PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia - damage limitation

druga runda
09-12-03, 12:46 PM
1. Cut the RRP prices of your products,
2. come out with the 'true' reasons for poor performance instead of hiding all the details the best you can
3. clean the drivers from 'cheat code' and be as fast as you really are

... and that should tide you over until NV40 comes out... As if NV40 is a really good product - people will be set to buy it.

change the perception you have been giving about the company lately. I am sure that stockholders are watching the struggle and are not at all happy with current damage control.

IIRC this is exactly what ATI did with their 8500 - it was a lot cheaper than GF4 at the time and that compensated (to great extent) for poor driver quality/performance at the time. They made the best they could out of the drivers with removing the (at least the known) 'cheats'. So they tried to save their face with the right pricing and actions until the right product came along.

I am sure that that those moves would return a lot of respect that have been lost in the last 12 months for NVDA.

If this PR game is continued I am pretty certain that NV40 will lose a lot of customers that would have normally been a certain NV buyer. (not to mention the 'undecided trust my techie friends' category). Or even the OEM's :scarey:

my 2c
;)

YeuEmMaiMai
09-12-03, 08:09 PM
1. come clean
2. make quality products

bkswaney
09-12-03, 08:14 PM
I agree 110%.

But they never will. It's all about $.
There stocks would hit rock bottom.

They will keep the PR going and try and speed
the NV40 to market. But I say it will be Feb or March
before we see anything on the NV40. They might leak
the specs around christmas.
The NV38 will be this holiday seasons top card from Nvidia.
ATI will have the R360 to tied it over till springs R420.

Edge
09-12-03, 08:39 PM
They could do those things, but right now the number of people returning their FX5900s because of the HL2 news are in the minimum (sure, most of the "hardcore" people will, but the "casual" gamers most likely won't because they don't even keep up on the news that much). Their PR is still passing the FX5900 as a good card, which it is other then one blairing deficiency. Right now they're buying some time until the 5x.xx drivers are out which will improve perfomence in DX9 benchmarks, one way or the other.

And yeah, ATI did fix their quack3 issue (though that cheat was the most obvious I've seen yet) with driver fixes. Perhaps the det50 drivers will do the same? Probably not, but we'll have to wait and see. Their driver team has been able to pull of miracles before...but for this one more then a few members might have to sell their souls to get a big improvement from it.

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Perhaps the det50 drivers will do the same? Probably not, but we'll have to wait and see. Their driver team has been able to pull of miracles before...but for this one more then a few members might have to sell their souls to get a big improvement from it.
Even if they do, they're going to have to do so in a way that doesn't sacrifice image quality...a VERY hard task to say the least. ;)

StealthHawk
09-12-03, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Edge
And yeah, ATI did fix their quack3 issue (though that cheat was the most obvious I've seen yet) with driver fixes. Perhaps the det50 drivers will do the same? Probably not, but we'll have to wait and see. Their driver team has been able to pull of miracles before...but for this one more then a few members might have to sell their souls to get a big improvement from it.
No, NVIDIA's shader cheats are the most obvious I've seen yet. And they haven't fixed anything- they're still doing it! In fact, it seems like NVIDIA's cheating is only expanding to more and more benchmarks and games :(

Come on guys, enough is enough. We've given NVIDIA ample time to change, and they've only gotten worse. They don't want to change. As long as they can get away with what they're doing, they will continue to sell cards and laugh all the way to the bank.

Miester_V
09-12-03, 10:01 PM
1) Don't lie to your consumers. Make your products as crappy as you want, but just don't lie and continue to lie even when you're caught lying.

2) Price your products reasonably, as you don't want to make your customers feel gipped after buying your products.

3) Make the N-Force 3 have the ability to cure cancer. :p

Skuzzy
09-12-03, 10:17 PM
You know what I find odd. Late last year I said there would be DX9 games coming late this year. It wasn't a guess on my part.

Now, NVidia had to know they were coming. They knew late last year they were going to be in trouble in the shader area as the R300 was rocking with performance for shaders.

And don't try to say they didn't know. They knew. If a podunk programmer like me knew, they had to know. Yet, look what path they chose to go down. Pathetic really. They have basically been leading the sheep around by the nose ring and the sheep have been following and continue to follow.
Sheep, listen up,..NVidia is laughing its butt off at you and you are letting them get away with it.

There are no magic drivers to fix fundamental hardware design problems. It's not going to happen. You can rationalize it until you are blue in the face and it is not going to fix it. NVidia is counting on you to rationalize this away until they can really get the hardware back on track with,..maybe...NV40.

CaptNKILL
09-12-03, 10:29 PM
Its amazing Nvidia hasnt been hacked and shut down by all of these angry video card junkies.

I think that would be very satisfying.... and funny..... but im delerious right now, so please, ignore me.
:retard::drooling:

Rogozhin
09-12-03, 10:38 PM
I'm going to sell them some high end coffee but use robusta-hehehahaha-stupid consumers!

Just the right way to run-scam a buisness.

fire the ceo.

rogo

AthlonXP1800
09-12-03, 10:49 PM
:lol: just checking Nvidia website :type: it still up and checking ATI website :type: it still up, both ATI and Nvidia is up. :)

I found something interesting news at Nvidia is that Nvidia is 4th fastest growing company in the world, one of top 100 companies (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8350.html).

Compddd
09-12-03, 10:53 PM
^
|
|
|

Fanboi

AthlonXP1800
09-12-03, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
I'm going to sell them some high end coffee but use robusta-hehehahaha-stupid consumers!

Hmmm :) I got a great idea... I think Nvidia will be great at selling Nvidia lemonade soft drink with Nvidia brand on the green can. :cool:

Rogozhin
09-12-03, 10:56 PM
Yep with a nice color picture of dawn and the nvidia logo they could have "THe way life is meant to be lived" "Nvidia will make your life a cinematic renering with your choice of digital vibrance settings."

I'd rather be beaten with my own unapendaged arm.

rogo

Behemoth
09-12-03, 10:58 PM
or "the way its meant to be cheated" :D

Miester_V
09-12-03, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
:lol: just checking Nvidia website :type: it still up and checking ATI website :type: it still up, both ATI and Nvidia is up. :)

I found something interesting news at Nvidia is that Nvidia is 4th fastest growing company in the world, one of top 100 companies (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8350.html).
And this news rectifies nVidia's antics how? And do you really think this makes nVidia customers any more happy? Yay, they're number 4! Let's forget about everything now!

Rogozhin
09-12-03, 11:46 PM
I'd be the 1st if I sold my crappy robusta as peruvian organic.

jeez

rogo

Dean_RW
09-13-03, 12:12 AM
You guys have to understand that the FX series was built with the future in mind. Just wait untill the DX10 games get released, then you'll see the 5900 really fly!!

:angel:

The Baron
09-13-03, 12:16 AM
This thread still exists why exactly? It's an NVIDIA flame/spamfest. Get over it, folks.