PDA

View Full Version : So, how many of you will be buying an ATI card next?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

shockwave203
09-11-03, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, I've been reading the forums for a while, never posted, but after reading what I've read today I just have to ask a question.

How many of you guys are going to be making an ATI card your next purchase? Considering that Valve had to bend over backwards to make Nvidia cards run HL2 so-so, it seems that if any of you want to play that game with good detail at acceptable frames, you'll be dumping your NVidia hardware!!

I use to use ONLY Nvidia video cards. From the TNT thru Geforce 2, Geforce 3 Ti's and finally Geforce 4's, I finally bought an ATI Radeon 9700 np and have never gone back to Nvidia. NOw it seems that the 9800pro is owning all in HL2, how many are pissed at NVidia?

I'm not an ATI Fanboy rubbing your faces in the dirt, because I use to be loyal to Nvidia and buy ONLY their cards. Finally, I realized that being a fanboy got me nowhere, and I decided to buy cards which ran games better, so now I'm sticking with ATI. My 9700np will probably run HL2 great, so I'll be sticking with that for a while.

Anyone else buying ATI now? These days, it seems like NVidia is losing ground because people are realizing they DONT have to put up with their BS anymore.

Hellbinder
09-11-03, 03:21 PM
/Raises Hand..

R360 will be my next card. But then again i *know things* :cool:

digitalwanderer
09-11-03, 03:36 PM
Not me, no way! I am NOT buying an ATi card!

(I already got one lined up to review... ;) )

silence
09-11-03, 03:36 PM
/me points to sig

/me raises hand to buy ATi again

FredGSanford
09-11-03, 03:48 PM
I just applied for an RMA on my 5900U to buy the 9800Pro... They fixed the Flickering but now I have a heat Problem and the preformance is not all that great including the IQ. In tomb Raider I notice a very big difference from using my Buddies 9700 and 9800 cards as well as the game running smooth and playable where as on the 5900U I notice some speed drops and allot of bugs no matter which driver I used :( this is sad really because I've always like nvidia cards from t he tnt days till now. $500 is a bit much for me to just sit back and hope and pretend that nvidia will fix it with another driver.... eventually when its fine and dandy for them to do so :(

ReDeeMeR
09-11-03, 04:55 PM
yep

Viper118
09-11-03, 05:01 PM
Thankfully I went with ATI last time and have a 9800. If I had gotten the 5900 I was initially planning on getting, I'd be pissed.

Miester_V
09-11-03, 05:08 PM
Going from a reliable 7500 to a 9800 Pro early October just in time for...'NV3x's Grim Reaper' also known as Half-Life 2. :p

aapo
09-11-03, 05:17 PM
If I would buy now, I would most certainly buy an ATi card (probably R9600P, best bang for the buck ATM). But because I'm not buying just now, I can't be sure. When I will buy, it might well be nVidia if they bounce back by then, or it might as well be ATi, Matrox, BitBoys (hehe) etc. But I won't ever go for Trident (bad experiences in the old days, still hurts a bit :D ).

Ninja Prime
09-11-03, 05:21 PM
Just dropped my GF4 for a 9800 PRO a few days ago, and if things contuine as they are now, my next card will be anything but Nvidia.

Pureevil
09-11-03, 05:26 PM
Not me, 5900 Ultra all the way...

-waits for the inevitable disrespect-:rolleyes:

Star_Hunter
09-11-03, 05:27 PM
Nah.....your all set for DX8 and below :)

Nutty
09-11-03, 05:40 PM
Not me, I'm skipping this round anyway. I want the best for doom3, and nv40 should be out by then.

_IF_, and its a very big if, nv40 turns into an nv30 fiasco, then I might consider ATI.. :D

Dazz
09-11-03, 05:43 PM
I just made the switch last week, from a Ti4400 to a 9800 quite happy with it too. If they continue to do well with their drivers it may look like i will buy an other ATi card :)

shockwave203
09-11-03, 07:29 PM
so...anyone off to buy a 5900 ultra right now?

Flavius
09-11-03, 07:36 PM
I re-bought an 5900 last night after they fixed the flickering problem. Only reason are ATI's continued driver bugs. Sorry, but its TRUE. I know ATI is faster, better looking, but I need bug free!

