PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 600 Roadmap Partially Exposed

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
03-27-12, 06:24 AM
http://videocardz.com/31551/geforce-600-roadmap-partially-exposed-gtx-670-ti-coming-in-may

Accorded to Gibbo from Overclockers UK, we will see GTX 680 4GB models show up in April, not 2 months later Cant wait! :D

Nvidia will launch GK110 in Aug for Tesla parts first so Nvidia could launch the higher end for consumer at the end of year if Nvidia feel like it.

Fotis
03-27-12, 07:44 AM
Wth is the 685?

Its GK110.

Its launch timeframe puts its close to when we expect radeon 8970.

TheTaz
03-27-12, 09:05 AM
Wth is the 685?

It's the "Smack your bitch up" card that should have been the GTX680 (if you go by traditional code names -> enthusiast level cards)... but nVidia didn't want to blow their whole wad. (and they are probably also waiting for better 28nm yields, which is smart)

That said, the present GTX680 is more than a quantum leap for me... given that I'm still running an 8800GTX. :D

ViN86
03-27-12, 09:17 AM
It's the "Smack your bitch up" card that should have been the GTX680 (if you go by traditional code names -> enthusiast level cards)... but nVidia didn't want to blow their whole wad. (and they are probably also waiting for better 28nm yields, which is smart)

That said, the present GTX680 is more than a quantum leap for me... given that I'm still running an 8800GTX. :D

That's a false statement. No one "holds back". Sitting on a card is a poor business move as it prevents forward progress. Kepler isn't the only architecture being worked on. You can be sure that they are already working on the next architecture, although we have no idea what it's called. Preventing the release of a card ties up engineers that could be used on a newer product.

GK110 wasn't ready, hence why we got a stripped down version of it, GK104. I'm excited to see what the GTX 670 Ti offers. :)

ViN86
03-27-12, 09:29 AM
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21532597&postcount=29

GTX 680 was intended for March/April, it is now here. Fact is NVIDIA were always intending to release GTX 680 class card now, yes the spec may have changed but this has always being scheduled launch for their top-end GTX 680 product.

Nvidia always planned to label the best they had as the 680 and release it in March/April.

ViN86
03-27-12, 10:40 AM
Sure. The name and the price tag are here as planned. But the hardware behind it doesn't really deserve the name. It's more of a mid-range card that turned out really, really good.

It's wonderful news for nV, kinda bad for AMD und a bit disappointing for the end user, at least in my opinion.

Agreed.

The reason it turned out so well is because they had some extra OC headroom. So they added GPU boost and beat the 7970 with clock speed. It really is a mid-range card.

Either way, at its current price point, if you don't plan to overclock or use multiple cards, it's the best choice atm.

Ghosthunter
03-27-12, 10:57 PM
I just cant find the 680 anywhere..all this stuff is confusing me..LOL

Bah!
03-27-12, 11:53 PM
That's a false statement. No one "holds back". Sitting on a card is a poor business move as it prevents forward progress.

How is selling a mid-range card at enthusiast prices a poor business move? I'm not exactly positive that Nvidia didn't hold back based on how well this card ended up. Releasing their best card first when this one is already faster than anything out there seems like that would be a bad move IMO. Now they can release a new card in the next month at a higher price point than what was currently the high end price and make a killing, or completely cripple ATI profits by dropping the price on the 680 and making them follow suit.

As far preventing forward progress, they don't exactly need much progress. We are still in the same console generation we were in nearly a decade ago and we won't be seeing a new generation for at least a couple of years. The amount of games that will require something better than what is currently available any time soon is slim to none.

Viral
03-28-12, 01:47 AM
That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be? Calling it a 685 and only pricing it $100 higher... unless of course the 680 will be a bit cheaper by that time or receive a good price drop after the 685 launch.

I think it's going to be like socket 2011 has been with Intel, faster, but not really enough to justify the money for anyone not a complete enthusiast.

Locally, 7970's have dropped $60 and 680's are being gouged by $80-100, so if I were buying now I'd probably just go with a 7970 since the extra power/heat is worth it to me just to have the extra VRAM.

Yaboze
03-28-12, 08:33 AM
If it's a mid-ranged card it sure as hell isn't priced like one.

ViN86
03-28-12, 09:00 AM
How is selling a mid-range card at enthusiast prices a poor business move? I'm not exactly positive that Nvidia didn't hold back based on how well this card ended up. Releasing their best card first when this one is already faster than anything out there seems like that would be a bad move IMO. Now they can release a new card in the next month at a higher price point than what was currently the high end price and make a killing, or completely cripple ATI profits by dropping the price on the 680 and making them follow suit.

As far preventing forward progress, they don't exactly need much progress. We are still in the same console generation we were in nearly a decade ago and we won't be seeing a new generation for at least a couple of years. The amount of games that will require something better than what is currently available any time soon is slim to none.
I never said it was. I said they put out the best available that they had, as the road map and my inside-source quote both seem to indicate.

I said sitting on a finished GK110 would be a poor business move. I know everyone here wants to believe that GK110 is finished and it's going to drop next month, but it's not. GK104 is what you get for a little while.

Treason
03-28-12, 11:32 AM
I'm disappointed that consumers have to wait until August or the latter part of this year to await Kepler lower end/entry level cards. In the meantime consumers can purchase the new AMD 7770 and 7750 right now.

It seems that nVidia is wholly focused on high end customers right now. What about us consumers on a tight budget and low gaming needs? Is nVidia letting Intel and AMD fight over the "bottom of the barrel"?

