PDA

View Full Version : Big enough PSU for a 5900 non-ultra?

Ruined
09-13-03, 11:06 AM
I have the 'scroll noise,' and while not a big deal, I would like to rid myself of it. I read about one or two users who upgraded their PSUs and actually got rid of the scroll noise. It looks like this noise is going to get swept under the carpet now that the flickering has been fixed. Anyway, I have the below in my case and was wondering if anyone thinks I don't have enough power; personally, it looks like more than enough to me, and voltage calculators come out under 400w... And I'm not going to spend new money on a PSU when I can save it for a better videocard in the future, especially when the 'scroll noise' looks to be the fault of the card itself, not the PSU.

But I'm still curious, what do you think, enough juice?

Antec TruePower 430W
P4 2.6ghz 800mhz FSB
Intel 865PERL mobo
2x512MB @ 800mhz
MSI FX5900 128mb
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with Roland daughterboard
Plextor PlexWriter Premium CDRW
Plextor PX708A DVDR
Teac Floppy
Seagate 160gb SATA 7200rpm hd
1 rear, 1 side, 1 front case fan

bkswaney
09-13-03, 04:24 PM
Yes.... u have the juice. :)

Did u down load the fix from nvidia?
I've heard that the flicker fix also fixed the scroll
noise for some.

GlowStick
09-13-03, 05:13 PM
I also feel that you have enough watts for your system Antec's are very good Powersupplys.

Ive read the people who say they fixed their issue with powersupplys, and it seems that its hard to reproduce, it may work, it may not heh.

If you really want to expermiment you need to find someware that will take anything back! Yeah its kinda evil but eh.

ricercar
09-13-03, 09:53 PM
An Antec 430 is plenty fine.

Do you ever see the dialog box about plugging in the auxillary Molex connector ... when the connector IS plugged in? My Antec 350 TruePower/5900 Ultra combination occasionally gave me the dialog box even when the card was plugged in to the PSU Molex. I moved to a 460 W PSU and solved the problem.