PDA

View Full Version : Returned Santa Cruz.. decided to put extra money into an Nforce 2 board.

ChrisRay
09-09-03, 09:14 PM
Now I was thinken about getten an Nforce 2 board for quite some time. But it's always some darn thing that prevented me from it.

So I looked at my money and realised. if I returned the santa cruz card. I would have enough for the Nforce 2, I believed that the Nforce 2 onboard sound would be at least somewhat similar.

I am currently installing Windows 2000 again and I hope I havent led myself to a disapointment.

I bought the Abit NF7 board, based off the Nforce 2 chipset.

Kinda nice to have something Nvidia made that was nice :angel:

saturnotaku
09-09-03, 09:24 PM
Did you buy the NF7 or the NF7-S? The -S board has the Sounstorm APU, the regular NF7 does not and is an inferior onboard solution.

ChrisRay
09-09-03, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Did you buy the NF7 or the NF7-S? The -S board has the Sounstorm APU, the regular NF7 does not and is an inferior onboard solution.

NF7-S

ChrisRay
09-09-03, 09:31 PM
Errr damnit. It is an NF7, without the S, I coulda swore this was the one. There are no reviews of the Nf7-S and it looked the same..

Well.. crap... *sigh* I really cant get a refund on it or afford anything better... son of a ...

saturnotaku
09-09-03, 09:31 PM
Oh, just noticed your edit. Too bad on the board. Not that the NF7 is a bad board, it probably won't have as good a sound as you might have hoped. It should at least be comparable to an SB Live. Just make sure to get the Realtek driver as opposed to the one for Soundstorm.

ChrisRay
09-09-03, 09:36 PM
Well it has 6.1 Audio.. Including Digital in And the extra sound features... (6 audio jacks)

The Board s called NF7 Series, Speed, Stability..

I am kinda disapointed. I really cannot afford to go back and get the Asus one. But the Asus one didnt support Locking the AGP device. Which bothered me

And this NF7 board had the Higher AGP slot (For those dual slot video cards)

So it seemed really nice.. I coulda swore it had the soundstorm.

Whats the realtek one like? Bad? I had avance AC97 audio on myKt400 board which was ok..

Dazz
09-10-03, 03:34 PM
To tell you th truth i thought the RealTek ALC650 is better then an Audigy just has more of a performance hit :o but sound quility is better :)
No hissing or sound crackling if you use RealTeks drivers.

sxotty
09-12-03, 12:10 PM
Chris http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-K7N18DP&c=pw

has a leadtek nforce2 board with soundstorm for $84, oh and newegg has it for $85 I think. How does that compare with what you paid for the nf7? MY friend has the leadtek non-pro so like what you have currently and it is good. Anyway thought you might be able to afford this one.

peace

ChrisRay
09-12-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
Chris http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-K7N18DP&c=pw

has a leadtek nforce2 board with soundstorm for $84, oh and newegg has it for $85 I think. How does that compare with what you paid for the nf7? MY friend has the leadtek non-pro so like what you have currently and it is good. Anyway thought you might be able to afford this one.

peace

I payed extra money for the Nf7 for 2 reasons. I was sure it was an Nvidia Nforce 2 400 Ultra. and B. I wanted the comp usa warranty plan to abuse it for future upgrades :angel:

So I payed a bit too much for it but its worth it in the long run.

sxotty
09-13-03, 05:43 PM
FYI Abit has really good warranties as well actually. And thats cool just thought you might not have come across the leadtek.

Mike89
09-23-03, 06:48 PM
I'm a Santa Cruz man all the way. I have a NF2 mb and still use the Santa Cruz. I just like the sound better. Another reason is I have a TV tuner and the sound is better (from the input jack) than it was using the NF2 onboard sound. But you know how sound issues are, everyone has their own ears. All I can say is my Z560s love my Santa Cruz, and I'd have to have a pretty dam good reason to change it out for something else. No reason right now.