PDA

View Full Version : The Gabe bang/buck slide

Descombobulator
09-11-03, 07:08 PM
Did any one else think the slide showing fps/$ looked a bit out of place?

Gabe is entitled to have a go at who ever he wants, but I thought that this particular slide weakened his assertion that his views were independent of the new deal with ATI. I'm not saying he has been bought, far from it, but I think he could have used better judgement and omitted any items that smelled of ATI-PR.

For me, the 'buck' is mine to worry about. Valve can concentrate on the 'bang'.

bkswaney
09-11-03, 07:18 PM
I think it was fine.
Valve was just showing what card run the best for the $.
I'm sure ATI had rather it been the 9800.
More $. :)

FPS = $ is all it was. :thumbsup:

ReDeeMeR
09-11-03, 07:21 PM
Do you like being ignorant or what descobombulator??

Just because you dont care about money doesnt mean others dont, duh

Descombobulator
09-11-03, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
Do you like being ignorant or what descobombulator??

Just because you dont care about money doesnt mean others dont, duh

<sigh>. I see Irony is alive and well in the world.

CaptNKILL
09-11-03, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Descombobulator
<sigh>. I see Irony is alive and well in the world.
I must have missed the ironic part of what was said.....

:confused:

aapo
09-11-03, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Descombobulator
Did any one else think the slide showing fps/$ looked a bit out of place?

Actually, I agree with you. I was thinking the same: what the hell it concerns Valve or Mr. Newell how much consumers pay for their hardware. Their concern should be how much consumers are willing to pay for their game, so they should logically try to pimp it for inferior hardware too.

I personally think that for some reason Mr. Newell is angry at nVidia, and it could be seen between the lines of his presentation. I must add that it was said that this particular presentation was a surprise for the folks in ATi too. I guess the reason for the anger could be nVidia forcing the so-called 'optimizations' through the drivers. Mr. Newell would probably see any 'secret' optimizations that degrade the image quality even slightly as a hostile act.

LycosV
09-11-03, 09:17 PM
I agree as well. It's definatly out of place to say that you support both card companies equally, but this one is better. I agree with aapo, I think that the Valve developers are bent out of shape over Nvidia for some reason.

LycosV

StealthHawk
09-11-03, 09:17 PM
Am I the only one who thought the performance/$ slide was very interesting? The gfFX5200Ultra is a better buy than the gfFX5600Ultra! In fact, the gfFX5900Ultra is a better buy than the gfFX5600Ultra too!

ChrisW
09-11-03, 09:22 PM
I think the slide should have included the GF4 on that chart as it would probably be the second best bang for the buck card as long as you don't care if you run the game in DirectX 8 mode.

EDIT: Then again, they didn't show any tests of cards like the Radeon 8500, so I guess I can't really rule those cards out either.

Slappi
09-11-03, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by LycosV
I agree as well. It's definatly out of place to say that you support both card companies equally, but this one is better. I agree with aapo, I think that the Valve developers are bent out of shape over Nvidia for some reason.

LycosV

Maybe this is why :

http://www.notforidiots.com/GPURW.php

Phyre
09-11-03, 10:01 PM
I could be wrong, but from what I recall, this is the first time i've seen a "bang-for-buck" slide. If I do recall, it's a very, very vague recollection. Interesting though.

Phyre

Edge
09-11-03, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I can't remember seeing a "$ per FPS" slide before. Personally I like it, it really proves what I've thought all along (that the low-end card in a series is usually the most efficient). I wonder what the TI200 and TI4200 would've gotten back when they were launched...probably pretty well. Actually I wonder what a TI200 would get on the HL2 graph...probably very high considering how cheap they are nowadays.

Oh, and I also like the fact that they got the prices off of pricewatch rather then retail. Gives a good real-world indicator.

StealthHawk
09-11-03, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Yeah, I can't remember seeing a "$ per FPS" slide before. Personally I like it, it really proves what I've thought all along (that the low-end card in a series is usually the most efficient). I wonder what the TI200 and TI4200 would've gotten back when they were launched...probably pretty well. Actually I wonder what a TI200 would get on the HL2 graph...probably very high considering how cheap they are nowadays.

Oh, and I also like the fact that they got the prices off of pricewatch rather then retail. Gives a good real-world indicator.

Tom's Hardware has done such graphs before.

Edge
09-11-03, 10:53 PM
Really? I can't remember seeing any. At the very least I haven't seen any in their reviews of the cards. Did they put it on their "video card price" page or something? I usually just use Anandtech's (or just go to Newegg, since they have the best price 90% of the time).

StealthHawk
09-11-03, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Really? I can't remember seeing any. At the very least I haven't seen any in their reviews of the cards. Did they put it on their "video card price" page or something? I usually just use Anandtech's (or just go to Newegg, since they have the best price 90% of the time).

It might have only been in CPU reviews though :p

Bert
09-12-03, 07:21 AM
Considering you get new drivers for free which raise fps, this chart might be not quite accurate.