PDA

View Full Version : Can't Play HL2 Standard SP offline ( after playing MP once )

Pages : [1] 2

bloodbob
09-07-03, 09:36 PM
http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915714,91503900

Edge
09-07-03, 09:48 PM
I heard about all of the registry stuff you have to do with HL2, and I must say it majorly sucks. I'm almost debating getting it because of that. I have a feeling it's going to have some VERY annoying limitations like that. I probably won't be going online with the game until I've beaten it, since I sure as hell am not going to dial up everytime I want to play single-player.

Oh, and one thing about Steam that I'm worried about: It says it requires Broadband to use steam, and HL2 is "powered by steam". Does that mean 56k can't play HL2 online?!? If so, that majorly sucks for me, I can't get broadband in my area (well, not yet, apperently some company now says they have an intrest in it).

digitalwanderer
09-07-03, 10:31 PM
I'm predicting that Valve is gonna shoot themselves in the foot with the Steam distribution system in the same way that iD shot themselves in the foot with the Quake demo disk that you could call them up and unlock the full-version on, as well as the rest of their library.

It was a great model in theory, 'til someone put out a crack program that let people unlock it themselves. I think the same will happen with HL2 & Steam.

rokzy
09-07-03, 11:10 PM
using steam to authenticate is a good idea for stopping online cheaters.

ONLINE cheaters, not ****ing "single player cheaters", not ****ing "your mate at a LAN cheaters".

I've never had a pirate game before or used hacks, but it seems like valve saw what the RIAA are doing and thought they were a great company and well respected by their customers.

when you cripple your products and force piracy to be the only way it will work properly, you're pissing off everyone else just to make things worse for yourself.

silence
09-08-03, 01:05 AM
this really sucks....who are they to force me to anything with game i payed with my cash?

if i payed to play i want to do it without these kind of things going on.....unlocking single every time u try to play on net?....i rather wait for some solution to that then call/connect to their servers, i simply dont like the idea of this kind of control.....

rokzy
09-08-03, 01:21 AM
this is basically just DRM applied to computer games.

it destroys your ability to use something YOU OWN just because the publishers are retarded control freaks.

one day, you won't be able to listen to a CD unless you have a internet-enabled CD player.

let's hope the EU doesn't follow the US down the road of software patent retardedness...

deejaya
09-08-03, 01:33 AM
I'm not too bothered by this. After finishing SP I'm only going to play online anyway. I have broadband too which helps. I can understand everyone's feelings about it though.

I can't see why they are doing this though. It won't stop people pirating as it will be well known not to play online with a pirate copy. They just won't go online with it. Maybe this relates to the single player "Steam Powered" HL2 you can buy online and download to play?

rokzy
09-08-03, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by deejaya
Maybe this relates to the single player "Steam Powered" HL2 you can buy online and download to play?

FAQ:
"some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required."

LycosV
09-08-03, 02:49 AM
As a company I've never really been impressed with Valve. They always come up with really stupid ideas (powerplay, steam) and this is another one of them.

LycosV

bloodbob
09-08-03, 05:10 AM
interseting thought if you get banned for cheating through I assume VAC 2 for HL 2 then will you get banned from playing LAN games?? runing servers ???(theres a dedicated server option for stream for HL 1 ) and from playing single player.

Could be very interesting if they can ban people from playing single player.

StealthHawk
09-08-03, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by bloodbob
interseting thought if you get banned for cheating through I assume VAC 2 for HL 2 then will you get banned from playing LAN games?? runing servers ???(theres a dedicated server option for stream for HL 1 ) and from playing single player.

Could be very interesting if they can ban people from playing single player.

If Valve banned cheaters from ever using their copy of HL2 again I could care less. In fact, I would welcome such extreme measures. How many cheaters would be willing to risk their game to hack in online games? I'm sure it would cut things down alot.

As for this whole Steam verification thing, I have my doubts as to whether or not this is being misinterpreted somehow. It seems really stupid. Not everyone in the world has broadband.

rokzy
09-08-03, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
If Valve banned cheaters from ever using their copy of HL2 again I could care less. In fact, I would welcome such extreme measures. How many cheaters would be willing to risk their game to hack in online games? I'm sure it would cut things down alot.

As for this whole Steam verification thing, I have my doubts as to whether or not this is being misinterpreted somehow. It seems really stupid. Not everyone in the world has broadband.

a possible problem is the people who are really interested in hacking HL2 to cheat are probably also going to hack it so they don't get caught cheating.

it's not like cheaters gave up and went away the day punkbuster/cheating-death got released.

how do you feel about YOU being banned forever from using your copy of HL2 because someone hacked the authentication server?

want to finish your single player game? no problem, just send proof of purchase and two forms of ID to valve...

