PDA

View Full Version : Official Gearbox response to Halo beta leak.

***CENSORED***
09-10-03, 07:11 AM
http://halo.bungie.org/images/gearboxresponse.gif

LiquidX
09-10-03, 07:41 AM
I think he is right. The beta is not worth the download IMO to anyone who wanted try it. From playing it I can tell you it's not how to finished product willl be. I basically just downed it as kind of demo to see the multiplayer aspects to see if was worthy of a purchase soley on that, but now think I will wait for the official demo to make a call on it.:)

stncttr908
09-10-03, 07:59 AM
I tried it. Personally, it makes me salivate for the final game even more. I'm not one of those little 13 year olds saying "OMFG HALO SUX0R WTF OMG!" or some other illiterate mumbo jumbo. I took it for what it was; a beta.

digitalwanderer
09-10-03, 09:11 AM
Wow, that's a classy way to handle a leak and I agree with everything they had to say about the performance not being indicative of the shipping product.

The beta is rough, but it really shows some promise to me. I wasn't really hyped about Halo 'til I saw it, now I'm looking forward to the finished game. :cool:

ragejg
09-10-03, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Wow, that's a classy way to handle a leak... :cool:

I'll second that.

The Baron
09-10-03, 09:35 AM
Good way to handle it. I'll definitely buy Halo when it comes out.

Edge
09-10-03, 09:41 AM
Wow, I like their response. Very mature and official, but they don't just blindly expect noone to download it from now on. I wish all companies responded to leaks like that (I remember the big fit Epic Games had when the alpha for Unreal 2 was leaked).

But yeah, betas should rarely be used as indicators to what the final game will be like, especially when they're 2 months old. The last couple months is when they add optimisations and stablise the frame-rate. Just like the Half-life 2 beta that was showed for E3, you probably won't see frameskips on a 2.4 ghz computer with a 9800 card like you did in their demo.

I might check out the Halo demo though if it has multi-player. I've played the Xbox version to death, but all the multi-player stuff they're adding certainly has me interested. Maybe I'll even buy it when it's cheap. Oh, and here's a fun thing you can do to add to the game: On the Silent Cartographer multi-player level (one they're adding to multi-player on the PC version), it is suprisingly fun for everyone to grab a jeep and and have a 3-lap race around the island! Not only do you get a FPS, but you also get a racing game for free :)
Me and a friend had a lot of fun doing that in co-op, should be great fun with 4-8 people.

Nutty
09-10-03, 11:08 AM
I think it looked a little underdone for a beta.. a beta should be pretty much 99.99% perfect.. it looked worse than an alpha to me.. :( 1st level mainly.

Edge
09-10-03, 11:23 AM
Depends on what version of the beta it is. Some late-betas are almost exactly like the final, but early betas can be pretty problematic. Did you ever fall through the floor or did the game crash? Those are the first things they fix in beta (sometimes late alpha). The only thing left is fixing performance and adding online support. It wouldn't suprise me if like the D3 alpha that it was only designed for a small amount of hardware, they'll add compatability and stuff later. And besides, the game has only been in development for PC for 8 months, so they still had 1/4th of their development cycle to go.

Nutty
09-10-03, 01:15 PM
Where I work, we're pretty strict, (you have to be with consoles) Start of Alpha is feature complete. By beta time, should be 100% crash free, with no playability bugs. i.e. a bug that stops you completing the game. Falling through the floor for example.

If these things happen in the leaked version, I wouldn't call it beta, IMO.

digitalwanderer
09-10-03, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
Where I work, we're pretty strict, (you have to be with consoles) Start of Alpha is feature complete. By beta time, should be 100% crash free, with no playability bugs. i.e. a bug that stops you completing the game. Falling through the floor for example.

If these things happen in the leaked version, I wouldn't call it beta, IMO.
By that definition than I'd call it a beta, I have seen any show-stoppers so far. :)

Edge
09-10-03, 02:05 PM
Eh? You work at a console game developer/publisher? Cool, which one?

Well I've seen plenty of "betas" that have big problems. SOF2 had a pretty big game stopping bug that I ran into, virtually all MMO games have really big CTD issues in beta, hell even the "retail" release of C&C Renegade had THREE gamestopping bugs that happened to me (though when I did a recent replay with patches I found they fixed all of the ones I ran into).

But so far I haven't heard any reports of game-stopping bugs or crashing issues with the Halo beta, but I haven't tried it myself. Just remember, they'll probably end up releasing some patches for the game anyway (really, what PC games doesn't have patches?). Wouldn't suprise me if they'd release a few performence patches if it's not up to speed by the time the game is released. It's what they did with Deus Ex.

Nutty
09-10-03, 04:13 PM
I have seen any show-stoppers so far.

I have. The FMA of the cartographer mission hung on me.. now when I load up previous checkpoint, I'm stuck in an FMA, and cant get out.

I'm not bothered like, I know its flaky, its still pretty good fun. BTW, did anyone else feel the FOV (field of view) felt like it was permantly zoomed in, its quite narrow compared to alot of other games.

