PDA

View Full Version : Odd framerate problem, please help...

Nausicaa
09-13-03, 06:13 PM
I think this is the right place to post, anyway...

Well, after my HD rewrite, the machine is running much faster. But the problem with 3D graphics remains...

I have a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. During games with any amount of complex graphics (and it appears to be the most serious when high res textures are displayed), the game will pause for about 10 seconds, and then move for 2; pause for 10, move for 2, etc...

I really don't know what to do about this, no amount of graphics modification on my desktop or my games can help. It's always happening.

Can anyone offer some ideas? I'm also running on the latest version of Direct X 9.

Mathesar
09-13-03, 10:24 PM
The only time ive seen that happen was when I overclocked my GF4 to high, for example I'd overclock then run 3dmark ,during the tests it would randomly pause for about 5-6 secs then continue running and eventualy pause again etc., backing off the overclock fixed it..other then this Im just sure what would cause it? if your not overclocking at least make sure the fan is running on your card =)

Nausicaa
09-13-03, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not overclocking my card.

Forgive me for my obvious lack of knowledge regarding PC hardware, but how do I check if the fan is still running? Is it safe to open her up while it's running?

LuminousFriend
09-14-03, 02:47 AM
"Forgive me for my obvious lack of knowledge regarding PC hardware, but how do I check if the fan is still running? Is it safe to open her up while it's running?"

To open the computer case while it's running?

Sure!

But be careful not to let your hand and face be sucked in by the negative internal pressure caused by the spinning case fans... You might also have to dodge a few electrical arcs...

/just kidding :angel:

My own case is just a bare frame, I lost the metal sides covers a long time ago, so don't worry about opening it...

SeriousWorm
09-14-03, 05:17 AM
Try downclocking the card first; if it's a cooling problem then the card should work while downclocked.