Edge
09-08-03, 10:26 AM

Apperently, they do expect everyone in the world to have broadband, or at least those playing HL2. Even Steam itself has been touted as "a broadband business platform". One of the requirements of the Steam beta was broadband internet, if they don't change the requirement for the final then they're be effectivly saying that only people with Broadband will be able to play online...or at a LAN for that matter.

And there has been a lot of verification and re-verification of this, and so far they haven't indicated otherwise. EVERYONE will need a seperate copy of HL2 at a lan, EVERYONE will need to verify the authentication info on the internet when they start Half-life 2 after they authorise their copy, EVERYONE will have to authorise the game to play multi-player. Needless to say, if this is true we won't be playing HL2 when we have LANs at my friend's house who only has 56k.

Oh, and one other thing I heard (not sure if they did decide to add this to Half-life 2 or not) is that the authentication system is hardware based like Windows XP's, meaning if you change your hardware you'll need to re-authorise the game.

de><ta
09-08-03, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by rokzy
FAQ:
"some Steam-enabled single-player games (such as Half-Life 2) purchased at a retail store will allow offline play until the user decides to play online or enable other Steam functionality. From that point on, an Internet connection will be required."

Is it possible to set up a partion on you harddrive to get past this? I am not fully versed in Steam. However it still sucks restarting and booting to a different partion just to play the single palyer HL2...:(

GlowStick
09-08-03, 10:47 AM
Hi,

My big beef with steam is that if you are playing a LAN game they require everyone to have a internet connection for athuntication.

Me and my friends hold our lan's never at my house where we have cable, so we could all be trying to share one crappy dial up connection, hah.

Cyberz
09-08-03, 11:00 AM
that will be hacked!
so u can play offline......

digitalwanderer
09-08-03, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by rokzy
when you cripple your products and force piracy to be the only way it will work properly, you're pissing off everyone else just to make things worse for yourself.
Agreed.

silence
09-08-03, 11:41 AM
dumbest idea is that u need internet connection to play in LAN. so if i pay for my game and decide to play in LAN...and place doesnt have broadband i can forget about it?.....

this rules out practically any chance of playing in LAN around here....i am one of rare people that have DSL at home and thats cause i am ready to put aside way to much cash so my internet works fast....but most ppl simply cant afford to pay that much for internet connection....what about them?....i dont see HL2 becoming very popular around here....well, not purchesed ones.....

one more thing....how will this affect HL2 mods?.....will this work for playing mods also?....prolly will.....damn, mods kept HL alive all these years.....if u stop so many ppl from playing mods in LAN just cause some moron thinks everybody has broadband i dont see HL2 becoming as popular as HL...ever....:mad:

GlowStick
09-08-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by silence
dumbest idea is that u need internet connection to play in LAN. so if i pay for my game and decide to play in LAN...and place doesnt have broadband i can forget about it?.....

this rules out practically any chance of playing in LAN around here....i am one of rare people that have DSL at home and thats cause i am ready to put aside way to much cash so my internet works fast....but most ppl simply cant afford to pay that much for internet connection....what about them?....i dont see HL2 becoming very popular around here....well, not purchesed ones.....

one more thing....how will this affect HL2 mods?.....will this work for playing mods also?....prolly will.....damn, mods kept HL alive all these years.....if u stop so many ppl from playing mods in LAN just cause some moron thinks everybody has broadband i dont see HL2 becoming as popular as HL...ever....:mad: Yep, it means your screwed, you can already watch this happen with Coutner Strike useing steam, its not possible.

digitalwanderer
09-08-03, 11:50 AM
What about people who have no internet connection? What happens with them?

GlowStick
09-08-03, 12:19 PM
Well to quote Valve

How can I have a LAN party or similar event using Steam?

Any Steam game, when played on a LAN or otherwise, requires that each individual client be able to authenticate via the Internet.

So it pritty mcuh means everyones ************

It seems Valve is becomming the Software Nazi!

Edge
09-08-03, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
What about people who have no internet connection? What happens with them?

They get this:

:ignored:

Or

http://blackmaxpc.com/avatarsmiles/smiles/banana2.gif (pimp)

Take your pick.

rokzy
09-08-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Well to quote Valve

So it pritty mcuh means everyones ************

It seems Valve is becomming the Software Nazi!

NO GAME FOR YOU!!![/seinfeld]

Pafet
09-08-03, 01:30 PM
LOL

maybe they want the ones who crack games to work harder this time :)
once it's cracked they'll HAVE to change something...

emotionstation
09-08-03, 01:45 PM
It said any Steam game when played over a LAN must authenticate over the internet.

If you're playing HL2 on a LAN, you're not using Steam (as far as I can tell). It will probably have an in-game browser for LAN play.