PDA

View Full Version : GTX 680 3D on Monitor Vs. 3D TV

krazyklown
03-31-12, 09:27 PM
Hello

Not sure if this is the right section to post in, but I am looking to pick up a GTX 680. One of the main features I want to use is the 3D Vision.

I already own a 3D TV that is compatible, but I read some info that they way the TV works and the way a 120 hz Monitor would work is different. But, what I am unclear about is, which would be better? In terms of quality, am I better off getting a Vision 2 kit Monitor, or would my 3D TV be about on par?

JasonPC
03-31-12, 09:41 PM
You need to specify what kind of 3D TV you have. More than likely it's perfectly adequate.

krazyklown
04-01-12, 09:36 AM
Apologies. Completely slipped my mind.

I have a 46' Sony XBR HX929. The TV is great, just wanted to understand that though the tech is different, would there be a difference in performance. Sounds like you think there shouldn't be.

Side note, while the nvidia site does not show the HX929 as a supported model, I did confirm on another forum that others have tried and it worked.

turdhat
04-01-12, 03:25 PM
In 3d 720 isnt too bad. The 3d effect kind of masks it a bit. Just make sure to try different AA methods like nhancers Sparse Grid Supersample modes if you have the left over power. You will need to download it and read up bit. It kills jaggies dead but is a big perf hit. At 720 you might have the headroom. The 3d effect is much better the larger the screen IMO. These pros outweigh the cons for me. Plus you will get better frames in 720p. A choppy game on a 3d tv or monitor is very annoying.

krazyklown
04-05-12, 02:22 PM
Thank you for the feedback. I was most concerned that I would notice the difference when it went down to 720p. That extra $500 for new monitor plus 3d pack seemed steep.

I think I will go ahead with the card and the software and see how I enjoy it. Thanks again all.

lee63
04-08-12, 02:48 PM
Apologies. Completely slipped my mind.

I have a 46' Sony XBR HX929. The TV is great, just wanted to understand that though the tech is different, would there be a difference in performance. Sounds like you think there shouldn't be.

Side note, while the nvidia site does not show the HX929 as a supported model, I did confirm on another forum that others have tried and it worked.

Great TV...I have the 52 909, as for the 3D you'll have an awesome experience.

tornadog
04-30-12, 10:00 PM
So I tried to setup s3d in the nvidia control panel and I can only get 7320p working. When I set it to 1080p @ 24hz, it says it is in 3d mode but I have a black screen. Is this a nvidia limitation. I am not trying to play games, just trying to use powerdvd 12 to play some 3d bluray movies. With my previous AMD 6950, I was able to set it to 1080p and was also able to use the tridef drivers for 3d gaming.