Are line-up releases staggered now just because of financial reasons?

Ninja Prime
03-28-12, 12:09 PM

I'm not sure you guys are understanding the situation... Its not the same as last gen. 28nm is vastly more expensive than 40nm was. These cards are at $499 because 294mm^2 costs nearly what 550mm^2 did a when fermi launched.

That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be?

At this point I donno if there is a GK110, if there is its probably just a refresh part like 580 was over 480 i.e. not that great. They can't go much bigger without making a card that costs $800.

i SPY
03-28-12, 01:28 PM
imo 685gtx price is ok for that true flagship, 680gtx is really a 350$ card but since it rivaled 7970 in most games(sucks in compute and OC). (omg)doh yeah lets all use 500$..

That kind of makes me wonder how much faster GK110 will be?
Calling it a 685 and only pricing it $100 higher... unless of course the 680 will be a bit cheaper by that time or receive a good price drop after the 685 launch.

I think it's going to be like socket 2011 has been with Intel, faster, but not really enough to justify the money for anyone not a complete enthusiast.

Locally, 7970's have dropped $60 and 680's are being gouged by $80-100, so if I were buying now I'd probably just go with a 7970 since the extra power/heat is worth it to me just to have the extra VRAM.

Not yet, but when you put in IB-E 8core (16threads) its a good investment.

I checked for my next upgrade cpu/mobo/ram and then i saw this

2700K+200e mobo+16gb 2133mhz combo 672€
3820+240e mobo+16gb 2133mhz combo 679€

3820 @ 4.7ghz ~ 1.36v is about the limit, ok it can do 5ghz but at ~ 1.48v...Imo 4.6ghz should be good enough for 2-3 years, until my next upgrade 8core IB-e :D

ninelven
03-28-12, 02:35 PM
At this point I donno if there is a GK110Since Nvidia has already promised chips for HPC purposes to companies like Cray who is using GK110 for Blue Waters...

Yes, it will be large & expensive....

Ninja Prime
03-28-12, 03:15 PM
Since Nvidia has already promised chips for HPC purposes to companies like Cray who is using GK110 for Blue Waters...

Yes, it will be large & expensive....

I suspect this is just a HPC modified version of kepler. Notice how the 680 sucks at most compute, yet they still want compute market, that means they pretty much have to make a compute-specific part. I doubt it will be too much bigger or power hungry, thats the opposite of what HPC users want. I'm guessing it will be under 225w TDP.

ninelven
03-28-12, 03:38 PM
I suspect this is just a HPC modified version of kepler. ??? In other words, a completely different chip, AKA GK110. Larger than 256-bit memory interface, ECC, 1/2 rate DP, more cache/registers per CC, all which takes considerable die space... It will also likely have a higher ALU:TEX ratio. If you don't want to call it GK110, fine. But it will be a larger, completely different chip... certainly not GK104.

I doubt it will be too much bigger or power hungry, thats the opposite of what HPC users want. It is the compute/DP performance per watt that matters...

Ninja Prime
03-28-12, 05:06 PM
??? In other words, a completely different chip, AKA GK110. Larger than 256-bit memory interface, ECC, 1/2 rate DP, more cache/registers per CC, all which takes considerable die space... It will also likely have a higher ALU:TEX ratio. If you don't want to call it GK110, fine. But it will be a larger, completely different chip... certainly not GK104.

Which is not a desktop GPU chip. Which was the point. Poeple were asking about GK110 in the idea of waiting for it if its going to be much faster, but if its a compute-specific chip then it doesnt really matter. Understand?

It is the compute/DP performance per watt that matters

Yeah, and big hot chips are worse at perf/watt. Hence it probably won't be big and hot. Just like Pitcairn blows away Tahtis perf/watt.

ninelven
03-28-12, 05:39 PM
Just like Pitcairn blows away Tahtis perf/watt.Not at DP it doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite.

Which is not a desktop GPU chip. Neither was Fermi, but that did not stop them from selling it as one. The absolute performance will likely still be higher than GK104, but the performance/$ and performance/watt (for gaming) will be less than GK104. Understand?

Ninja Prime
03-28-12, 06:41 PM
Not at DP it doesn't. In fact, quite the opposite.

Because it wasn't made for DP. If it was, it would be more efficent. This is irrelevant to the point though. Point being, its more efficent.

Neither was Fermi,

Yes it was. By that logic I guess Tahti isn't desktop GPU. Right?

The absolute performance will likely still be higher than GK104

For DP, yeah. Thats the purpose...

but the performance/$ and performance/watt (for gaming) will be less than GK104.

Yes... so whats your point? My point was GK110 is probably a HPC/server product and thus doesn't exist from a desktop GPU point of view. I'm not sure what you're even trying to get at. That it will be a desktop high end product?

ninelven
03-28-12, 06:48 PM
If it was, it would be more efficent. /facepalm

Believe what you want... not my problem.

RollinThundr
03-28-12, 06:52 PM
I just cant find the 680 anywhere..all this stuff is confusing me..LOL

Newegg sent me a item is ready to be ordered mail today. I go to order one and it was already sold out. Maybe I'll just wait til the higher end model is out, perhaps the 680 drops a bit in price then.

Ninja Prime
03-28-12, 07:58 PM
/facepalm

Believe what you want... not my problem.

Glad that you concede.

ninelven
03-28-12, 09:36 PM
Glad that you concede. You clearly have some emotional issues to work through. :( I wish you well.

Ninja Prime
03-29-12, 01:18 AM
You clearly have some emotional issues to work through. :( I wish you well.

Thanks bro.