PDA

View Full Version : Damn Computer parts for not always functioning the same

ChrisRay
09-10-03, 04:15 PM
Well. My List of upgrades over the past 7 Months.

I First got my Radeon 9500 Pro which proved to be incompatible with my Via Kt133A chipset.

So I ripped that guy out and put in a Kt400 chipset. I set my memory to lowest possible timings, 3ns/266 DDR, And I locked up (Crash) I then upped my DDR to 333 and kept my 3ns timings, (Crashed) I then set my memory to 266/2.5ns settings, (Crash) Then I tried 333/2.5ns settings (wow Stability, I almost fell over dead)

AGP 8x Caused system to crash in a select few games from time to time so I set it to 4x Fast writes enabled.

Fast Forward 6 and half months. I buy Nforce 2 motherboard, And I try last stable settings on Via chipset, DDR333/2.5Ns memory. (Crash) Then I tried to turn my AGP to 8x, See if anything happened (Crashed) Then I tried to set my AGP off, (Voila, Stability) Now at this point I was pretty upset.

So I took out the 9500 Pro to ensure it wasnt the card, Tried a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 in the machine. (Crashed! But in a different of kind of way! ;))

So. It wasnt the card, So I put the r300 back in. And tried it again at DDR333/2ns timings (Crash) Next step. As a final act of desperation. I set my PC to DDR266/2ns Cas Latency. It has been flying ever since.

I just dont get it. This is after 3 hours of troubleshooting later. I think my memory must be ultra sensitive. I currently running this board at 266 Memory speed with 2ns Cas Latency timers with AGP 8x and Fast Writes on.

But I leave this message with my final words. When computers dont work. It pisses me off :angel2:

I'm just glad I'm not the type to just give up at the first sign of problems.

Dazz
09-10-03, 07:10 PM
Are you using cheapo ram? DOn't want to buy that stuff gives nothing but problems!!

Also it's CL2.5 (CAS Latency) 2.5, if it was 2.5ns you have the worlds fastest system memory :D

ChrisRay
09-10-03, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Are you using cheapo ram? DOn't want to buy that stuff gives nothing but problems!!

Also it's CL2.5 (CAS Latency) 2.5, if it was 2.5ns you have the worlds fastest system memory :D

Hehe thats what I meant. ;) My Memory isnt really cheap. It's Corsair DDR PC2700. But I think this memory has never functioned the way I'd like it too. When I decided to get Dual DDR. This will go into my old KT400 chipset as I rebuild second PC