PDA

View Full Version : My rig hates nVidia

AnteP
09-15-03, 12:35 PM
Look at this crap:
http://www.nordichardware.se/UndaC/nogo.jpg

I simply cannot install any nVidia videocard on my rig, it only installs as an unkown device and upon restart it won't initialize my display at all

ATi boards work just fine, only nVidia boards are affected by this problem

there's simply no way to install a new driver
this happened after I uninstalled Detonator 51.75
I don't want to do a freakkin' clean install of windows (already tried repair and it didn't help) so has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

so some advice, steer clear off Det 51.75
I found to many bugs (missing textures, crashing games, lowered image quality etc.) in it and it didn't seem to have the flicker fix so I decided to go back to 45.33... but no sir. now my whole windoze install is fuxxored and I can't seem to solve it :(

Gator
09-15-03, 02:35 PM
try the Windows restore point from a coupel days ago, might fix everything. If that doesn't work, then try this:

1) try booting in Windows safe/vga mode.
2) Then go to the device manager and completely remove all video cards listed.
3) Then goto My Computer and search the computer for ANY Nvidia related files, and delete them. You wanna make sure you remove all traces of those DET5's especially.
4) Then use a registry cleaning program (i like Norton WinDoctor myself)
5) reboot into Windows normally. When it starts Windows it'll detect new hardware found
6)either extract the Detonator package and give New Hardware Wizard that file location, or just cancel out of that screen and simply install the Detonators by double-clicking the self-extraction file from Nvidia.

good luck

PS - if you wanna fix the flickering problem I hear all you need to do is lower the fan speed. Of course it may limit your overclockability, but it's worth it

Miester_V
09-15-03, 02:38 PM
Maybe your computer heard about the news lately concerning nVidia, and got so disgusted that it refused to make the card run properly. It's a guess. :D

sebazve
09-15-03, 03:38 PM
try using drivercleaner from www.driverheaven.net its a great tool to get rid of those nasty files that are keep after an uninstallation of drivers.

ClyssaN
09-15-03, 03:53 PM
I must say that the Windows restore option is very nice, it has saved me from a refresh install in some situations, try a restore point before the det50.

Skuzzy
09-15-03, 04:28 PM
Just a hunch AnteP. Try re-installing DX.

AnteP
09-15-03, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Gator
try the Windows restore point from a coupel days ago, might fix everything. If that doesn't work, then try this:

1) try booting in Windows safe/vga mode.
2) Then go to the device manager and completely remove all video cards listed.
3) Then goto My Computer and search the computer for ANY Nvidia related files, and delete them. You wanna make sure you remove all traces of those DET5's especially.
4) Then use a registry cleaning program (i like Norton WinDoctor myself)
5) reboot into Windows normally. When it starts Windows it'll detect new hardware found
6)either extract the Detonator package and give New Hardware Wizard that file location, or just cancel out of that screen and simply install the Detonators by double-clicking the self-extraction file from Nvidia.

good luck

PS - if you wanna fix the flickering problem I hear all you need to do is lower the fan speed. Of course it may limit your overclockability, but it's worth it

Tried all of the above.
But lowering the fan speed, how would I do that?

AnteP
09-15-03, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sebazve
try using drivercleaner from www.driverheaven.net its a great tool to get rid of those nasty files that are keep after an uninstallation of drivers.

tried it, did not do any difference at all

AnteP
09-15-03, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ClyssaN
I must say that the Windows restore option is very nice, it has saved me from a refresh install in some situations, try a restore point before the det50.

I turned off system restore upon my first reboot after installing windows, has never worked for me in the past (ok so it's not as bad as it was with Win ME, but it has never solved a single problem for me)
just hogs resources, not least HDD space

Dazz
09-15-03, 07:22 PM
Try the roll back driver option.

AnteP
09-15-03, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Just a hunch AnteP. Try re-installing DX.

there's no way to reinstall directx, if you launch the installer it will simply check your system, conclude that the latest version is installed and then say "finished"

though perhaps I coulkd use some sort of DirectX eradicator

AnteP
09-15-03, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Try the roll back driver option.

it's installed as VGASave, there's no driver to roll back to
it doesn't even show up as a videocard and I can't update the driver to a detonator driver (ie I cant update the VGASave driver to a proper videocard driver)

PreservedSwine
09-15-03, 07:31 PM
So you won't even get a signal to moniter w/ the nVidia card in?

Pop in the ATI card, without ATI drivers, and re-install a version of DET's you like.

Turn it off, and pop in the Nvidia card, re-start....

Good luck...:(

Skuzzy
09-15-03, 07:41 PM
AnteP, if you remove the file d3d9.dll it should re-install.

AnteP
09-15-03, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
So you won't even get a signal to moniter w/ the nVidia card in?

Pop in the ATI card, without ATI drivers, and re-install a version of DET's you like.

Turn it off, and pop in the Nvidia card, re-start....

Good luck...:(

Yeah I do get a signal.

Forcing an install of any det will not work in the current state. the screen simply goes black when loading windows if I try. (Since the rig now refuses to recognize nvidia boards as videocards at all, instead it calls it "unknown device")

AnteP
09-15-03, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
AnteP, if you remove the file d3d9.dll it should re-install.

I'll try it, thanks.

windwaver
09-16-03, 02:55 AM
If everything else fails, format.

bkswaney
09-16-03, 04:38 AM
It looks like a format may be needed.

Greg
09-16-03, 08:15 AM
Don't format for wacky driver problems. If all else fails, put your boot from your windows CD, go through to install and select repair instalation. You lose ALL your drivers, but NONE of your applications and settings. Easy, done it many times when changing motherboards and hardware around.

If that still fails for some reason, re-install windows over the top of the last install. Then you will lose your App links, but none of your data. Just reinstall your apps. One tip with this method though: Rename your User folders to allow you to use the same ones afresh.

Skuzzy
09-16-03, 10:36 AM
Just an FYI for most everyone. If you need to re-install DX, you can grab the Microsoft SDK for DX and use it. It has the retail drivers in it and it will stomp on any installation of DX.

brunoco
09-16-03, 06:38 PM
you might want to know that the Det 51.75 contrary to what others aid also fix my flicker and i really had bad flickering with 3d games yet the core temp is back at normal levels and not the +12C extra with the 45.33. So for the 5900 is a intriguing driver it also made my card perform better. And i dont have rollback to old drivers problem.

Kromulis
09-16-03, 06:51 PM
Go to your registry and delete Nvida keys from it.

Go to hkey_local_machine>software>nvidia and delete it. Then go to hkey_current_user>software>nvidia and delete.

You might want do also use a program like nVHardpage and use it to clear all direct3d and opengl keys.

AnteP
09-16-03, 06:53 PM
Tried everything mentioned in this thread and much much more, ended up with a fresh install of windows. (As mentioned a repair didn't work... funny how you always get recommendations to do stuff you've already mentioned that you've tried when you ask for help on the net. ;) )

Got a later Det50 build that I'm playing with now. And so far it seems to work apart from some of the bugs I saw in 51.75 that are still present. (Though most of those bugs are present in yet unreleased games so I'm not bitching about it just yet: beta driver + beta game = I have no right to complain whatsoever).

BTW I'm not using a 5600 as the picture might imply. I'm currently running a 5900 Ultra, I just tried using the 5600 in my desperate attempts to get an nvidia board working in my rig.

Greg
09-20-03, 06:10 AM
Believe it or not, I have this exact same proble right now. But not from installing new Det drivers, from uninstalling nForce drivers! I moved an old hard disk to another machine (non nForce MB). Everything was fine untill I decided to uninstall drivers and apps that didn't need to be there. Now, just as you describe, I can't see any video card in this machine. The only display driver option is ATI !!!

Greg
09-20-03, 06:59 AM
Problem solved!

After wasting an hour repairing windows to no avail, I was up to installing service pack 1, then motherboard drivers and it dawned on me... Until I install the SiS (brand) AGP driver, windows can't identify the AGP video card, so I installed the AGP driver, and windows immediatly found new hardware... a nVidia video card, which it installed default drivers for and allowed me to update as usual.

My guess AnteP is you managed to corrupt your AGP/Motherboard drivers also, and had no joy until you did a full reinstall.