PDA

View Full Version : Still gaming happily with nv20/r200?

ragejg
09-09-03, 12:40 PM
Ok, I’ll admit it, they’re OLD now… boo hoo…

2 frickin years, dang… and they still have modern levels of bandwidth when OC’ed…

Aniso is useable @ 10x7 on some newer games, as is a little AA…

XIII IMO stays buttery smooth with BOTH cranked @ 10x7 on both the ATI and nv cores…

Postal2 runs great on this hardware…

UT2k3 IMO runs pretty decent…

As do other newer games…

And you can dispute this if you want, but PS1.1/1.4 effects are IMO beautiful and use-able, and I really hope that REALLY new games offer decent codepath alternates for DX8 hardware…

I mean, heck, GF3’s top out @ 13.6k in 3dmk2k1… that’s pretty impressive, dang it…

And R200’s top out @13.9k… sheesh.

I know, if you have a higher end system, why have an older gfx card? That is a good point, but some folks put the money into other components first, as some cards scale well…

This thread is an ode to the eldest DX8 hardware, a last hurrah of sorts, akin to my “Still gaming happily with a t-bird” thread from last year…

Let’s give our last cheers to this “about to leave the performance arena” hardware…

Let’s speculate on performance in:

Halo

UT2K4

HL2

Doom3

Other graphically intensive games

Let’s talk about what situations are right for these cards to be recommended (AIW 8500/AIW8500dv included)

Let’s talk about “a little AA, a little AF” sweetspots for certain games…

Lets talk about the ceiling of DX8 tech… and the possibility of unexplored features/benefits…

Our GF3’s and 8500’s know we’ve loved em, but also know that they’re long in the tooth… so let’s air our respect.

ricercar
09-09-03, 12:54 PM
I'll never get rid of my GeForce3 unless NVIDIA releases another green video card. I really really like that green anodization on heatsinks and the fan; it's the archtypical NVIDIA graphics card.

Kain
09-09-03, 01:13 PM
Dude, I'm still gaming with my current PC! :eek:

ragejg
09-09-03, 01:15 PM
hey, as long as YOU enjoy it. :)

stncttr908
09-09-03, 03:13 PM
I'm using my GF3 ti200 is this NJIT rig atm. It can run everything that my sig system can, just without AA/AF. It still has a lot of life in it as a backup card.

digitalwanderer
09-09-03, 03:32 PM
I just installed GTA:VC on my son's PC Boomer (see sig) and at 800x600@32bit it don't play too bad at all! :D (GF2 MX400, but no AA or AF. ;) )

I have a feeling my wife is going to kill me for installing GTA:VC on a 6 year olds computer...but he doesn't have a clue about the missions or anything, he just wants to drive the different cars around and shoot the guns. (But not at any people...it's sort of hilarious to watch someone play GTA:VC trying really hard not to hurt anybody. :lol: )

ChrisRay
09-09-03, 03:48 PM
Still have my 8500 All In Wonder DV card, it runs fine and acceptably in practically everything.

I'm just not that over taken by the DX 9.0 craze

Rampant CL
09-09-03, 05:54 PM
My radeon 64mb vivo is still chugging away happily in my other pc. Amazing value for money, even at the time.

ragejg
09-09-03, 06:54 PM
folks, let's keep the discussion to nv20/R200 here... I'm only saying this by default, I knew I would need to nip off-topic-ism in the bud after two instances...

An added nugget from me: I just set up an ECS kt133a SDRAM mobo up with a 256 stick and a ti500... it performs beautifully for what the system is: a "one up" replacement system (up from a Compaq Celly566) designed to aid a female friend of mine in getting into gaming... Once again the card proved it's mettle in peforming perfectly in the XIII demo @ 10x7 with 4xaa, 8xaf, texture sharpening on, and everything up... I know that this shouldn't be the determining factor, as of course I will be putting plenty of other demos on this nice lil PC... NBA 2003, UT2K3, Will Rock, SOF2, etc...

... and the card will still perform well...

:)

ricercar
09-09-03, 09:47 PM
Put my NV20 into an Intel i815 board with a Pentium-III 933 MHz and 512MB PC133 DRAM, then shipped it off with a 15" monitor to a fellow I know who's starting college without a computer. Shipping 63 pounds from California to Tennessee cost more than any of the individual components!

goofjb
09-10-03, 06:21 AM
I am still using a GeForce 3 as well, for now anyway. (Thanks ragejg for the card). It performs great with GTA 3, Max Payne, and AoE 2.

Smashed
09-10-03, 09:24 PM
My 8500's held up pretty well, especially with all the driver improvements we've seen since October 2001. Nice 2D image quality, good DVD playback, and it can run all the games I'm currently playing at 10x7 or better with full detail. Still, One of these days, I'd like to get a card that can manage AA and aniso.

If I had the choice over again, I'd probably go to Washington to pick up a good Ge2 instead and save $150. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase though.

netviper13
09-10-03, 10:08 PM
My GeForce3 Ti200 still manages to pull 40-80fps in UT2k3 at 1024x768. I'll upgrade one Doom 3 and HL2 come out, but not before then.

EciDemon
09-12-03, 05:36 AM
I still use a gf3 Ti200 OCed. It handles quite nice mostly. A bit more speed would be nice but as far as effects there is just not enugh games that supports all these pixelshaders and stuff for me to justify a new gfx card. Hopefully that trend will change now when HL2, Doom3, DeusEx2 etc. is released.

ragejg
09-12-03, 08:38 AM
Reminder: if anyone sees any SURPRISING benchie results from nv20/R200 on newer games, please post here...

Like if there's ANY results on Tomb Raider/HL2... or anything showing a GF3 performing ON PAR with cards a generation ahead...

I'm not pulling @ straws here, as these cards can still pull the rug out from under newer hardware sometimes in some situations...

...and IMO they still put up good Single Texturing/MultiTexturing numbers...

:)

Miester_V
09-12-03, 03:31 PM
I still use my Radeon 7500 for all gaming. It is a very reliable card and has served me well, and continues to do so. But I didn't sleep with it, ever. ;)

BTW, I'm gonna get a 9800 Pro this October, or whenever HL2 gets released. :D

ragejg
09-12-03, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
folks, let's keep the discussion to nv20/R200 here... I'm only saying this by default, I knew I would need to nip off-topic-ism in the bud after two instances...

Ok, three instances...

C'mon folks, I wanna keep this on topic... :-l

...no offense intended, meister_v...