PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitors 16ms V 25ms

mickythumbs
09-11-03, 02:45 PM
OK i want to buy a new monitor for gaming mostly.So i am told it needs to have a good reponce time i would prefer a 19 inch with 16ms responce but it only seems to be 17 inch ones i am seing with that spec.

Can i have some comments about the difference in responce times is it that noticable or is it a numbers game

As i live in the UK if someone could point me in the right direction if you know where i can get a 19 inch with 16 responce without having to get a 2nd morgage

Thanks for your time guys

ALobpreis
09-15-03, 08:42 PM
If you really like gaming, unless you saw a 25ms LCD and didn't notice any problem, I suggest you to try to get at least a <20 ms LCD.
As you said, bigger LCDs have slower response time. :(

Another fact to consider is the native resolution: in a 17" LCD it's 1280x1024, so your system should be able to play at that resolution flawlessly. If you have a slow system, you should play at lower resolutions, with the quality degradation implied. If you get a 19", I guess you'll have to play at 1600x1200 or so, so the situation is even more extreme.
What's your PC?

BTW, some months ago I bought a Hyundai Q15 (check for the topic if you like) and I'm really happy with it. It has 16 ms and a native resolution of 1024x768 (ideal for my system).

If you want more details on things to look on a LCD, check this post (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=604954) (just that post, don't go into that forum!! :D ;) ).

Riptide
09-15-03, 09:42 PM
My LCD has a 16x12 native resolution. Methinks I need more power for Doom3 and HL2. :(

Must... have... power... :D

sxotty
09-16-03, 08:27 PM
Why do bigger LCDs have slower response time? I have always wondered.

P.s. I saw a 25ms viewsonic 19" (well I talked my mom into buying it for the computer I built her so I could try it out ) and it was really bad it ghosted like crazy. But that is only a personal experience. Oh and it looked grreat in 2d, and you know for what she wanted it for so I didn't rip her off :).

mickythumbs
09-17-03, 10:40 AM
thanks guys for your comments

I actually bought a CRT IIyama 22" pro 514 because @ about 500 uk pounds it is superb and rez wise it goes over 2000 x 1400

i'll wait for another few years for a lcd

cheers