PDA

View Full Version : New editorial: "Whatever happened to the dawn of cinematic computing?"

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 12:50 PM
Elite Bastard's own Hanners chimes in with a very well-thought out editorial entitled, "Whatever happened to the dawn of cinematic computing?" (http://www.elitebastards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2006)

An excellent read, I highly recomend it. :)

Hellbinder
09-12-03, 01:08 PM
Here is the Key point of his editorial.

This statements insistence that Pixel Shader 1.4 can be used just as well as Pixel Shader 2.0 with no image quality loss was the shocking one, considering nVidia’s stance on both Pixel Shader 2.0 being all important to the development of cinematic rendering. More importantly, this flies in the face of their criticism of FutureMark for using Pixel Shader 1.4 instead of 2.0 – Exactly the thing which nVidia says is now acceptable and required.

Its funny that what he is saying here was almost overlooked by most people. I am glad he points this out.

I am Curious to see what the rest of the forum thinks about it.

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 01:10 PM
I really think Hanners did an outstanding job on his article, it really reads like he put a lot of thought & heart into it....and it ain't a bit fanboyish or nothing! :)

(My only complaint is he makes me look bad in comparison, but I love Hanners so it's all good. :cool: )

Sazar
09-12-03, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Elite Bastard's own Hanners chimes in with a very well-thought out editorial entitled, "Whatever happened to the dawn of cinematic computing?" (http://www.elitebastards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2006)

An excellent read, I highly recomend it. :)

meh.. I'll link you up :)

get you a few hits :)

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
meh.. I'll link you up :)
Thanks Sazar, I'm much obliged. :)

Sazar
09-12-03, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Thanks Sazar, I'm much obliged. :)

;)

Johnmcl7
09-12-03, 01:39 PM
It's a well written article, however I think it should be an article itself rather than a forum post, if it was fleshed out a little with some pics it would be a very good artilce indeed. Nicely done Hanners.

John

digitalwanderer
09-12-03, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Johnmcl7
however I think it should be an article itself rather than a forum post
It is an article, that's our article lay-out. We were thinking of adding some pictures, but we didn't want to give nVidia any excuses to sue our arses. ;)

bkswaney
09-12-03, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Johnmcl7
It's a well written article, however I think it should be an article itself rather than a forum post, if it was fleshed out a little with some pics it would be a very good artilce indeed. Nicely done Hanners.

John

I agree... Great writeup. :)

schuey74
09-12-03, 02:28 PM
Great article......and like Digi said, watch you arses.;)

4q2
09-12-03, 02:47 PM
"Lara Croft and Gordon Freeman, in the dining room, with the lead pipe… "

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

oh my god... I fell out of my chair laughing!!!!!

Hanners I'm sueing you for busting my gut with laughter!!!

Excellent article!!!

Puts the whole nvidia farce of the last year and a half into perspective.

Anyone who still believes that Nvidia is the #1 graphic chip maker is either delusional or just a plain idiot.

The same goes for anyone who is gullible enough to believe that the NV40 is Nvidia's saving grace. IMO They now have to PROVE to the entire "thinking" high end gaming community how good their next card is. No cheats, no optimizations, no shenannigans, no nothing but honest strtaightforward TRUTHFUL information.

They are not only #2 in my book, they are deceitful cheaters and liars and it will take more than a decent video card for me to change my view of them.

(Can't wait to read Tardocp's view of the whole situation.)

Hanners
09-12-03, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the good feedback guys, good to know you enjoyed it. :)

It's a subject that I'd been thinking about for some time, but nVidia's response to the Half-Life 2 benchmarks (particularly the part that Hellbinder quoted) really got me thinking - And this article is the result.

Oh, and I'm glad someone like the Cluedo reference, I was quite pleased with it myself! :p

silence
09-12-03, 05:03 PM
very nice...and very true.....ill prolly post link to it on some forums i also visit....:)

euan
09-12-03, 05:42 PM
Excellent article Hanners. Top notch! I found it very funny, maybe slightly too much in an "ex underdog fanboy" way... :angel2:

euan
09-12-03, 05:57 PM
Another funny quote this time from

source:- gamersdepot (http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/hl2_followup/004.htm)

Gary McTaggart from Valve told us today that he has a copy of a magazine at home with a NVIDIA quote that says "you won't be able to experience the full power of our NV3x hardware until the DX9 games ship." - I think statement is a fun ending note.

Johnmcl7
09-12-03, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Hanners

Oh, and I'm glad someone like the Cluedo reference, I was quite pleased with it myself! :p

Shouldn't it be Lara Croft and the Master Chief with the lead pipe, since it's TR and Halo benchmarks discussed in that section though?

John

Zenikase
09-12-03, 07:42 PM
A nice recap, but it didn't really bring anything new to the table. Then again, with all the discussion that's been going on, it's pretty hard to come up with any new arguments.