PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else selling their FX on ebay after seeing the Halflife 2 benchmarks?

Pages : [1] 2

biggles2120
09-12-03, 10:48 AM
After seeing the Halflife benchmarks I've had enough. I paid $440.00 on a FX Ultra that was supposed to be able to play games "the way they're meant to be played". As soon as I get home today I'm putting my card on ebay to see if I can recoop some of my losses. I feel swindled. A $125.00 card is outperforming a $400.00+ card. I'm hoping I'll get about $325.00 for the card on ebay. Just enough to buy a 9800Pro.

Previous Nvidia cards I've owned

Riva 128
Riva 128ZX
TNT 1 (3 of them)
TNT 2 & Pro
Geforce 1
Geforce 2 GTS
Geforce 4 4200 (Later exchanged for a 4600. TAP program anyone?)
Geforce 4 Go 440 (Dell 8200 Laptop)
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

Next card:

ATI 9800 Pro

I feel a little bad about this because I usually like to buy American but Nvidia is not going to learn their lesson until they start losing customers. I'm going to ATI for now. Hope the NV40 is a miracle video card.

Flavius
09-12-03, 10:59 AM
I'll try returning mine to BestBuy first, and THEN I'll sell it on eBay. 9800XT here I come. My decision was not HL2 based. It was UT2K3 based. I drop to SIX FPS in DM-Icetomb with even 4XAA/4XAF on a high end P4 875P! I'm sure ATI can do better than THAT! At least Nvidia fixed their flicker issue. Let's give them credit for that.

Flavius
09-12-03, 11:02 AM
I usually like to buy American but Nvidia is That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Nvidia is a 100% Asian company with real headquarters in the far east, and just an office in the US. ATI is Canada based, but likely has more actual Americans working for it than Nvidia does.... not to mention that ATI is based in North AMERICA. So get your facts straight. :)

jAkUp
09-12-03, 11:16 AM
i sure am... ive had enough

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17823

biggles2120
09-12-03, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Flavius
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Nvidia is a 100% Asian company with real headquarters in the far east, and just an office in the US. ATI is Canada based, but likely has more actual Americans working for it than Nvidia does.... not to mention that ATI is based in North AMERICA. So get your facts straight. :)

Ummm... I always thought that Nvidia was founded in CA and has its Corporate Headquarters in the US. It confirms this right on Nvidia's webpage:

http://nvidia.com/page/contact_information.html

(Notice where the corporate HQ is)

Many companies outsource a lot of their work overseas and I know Nvidia does this, but as far as I know, it's owned in the US. I could be wrong, but you gave me no proof in your response so I have no reason to believe otherwise.

heedory
09-12-03, 11:33 AM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Nvidia is a 100% Asian company with real headquarters in the far east, and just an office in the US. ATI is Canada based, but likely has more actual Americans working for it than Nvidia does.... not to mention that ATI is based in North AMERICA. So get your facts straight. :)

funnist reply ever seen this forum..
NVDA is genuine American company

anyway, also I'm the one got a shock at the graph..
nvidia betray their user's trust, I can't believe it!!
I'll sell my 5900 and buy 9600pro and extra memory right now
nvidia loses another long time and loyal user...

Dazz
09-12-03, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by biggles2120
After seeing the Halflife benchmarks I've had enough. I paid $440.00 on a FX Ultra that was supposed to be able to play games "the way they're meant to be played". As soon as I get home today I'm putting my card on ebay to see if I can recoop some of my losses. I feel swindled. A $125.00 card is outperforming a $400.00+ card. I'm hoping I'll get about $325.00 for the card on ebay. Just enough to buy a 9800Pro.

Riva 128
Riva 128ZX
TNT 1
TNT 2 & Pro
Geforce 1
Geforce 2 GTS
Geforce 4 4200
Geforce 4 Go 440
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

Next card:

9800 Pro

I feel a little bad about this because I usually like to buy American but Nvidia is not going to learn their lesson until they start losing customers. I'm going to ATI for now. Hope the NV40 is a miracle video card. You buy too many cards man!!

combat_wombat
09-12-03, 11:40 AM
nope, not yet

biggles2120
09-12-03, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
You buy too many cards man!!

I do... Technology changes quickly and I hate being behind. :-)

I don't know why, but my favorite card out of the bunch was probably the Riva 128. I remember having a lot of fun tweaking that card to death to get every ounce of performance. Pretty good card for the time with the exception of that tearing problem.

saturnotaku
09-12-03, 11:48 AM
If I don't hear from one of my friends who was interested in my Albatron 5900, I will indeed be selling mine on ebay. Had I not been one of the fortunate few to pick up a mod-able Radeon 9500 (for $128 :eek: ) I'd probably suck it up and keep the 5900.

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 11:56 AM
I'm actually thinking of picking up a 5900 Ultra in a few weeks, they should be really cheap... ;)

4q2
09-12-03, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I'm actually thinking of picking up a 5900 Ultra in a few weeks, they should be really cheap... ;)

me too!!!

