PDA

View Full Version : STEAM network assesment

Pages : [1] 2

GlowStick
09-13-03, 07:20 PM
Hi,

With many of us trying to get steam to work "arg!" everyone is plauged with slow downloads, that never finish.

Its idealy a P2P network with a STRONG backbone of dedicated servers to release the files, but it dose not seem to be working with CS 1.6, no one can get the files, and it seems to be faling badly.

CS 1.6 is a 300mb download, anyone want to predict what will happen with HL2 if its 700mb - 1.5gigs?

Sazar
09-13-03, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Hi,

With many of us trying to get steam to work "arg!" everyone is plauged with slow downloads, that never finish.

Its idealy a P2P network with a STRONG backbone of dedicated servers to release the files, but it dose not seem to be working with CS 1.6, no one can get the files, and it seems to be faling badly.

CS 1.6 is a 300mb download, anyone want to predict what will happen with HL2 if its 700mb - 1.5gigs?

I will tell you next year when I finish dling it... thank you very much :D

GlowStick
09-13-03, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
I will tell you next year when I finish dling it... thank you very much :D Hehe, im in slow BitTorrent line right now : O, im uploainding more than i am downloading too heh!

I am hopeing Valve will buy more bandwith or (bursting bandwith) and alot more, espically if people are PAYING for it. people who just want the free stuff will have to fend for em self ; p

hehe, as i have experinced the, EverQuest Launch, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies........ they allways think they are prepared, and they get so hammerd no one gets the file, witch would competlely break up the P2P strucutre.

Maybe they can make it where the Fast people get it first, so they can get more bandwith, but it may not work that way : O

Sazar
09-13-03, 07:31 PM
steam appears to have gotten progressively worse after the inital few updates in the beta...

I am still waiting for the media link to come back so I can dl the hl2 videos :)

GlowStick
09-13-03, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
steam appears to have gotten progressively worse after the inital few updates in the beta...

I am still waiting for the media link to come back so I can dl the hl2 videos :) Yeah, i defiantly think that since it is p2p, their whole problem is no one gets it, but i predict after a week or 2 it will clear up and everyone can acheive 100k+ speeds.

A clever plan Valve could do is like a week before their release, start secretly uploading hl2 to peoples computer as encrypted data packets, then on the same day unencryptthem to people who buy it and boom, you have people that can share hl2 and your dedicated servers too.

Sazar
09-13-03, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Yeah, i defiantly think that since it is p2p, their whole problem is no one gets it, but i predict after a week or 2 it will clear up and everyone can acheive 100k+ speeds.

A clever plan Valve could do is like a week before their release, start secretly uploading hl2 to peoples computer as encrypted data packets, then on the same day unencryptthem to people who buy it and boom, you have people that can share hl2 and your dedicated servers too.

lol... that would be really kewl... :)

but yah.. I have a friend who is worknig with the steam team (well he is kept updated lets just say)

he says within a week or so things will settle down...

RAY16
09-13-03, 08:49 PM
Hopefully steam will get better after a week or two.

saturnotaku
09-14-03, 12:58 AM
STEAM freaking blows. It hogs bandwidth when it decides it wants to connect.

This is a $25 idea that suffers from $0.25 execution. I hope they either 1) improve it drastically in time for the game's release or 2) drop it all together. I'd much rather see the latter.

GlowStick
09-14-03, 03:04 AM
I want to give Steam some credit, in the Beta, i would read a news post that said 'new HL2 movie released', then i thought to my self Oh man, i need to download it, let me get steam on it, and BOOM, i already had it!

However, Steam would work alot better if your steam ID also had a bandwith share rateing. Such as, if some guy has a really fast upload, and leave its on all day. Then when a new patch comes out, and he gets it from the Dedicated servers first, since he shares alot and can upload fast, then it gets distributed even faster, then it goes tier by tear of upload speeds who get it, untill a point, where it goes ffa and everyone gets it 300k+ if you can handle that much downstream.

basicly you get a rateing for shareing more and haveing more bandiwth

Edge
09-14-03, 03:36 AM
When I downloaded the Steam client (the real client, not the bloated 400 megabyte file that contains a bunch of games I don't want to play and already have on my computer), I thought I was downloading Steam. But I found out I was actually downloading the shell which downloads the client updates, which catagorizes my HL games, which converts the games to a temp file, which configures itself to let me play the games that I once had no problem playing onto a system the devil himself must have created. And on top of that, it uses up what little bandwidth I have to send files to other steam members. Yeah, great idea guys, make my 56k TOTALLY unusable on what is the future platform for all your games without providing a benefit to anyone else (like they're going to notice the extra 3 k/s).

Not to mention it takes forever to do anything in it (I click "games", and the games menu magicly comes up a few minutes later! Then I click on the game, and it sits on the "prepairing to play" screen for another 5 minutes! Isn't technology grand?). Also, I would REALLY like to know how something that is basicly just a box with buttons in it uses up 30 megs of ram.

