PDA

View Full Version : Halo PC is gonna be pushing PS 2.0

Syan
09-10-03, 06:20 PM
Just read this interview at Avault: http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=halopc

Here's the bit:

What graphics hardware features does Halo support?

You'll want the latest fully DirectX 9 compliant video card if you want the "better than Xbox" look. This will give you blazing speed and pixel shader 2.0 support along with tons of other cool features. Halo can render everything with lots of passes or heavy use of pixel shaders. We also support a couple different generations of DirectX 8 cards and most DirectX 7 cards. DirectX 7 cards will look the most distant from the Xbox version because all of the content was authored with pixel shaders in mind. It's no longer just nice looking texture mapped polygons. It's way beyond that now.

Syan
09-10-03, 06:20 PM
Can't wait to pit the 5900 and 9800 up against eachother for this game soon!

ragejg
09-10-03, 06:35 PM
I wonder if the shader detection thing is gonna be transparent or if it's gonna feature a menu option... hmmm... so, a GF2ti/GF4Mx may be able to run this game @ reasonable framerates... cool... but I wonder if FX5200 owners will be able to turn the PS off to remain playable... I should hope so, cuz otherwise you'd have:

Guy A: "I have a GF4MX and it runs pretty smooth..."
Guy B: "I have a 5200 and it runs like Cr@p!"

:rolleyes: ;)

Dazz
09-10-03, 07:15 PM
The game is being set to be able to run on a Geforce 2 GTS. Like it was when it was in development years ago :D

Ninja Prime
09-11-03, 10:26 PM
I don't know what this is about, but I have the beta of PC Halo, and not only does it have a crapload of rendering bugs(its beta, but still), it runs like crap on my high end comp, and it looks like a PC game from 99'.

Zenikase
09-11-03, 10:46 PM
Considering the fact that Halo was mostly designed as a DX8 game (for the Xbox), I don't think Gearbox can do much aside from reducing the number of passes.

Edge
09-12-03, 12:47 AM
Actually, Gearbox said they rewrote ALL of the Pixel Shader code. They said something about it not being transferable between Xbox and PC because it wasn't compatable with all video cards or something like that. So basicly, we'll see a lot of new DX9 effects with the game, and many things will look different (and hopefully better) then the Xbox version.

I'm also interested in the performence difference for the 5900/9800. It could be another HL2 with the 5900 getting half the FPS as the 9800, or the DX9 effects might be light enough that the 5900 will be able to put up a good fight. We'll just have to see how many of their effects are DX8 and how many are DX9. This could be a key point in the FX series' pixel shader performence.

Ninja Prime
09-12-03, 01:24 AM
Sounds about right about the shader stuff. Still, it appears to me that they used the exact same geometry and textures from the X-box version, so if all they are doing is adding PS effects, it's still gonna look like crap. It looks soooo horrible on a PC monitor, and any action makes it hit 2-3 fps. Plsu the animations for peoples mouths seems really off, looks worse than the original HL characters.

Nebuchadnezzar
09-12-03, 06:11 AM
Sorry if mentioned in a nother thread, but for ATI cards, you just force PS to 1.3/1.4 with RageTweaker. Looks better and performs WAY better. :)

StealthHawk
09-12-03, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Sorry if mentioned in a nother thread, but for ATI cards, you just force PS to 1.3/1.4 with RageTweaker. Looks better and performs WAY better. :)

It looks better when using DX8 instead of DX9 :confused:

ReDeeMeR
09-13-03, 12:53 AM
Well it looks ****ty and runs ****ty to, something new.

WarheadMM
09-13-03, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk

Why cant you use every DX9 option and one DX8 option?? is that agaisnt the rules or something??

StealthHawk
09-13-03, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by WarheadMM
Why cant you use every DX9 option and one DX8 option?? is that agaisnt the rules or something??

Uh, first of all Halo probably uses a DX8 codepath and a DX9 codepath. So you either do DX9 or you don't. I don't think you can choose which effects use what version of shader.

Secondly, I was questioning what Nebuchadnezzar was talking about. I'm not sure whether he was dropping from DX9 to DX8.1, or going from DX8.0 to DX8.1.

DX8.1 performing better and looking better than DX8.0 makes sense. DX8.1 performing better than DX9 can make sense, but it shouldn't look better.

pigfukerd
09-13-03, 05:39 PM
when is halo coming out for pc?

LiquidX
09-13-03, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by pigfukerd
when is halo coming out for pc?

It came out already.:)

Nebuchadnezzar
09-14-03, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Almost identical, sorry for late reply... :bleh:

Shaitan
09-14-03, 11:21 PM
"and it looks like a PC game from 99'."

that is because it IS a `99 game.

Fuku2
09-15-03, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
I don't know what this is about, but I have the beta of PC Halo, and not only does it have a crapload of rendering bugs(its beta, but still), it runs like crap on my high end comp, and it looks like a PC game from 99'.

Runs like crap on mine too but it is a beta. The final will run much better, and with AA and AF not slowing it down so much. Just goes to show you why they don't like betas getting out. I think the game looks pretty good and am looking forward to it. It's out on the 30th I believe.

RAY16
09-15-03, 05:30 AM
I noticed a difference in the water when I saw some screens of the game running on DX9 hardware, the water looked much better. Performance in the final game has been imporved drasticly also, just look at these numbers from near-final build of the game.

I heard a request and here it is using my Radeon 9700 Pro, I'm going to be getting a 9800XT but until then these are sufficient:

6xAA 16xAF (settings maxxed out) using Catalyst 3.6 drivers

640x480 104FPS Low=81 High=128
800x600 96FPS Low=76 High=116
1024x768 87FPS Low=63 High=111
1280x1024 74FPS Low=51 High=96

System Specs:
Intel P4 2.8GHZ
512MB DDR333 RAM
ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
MAG 19" CRT (1600x1200 MAX res.)

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=technical&Number=12787&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

oqvist
09-20-03, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Syan
Just read this interview at Avault: http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=halopc

Here's the bit:

What graphics hardware features does Halo support?

You'll want the latest fully DirectX 9 compliant video card if you want the "better than Xbox" look. This will give you blazing speed and pixel shader 2.0 support along with tons of other cool features. Halo can render everything with lots of passes or heavy use of pixel shaders. We also support a couple different generations of DirectX 8 cards and most DirectX 7 cards. DirectX 7 cards will look the most distant from the Xbox version because all of the content was authored with pixel shaders in mind. It's no longer just nice looking texture mapped polygons. It's way beyond that now.

That has already been shown at www.gamersdepot.com they got a benchmark with a Halo Beta where the 5900 ULTRA shows very much the same results like in HL 2...

Miester_V
09-21-03, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Syan
Can't wait to pit the 5900 and 9800 up against eachother for this game soon!
That wouldn't even be a fair comparison now. :lol: