D on. Also, maybe ENABLE V-sync, it will lower the overall framerate but it will make it more consistent, it *might* help.

Oh, and are the skips totally random or do they only happen during certain events? If you stand still in one place does it skip as much as when your moving?

digitalwanderer
09-07-03, 04:49 PM
What programs do you have running in the background or what have you installed/updated lately?

arise
09-07-03, 05:05 PM
can be sound related...try to reduce the sound sources, or quality to medium...also turn off hardware acceleration for sound.

Spleen0
09-07-03, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the speedy replies guys!

Haven't noticed anything in particular that sets off the stuttering, I can be all by myself or in heat of battle. I noticed this in Desert Combat BTW and haven't checked normal BF.
Relatively clean install of Xp Pro w/service pack 1. I think I'm even using DX8.1 and not 9.
Using Dets 43.45.

No hardware acceleration on sound.
Vsync disabled but I'll try it.

Only programs running in background are FRAPS and... Asusprobe Hardware monitor... hmmm...

I wonder if the hardware monitor could be giving me grief. Well, I'm off to try a couple things.

The Baron
09-07-03, 05:19 PM
Det 43.45? I had stuttering with that too in various things--give 45.23 a shot.