Sorry, I'm just venting a little STEAM (I know, it was bad) over trying to get this damn thing working. In fact, I managed to write this ENTIRE post while I was waiting for Steam to connect me to the Counter-strike game server.

GlowStick
09-14-03, 03:47 AM
Heh, yeah, defiantly dial up users are getting the SHAFT.

I had your client installed, and it wanted to 'update' it would just freeze or lock up.

Then i downloaded the biggun at 380mb, and now i can play CS fine, the others just try to download and freeze.

Anyways, i definatly think your gonna have to find a friend that will burn the cache on cd, or the installer.

Edge
09-14-03, 04:17 AM
Still...waiting...at "Prepairing to Play" screen...:banghead:

Think...happy...thoughts...

Must...buy...gun...

Must...find...Valve...:kill:

Sigh, well, it's not the first time I've had to download something large, I guess I'm stuck doing that (none of my friend's live close by me and it will be a while before a LAN). Hell, I even downloaded the Planetside 7-day trial on my 56k. But it seems really, really stupid that I have to download all of the CS files in the Steam installer when I have CS on my computer already! Talk about inefficient...I have a feeling I'm going to miss WON when it's gone...

GlowStick
09-14-03, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Still...waiting...at "Prepairing to Play" screen...:banghead:

Think...happy...thoughts...

Must...buy...gun...

Must...find...Valve...:kill:

Sigh, well, it's not the first time I've had to download something large, I guess I'm stuck doing that (none of my friend's live close by me and it will be a while before a LAN). Hell, I even downloaded the Planetside 7-day trial on my 56k. But it seems really, really stupid that I have to download all of the CS files in the Steam installer when I have CS on my computer already! Talk about inefficient...I have a feeling I'm going to miss WON when it's gone... Yeah, guess what everyone is gonna need at your next lan though.

a internet connection heh.

Edge
09-14-03, 03:00 PM
What? But...but Gabe confirmed that you DON'T need an internet connection for lan games. And you better not, or else...*straps on vest made of dynamite*

GlowStick
09-14-03, 03:05 PM
What? But...but Gabe confirmed that you DON'T need an internet connection for lan games. And you better not, or else...*straps on vest made of dynamite* Ah, i must of missed it, yay to lan games then : D

Edge
09-14-03, 03:26 PM
ARG! WTF is this now?!? I can't log on to the Steam network (it says it's either down or I don't have an internet connection...OBVIOUSLY I HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION!), and I try to close the program and it gives me this:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/edge2/steamed.jpg

What? Children? Now Steam is a pedaphile, too?

GlowStick
09-14-03, 03:37 PM
Heh, i got the exact same error, i rebooted and it went away.

Edge
09-14-03, 04:08 PM
WHY THE F*** ARE YOU UPDATING OPPOSING FORCE?!?! I don't play Opposing Force, I specificly told it NOT to update Opposing Force, WHY ARE YOU STILL USING ALL MY BANDWIDTH TO UPDATE IT!
STOP!
STOP IT!
STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:

GlowStick
09-14-03, 04:10 PM
WHY THE F*** ARE YOU UPDATING OPPOSING FORCE?!?! I don't play Opposing Force, I specificly told it NOT to update Opposing Force, WHY ARE YOU STILL USING ALL MY BANDWIDTH TO UPDATE IT!
STOP!
STOP IT!
STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead: ahhhhhhhhh

i steam suddenly forgot that i have CS installed and now wants to and i QUOTE

"Steam needs to download 350mb to update CS"

sdafl;sadflsdfjsdalflsda;jlfsdafpsdasldk;f

StealthHawk
09-14-03, 05:44 PM
This says it all: http://www.steampowered.com/status.html

Look at all those servers down :p

GlowStick
09-14-03, 05:48 PM
Yeah, i think most people who promiced bandwith backed out.

Im not sure what valve was offering htem, but a crappy picture saying "bandiwht provided by" isnt cutting it heh.

I hope they buy alot of their own dedicated servers : O

rth
09-14-03, 06:10 PM
ARG! WTF is this now?!? I can't log on to the Steam network (it says it's either down or I don't have an internet connection...OBVIOUSLY I HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION!), and I try to close the program and it gives me this:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/edge2/steamed.jpg

What? Children? Now Steam is a pedaphile, too?

lol

rth
09-14-03, 06:11 PM
STOP!
STOP IT!
STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:STOP IT:banghead:

lol

Phyre
09-15-03, 12:18 AM
I got the "PreCondition Asserstion Failed" error also. So, I stopped Steam via task manager, restarted it, and got the same error. Thinking that it might be a memory error, I fired up MaxMem from AnalogX and performed a normal freeing of the memory. Restarted Steam, and I didn't get the error again. This may be a temporary fix...dunno.

Phyre

GlowStick
09-15-03, 12:20 AM
Hm, now, it refuses to pop up, though its running when windows starts.

sometimes if i 'run it' again it will show up.

sometimes not, its very fickel.