Fall is coming and at this rate it will be cheaper than buying a new leaf blower.

:)

NKVD
09-12-03, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by heedory
funnist reply ever seen this forum..
NVDA is genuine American company

anyway, also I'm the one got a shock at the graph..
nvidia betray their user's trust, I can't believe it!!
I'll sell my 5900 and buy 9600pro and extra memory right now
nvidia loses another long time and loyal user...

well, at least, americans can't say that canadians are stupid now .....:D

Flavius
09-12-03, 02:07 PM
Ummm... I always thought that Nvidia was founded in CA and has its Corporate Headquarters in the US. It confirms this right on Nvidia's webpage: Boy, do I feel stupid. Need to check my data before posting BS. Sorry everyone. :angel:

Hellbinder
09-12-03, 02:16 PM
You guys realize that the Det50's May increase performance enough to make you want to change your minds.

Of course this will be True.

1. The Det 50's only seem to affect performance in HL2 Benchmark and Aquamark3 Benchmark.

2. AMDMB Site shows that other performance is unnafected.

3. It is pretty Questionable how they manage to improve Shder Performance in 2 Benchmarks ONLY and not affect any other DX9 tests.

4. Is that something that you can Live with? The idea that Each time a new DX9 game comes out you will have to wait for the next Det Release with all the Replacement Shaders Nvidia specifically wrote for That one game?

5. Do you Seriously feel this kind og thing represents the Game "The Way They're Meant To Be Played" ???

Some people will still obviously answer Yes to that. Which is fine. To Each their Own. All i am saying is will you guys be one of these people who regret selling your cards the day after you see some miracle performance increase in HL2? (Regardless of the fact that Nvidia is Removing much of the Dx9 code).

Rytr
09-12-03, 02:51 PM
I am keeping the 5900U I have and also the 9800Pro for the time being. Both of these perform well running current games. Don't know yet about HL2, don't even know when it will be available.

I try not to base my beliefs/opinions on statements that companies make about their products until I actually see for myself (games included). PR performance is one thing, actual performance is another.

I also have a oc'ed 9500Pro that I am keeping till at least I can run the HL2 bench. Will be interesting how close it gets to their 9800Pro results. :D

I am just getting an idea of the 9800Pro's performance capabilities and even now I would agree that it is a good choice. If the 50's improve performance of the 5900U, so much the better. :)

Miester_V
09-12-03, 03:32 PM
I predict 150% performance gain with the Det50s. I also predict 150% chances of finding cheated optimizations. It all balances out. :D

Rytr
09-12-03, 04:17 PM
Yeah, 150% is about right...give or take a few...:D

FredGSanford
09-12-03, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by biggles2120

Riva 128
Riva 128ZX
TNT 1 (3 of them)
TNT 2 & Pro
Geforce 1
Geforce 2 GTS
Geforce 4 4200 (Later exchanged for a 4600. TAP program anyone?)
Geforce 4 Go 440 (Dell 8200 Laptop)
Geforce FX 5900 Ultra

Next card:

ATI 9800 Pro

I'm with you on those, had everyone of them as well (accept for the 4Go 440) but now it's time for a change... Can't say I'm happy about changing but by monday I'm on my way to UPS as I just recieved my RMA # to send the 5900U back :(

Filburt
09-12-03, 04:53 PM

Though I think "buy american" is possibly one of the stupidest economic principles in existence, the fellow was correct about nVidia being located in America. Their corporate headquarters is in Santa Clara, CA. However, all their manufacturing is done in asia, as as anything else they can outsource there. This is, of course, to maximize profits.

Don't "buy American" for the sake of doing so. No "American" companies are interested in supporting you, so supporting them is ridiculous and *is not* linked to supporting the economy.

shockwave203
09-12-03, 05:34 PM
Buy ATI eh!

eh?!

Badash
09-12-03, 05:38 PM
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-11.html

ChrisW
09-12-03, 05:45 PM
It should be pointed out that ATI also has a headquarters in California (down the street from nVidia from the purchase of ArtX). The truth be known, although these cards are designed in Canada and the US, they are really built in other countries like China and Malaysia. The headquarters are basically to avoid foreign tarrifs. I find it hard to consider companies like Intel to be an American company when it says right on the box "Built in Malaysia" or some other country.

By the way, the graphics chips are produced at TSMC for both ATI and nVidia which is located..guess where...Taiwan.

Flavius
09-12-03, 05:51 PM
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphi...fx_5900-11.html So what? ATI's drivers used in those tests were older than Nvidia's by a few months. Also, "According to NVIDIA, ARB2 performance with the final driver should be identical to that of the NV30 code. " This is a LIE, of course. If ARB2 were identical in perofmance to NV30 optimized code, the ATI would run circles around Nvidia.

Badash
09-12-03, 05:58 PM
my point is you can throw benchmarks around all day about games that arent coming out for 6 months and get pointless results. test it yourself when it comes out.