Eh? You work at a console game developer/publisher?

Climax. The ppl who did MotoGP, I'm not in the same studio tho.

Wouldn't suprise me if they'd release a few performence patches if it's not up to speed by the time the game is released. It's what they did with Deus Ex.

Yeah I was thinking it was a bit chuggy at 1024x768, but then xbox at 640x480 ran at 30hz most of the time anyway.. and it has a few extra features that are different/more powerful to a gf4 as well.. But even so, I should have loads more fillrate, due to the huge memory speed differences of GF4 vs Xbox.

Maybe its just cos we're not used to seeing entire levels bump-mapped and environment mapped. It still looks pretty good compared to alot of flat textured games.

Definitly gonna buy this when it hit the shelves tho.. Should be enuff time for this, before HL2 arrives..

Edge
09-10-03, 04:56 PM
Climax eh? Heh, I remember some of their games, Blue Stinger was fun for it's time. Any job openings for an animator there ;)

And actually now that I think about it, the Xbox version was pretty hardware intense. Granted, it only had a 733 with a GF3+ card, but there were quite a few slowdowns in places, and that was only at 640x480 res. If you crouch down to a fallen enemy and constantly melee attack them, you can cover the ground in layers upon layers of blood which absolutly kills the fillrate, you can bring it down to around 5 FPS that way. But I'm sure they optimised the game a lot for Xbox, at 640x480 res they could probably use more bump-mapping and pixel shader effects then we're used to seeing in PC games. I guess a little slowdown is going to be expected with that many effects.

Granted, the FX5900/9800 are a lot more powerful then a GF3, but when you quadruple the res and add extra effects (especially DX9 stuff which causes problems on the FX series), I guess a little slowdown is inevitable. Oh well, the multi-player levels should be more optimised for speed (I remember RTCW running MUCH better for me in multi-player then in single-player).

Oh, and now that you bring it up, it does seem like your FOV is a bit narrow from the video's of it I've watched. In particular it seems like your guns are right up in your face whereas other FPS games seem to have it farther away. I didn't notice it when I played the Xbox version, but it doesn't seem like something they'd change. hmm, strange.

nVidi0t
09-10-03, 05:36 PM
Nice response, my respect goes out to Gearbox.

Grrrpoop
09-15-03, 05:08 PM
I have. The FMA of the cartographer mission hung on me.. now when I load up previous checkpoint, I'm stuck in an FMA, and cant get out.
I think I may have hung in the same place.. where the dropship at the end of the mission starts descending into the shaft..? I think perhaps that's where they've done a rough cut-off so that the press didn't walk away with near complete game..

BTW, did anyone else feel the FOV (field of view) felt like it was permantly zoomed in, its quite narrow compared to alot of other games.
YES! After doing any sniping and fast changing back to the rifle and moving I would do an involuntary flinch and move my head further back and squint cos it does indeed feel zoomed in and weird compared to other fps games :-\ didn't notice it all the time but when I did it was quite disconcerting!

Maybe its just cos we're not used to seeing entire levels bump-mapped and environment mapped. It still looks pretty good compared to alot of flat textured games.
Some of the bump mapping had me running around looking at the floor for minutes on end :D By contrast some of the characters textures were rather poor and some of the wall and object textures also.. but the bump mapped stuff or shiny things looked superb..

Definitly gonna buy this when it hit the shelves tho.. Should be enuff time for this, before HL2 arrives..
Bungie seemed very concerned that this would negatively impact on ppl's opinion of the game by showing it in a poor light and yes it's a little buggy but I'm buying this game the day it's released. Seems I'm not alone in having my appetite for this game well and truly whetted by this leak.

SH64
09-15-03, 07:23 PM
My friend tolds me that he had the leaked ver. & it was on 4 CDs !!
looks like it gonna be big :D

RAY16
09-15-03, 08:56 PM
Must be a different leak then, the one me and everybody I know only had to do a 491Meg download. I've heard the full versions install will be a little over 2Gigs.

sytaylor
09-16-03, 03:00 AM
The people who are going to buy HALO probably won't be put off by this BETA, the only ones that will are the 13 year olds exlaiming:

"OMFG LOOOOOL WTF!!!1111 HALO AM TEH SUX!!!1111"

and they would have just downloaded it anyways.. very classy response I have to say

RAY16
09-16-03, 05:43 AM
The beta ownz, it just made me more excited for the full game. Just wish it was a little more complete (no missing textures and higher frame rates, like the full version).

RAST
09-21-03, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by RAY16
The beta ownz, it just made me more excited for the full game. Just wish it was a little more complete (no missing textures and higher frame rates, like the full version).

Just remember this was a leaked build for a press showing - it was never intended to be a demo. There are missing textures too. But that's what you get when you download a leaked / hacked beta build. It even says BETA 1.5 on the opening screen.

But I think it's a pretty good teaser for the real version - which will be out on Sep 30 :)

RAY16
09-21-03, 09:27 PM
Well duh.. Anyways, i've been playing the beta online for last week (since I got it). Its great fun, I can't wait for the full version to come out.