Pureevil
09-11-03, 07:40 PM
I broke so not yet.:cry: :cry: :cry:
:fu: MOM

ENU291
09-11-03, 07:43 PM
DAMMIT!!! I just purchased a 5900 Ultra about 2 weeks ago.... You guys have no idea how I'm hurtin right about now... It's just one blow after another. I'm going to continue using my 5900 U cause I modded the shell of the Leadtek model I own to cool the GPU with a water block. It's getting harder and harder to feel confident about purchasing this vid card. :(

night
09-11-03, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Flavius
I re-bought an 5900 last night after they fixed the flickering problem. Only reason are ATI's continued driver bugs. Sorry, but its TRUE. I know ATI is faster, better looking, but I need bug free!

so your saying nvidia is bug free :rolleyes:

LuminousFriend
09-11-03, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Flavius

What, you just emerged from living under a rock? ATI's drivers ARE (nearly) bug-free! It's Nvidia's drivers that are questionnable right now (heard of the "little" issue with HL2 ?...)

Edge
09-11-03, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ENU291
DAMMIT!!! I just purchased a 5900 Ultra about 2 weeks ago.... You guys have no idea how I'm hurtin right about now... It's just one blow after another. I'm going to continue using my 5900 U cause I modded the shell of the Leadtek model I own to cool the GPU with a water block. It's getting harder and harder to feel confident about purchasing this vid card. :(

Eh, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. You'll be able to play HL2 at only about 25% slower then a 9800pro, and most other games will still be quite fast. Just stay away from Tomb Raider:AOD (as you should for reasons other then performence;) ). Though if you really feel the need to, I guess you could switch it for a 9800, but I think by the time performence gets unacceptable with it it would be time for a new video card anyway.

Personally, I'd really like to get a 9500pro or better card, but I'm very poor at the moment. Usually I just upgrade my video card when Best Buy has their day-after-thanksgiving sale. Hopefully they'll have a 9600pro on sale for $100 or so this year (though I wouldn't mind a 9700, either:) ).

Currently using a TI4200, btw.

ENU291
09-11-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Eh, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. You'll be able to play HL2 at only about 25% slower then a 9800pro

It's not that bad??? Dude this 5900 Ultra set me back $450 and all it seems to be is an overclocked Geforce 4. Trust me... if you would have dropped that type of cash on this vid card and seen what I've seen and read all this bad press you'd be rippin out your ass hairs too!! I'm taking a wait and see approach... if the new dets are fast and don't degrade IQ much then I'll feel a whole lot better.

Zenikase
09-11-03, 09:41 PM
Honestly, I would like to wait until the NV4x and R4xx cards are out and reviewed, but HL2 is making it too damn tempting to just forget it and buy a Radeon 9600 Pro right now. Decision, decisions... :(

Edge
09-11-03, 09:48 PM
Hmm, well at the very least you should be able to overclock the thing pretty decent with the water cooling setup you have. Probably give it another 15% or so performence on it, which brings it to within %10 of a stock 9800pro under HL2. Granted, I'd expect more out of $450 too, but if it runs good for you and you don't have any problems then you could be doing worse.

If you want my honest advice (well, you probably don't but I'll give it anyway): Don't pay so much attention to the reports. There will be exadurations, and there will be flat out lies, but as long as the games you play run good on it, then the card is fine for you. But remember, this is only for ONE game (well, 2 if you count TR:AOD). If you can OC the thing a decent amount, you'll get above 9800pro speeds on everything else, and very near 9800 speeds on HL2. It's certainly not a total waste, it does have it's strengths, it's just that most of the attention lately has been pointed at it's weaknesses.

windwaver
09-11-03, 10:27 PM
Nope, I'm not going back to ATi cos the 8500 and 9500Pros gave me so many problems that I've given up all hope on them. I dun game and the max I'm doing is just encoding digital video and nVidia serves me just fine. I've never encountered ANY problem(s), even the slightest with nVidia cards but the 9500s just gave endless problems (weavy lines, loop error, etc).

I guess this debate is only useful for those who loves gaming. As for me, stability is top of my list, but the current crop of 9800 seems pretty stable.