PDA

View Full Version : Petition against Internet connection requirement in Half-LifeČ

Nebuchadnezzar
09-12-03, 07:20 AM
Protest of Half-Life 2's requirement of an internet connection for Single Player and Lan Party games. (http://www.petitiononline.com/HL2/petition.html)

Nebuchadnezzar
Teh intarweb konektschiun = teh NOES!!11 :mad: :bleh: :D

Edge
09-12-03, 12:11 PM
Anyone else noticing that Valve, the Software Nazi, is going up against Nvidia, the Hardware Nazi? I can just imaging what would happen if they met in real life...

Valve PR: "Attention! All those wishing to play HL2 will be required to authorise every time you play the game, single and multiplayer"

Nvidia PR: "Attention! The pre-Det50 benchmarks are INVALID for compairision! All benchmarks done with the 45.xx series are not to be looked at"

Valve PR: "Hey, screw you, your drivers cheat and we refuse to use them!"

Nvidia PR: "How dare you! You don't have a right to make people register if you won't even benchmark the game the way we say you should!"

Valve PR: "F*** you B****, it's our damn game and we'll do whatever we want with it. If YOU want to benchmark it too, you can buy the HL2-Benchmark edition, availible on the 30th. But you better not use any unauthorised drivers, because if you do our Steam Registration system will catch it and lock out your copy of the benchmark!"

Nvidia PR: "Why you little..."

*fist fight ensues*

Yeah, I have an overactive imagination.

Kain
09-12-03, 01:03 PM
LOL! :p

Gargr
09-12-03, 01:44 PM
Communists vs Nazis

Nebuchadnezzar
09-12-03, 07:12 PM
Just recieved confirmation from Gabe that Steam will NOT require an internet connection for LAN or single play. All you LAN partiers out there and guys in Australia with broadband where you pay for the bandwidth that you use or where your bandwidth is capped will not need to worry.

I'd just like to say before I post the e-mail that this is once again a fine example that Valve are NOT idiots like some of you seem to think.
And all you conspiracy theorists can all rest with your "omg teh Vaelv hav a deel wiv meh ISP so tha tehy get moor munnie from meh!!"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:16 PM
To: gaben@valvesoftware.com
Subject: Will it never cease?

I'm not sure if it will ever cease or not. The constant nagging question
that people are asking - Will Steam be required to have an internet
connection active when starting up a singleplayer game or a LAN game?

It's giving me a headache

Seen the petition yet?

Chris_D

No, it won't.

There will be a brief transition (like two weeks) when it is necessary, but
then it will go away. It's a temporary issue.

EDIT: If you all want a screenie to prove authenticity, then let me know and I'll post one up.

IBTL?... :bleh:

Edge
09-12-03, 08:48 PM
Thank god. That makes me feel much better about purchasing HL2. So basicly, the authorisation stuff is ONLY needed for playing online, correct? Cause this issue was really annoying me.

Oh, and it's not a case of people thinking Valve is stupid because they felt like it, it's a case of people looking at the damn FAQ on the Steam website that says you DO need an internet connection for Single-player and Lan games.

Gargr
09-12-03, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Thank god. That makes me feel much better about purchasing HL2. So basicly, the authorisation stuff is ONLY needed for playing online, correct? Cause this issue was really annoying me.

Oh, and it's not a case of people thinking Valve is stupid because they felt like it, it's a case of people looking at the damn FAQ on the Steam website that says you DO need an internet connection for Single-player and Lan games.

I think it was supposed to be that way but everyone complained and they decided to remove the BS.

If not, why would it take so long after release to fix it? I don't think if no one complained they would let you play offline?

What do you tink ppl?

Gargr
09-12-03, 09:32 PM
Ok so internet connection is not going to be required for sp/lan

ime for a new petition

Say no to steam: http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

ahahaha :lol:

Evil bastards

Nebuchadnezzar
09-13-03, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Gargr
Ok so internet connection is not going to be required for sp/lan

ime for a new petition

Say no to steam: http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html

ahahaha :lol:

Evil bastards

Hahahhahaha!! :p :p

Matthius
09-15-03, 02:00 AM
hey, steam isnt' as bad as everyone says it is, and i'm one of those poor souls who are paying 88 bucks a month for a 3gig cap in australia with teh dredded company which calls itself telstra.

Edge
09-15-03, 04:21 AM
From my experience with Steam, it was WORSE then everyone said. I spent almost an entire day trying to get it working, though most of that was spent waiting for it to do...well, pretty much anything. Check my posts in the Steam thread. However, if it could theoreticly work like it's supposed to, I guess it wouldn't be TOO bad of a system. But from what I've seen of it, it quite seriously couldn't be worse (since I couldn't get ANYTHING in it to work).