PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, please help.

TheZsenyka
09-17-03, 06:15 AM
Hi All!

Unfortunately i was unable to sell my Asus 9950 FX5900 128MB card, not a phone call in 4 days. I wanted to buy a 9800PRO but as I can't sell this card, I have decided not to waste any more money on another video card.

Now I have a chance to trade the aforementioned card for a Built by Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB card 1:1.

I have rummaged around the benchmark sites to compare the two cards but I did not come up with anything useful except for the HL2 test.

Shall I trade it for the ATI card??? I don't trust Anandtech/HardOCP/Tom's hardware anymore so I need personal advices, recommendations.

Please help.

Dark Jedi
09-17-03, 06:28 AM
Hmm, might not be a bad trade. I used a 9700 Pro before upgrading to my 9800 Pro, and had no probs. It's still a very good performer... :)

sbp
09-17-03, 06:30 AM
Hi TheZsenyka: I have read your previous posts (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=195882#post195882) on your plight to be rid of this card.

I'd want something extra to come with the Radeon 9700 pro.

nVidi0t
09-17-03, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't trade a 5900 for a 9700 Pro, purely because the difference in value is too high.

Did you try putting the 5900 on Ebay?

sbp
09-17-03, 06:53 AM
He lives in Hungary and has already talked about how he can't ebay it in his prior posts.

Talking with Europeans I know the cost and value of ATI and Nvidia cards are different from here. So a videocard that is worth a certain amount here, may cost and be worth more over there compared to its rivals.

I think a 1:1 trade ends up with TheZsenyka getting the short end of the stick.

It also depends on if he is comfortable with such a 1:1 trade and how much he wants to get rid of the 5900.

No nibbles in 4 days not a real positive sign. http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/hmm.gif
Personally I'd like at least a good game or beer packaged with the 9700 Pro. Of course I always want good beer. http://home.earthlink.net/~sbp777/smilies/givemebeer.gif

TheZsenyka
09-17-03, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by sbp
He lives in Hungary and has already talked about how he can't ebay it in his prior posts.

Talking with Europeans I know the cost and value of ATI and Nvidia cards are different from here. So a videocard that is worth a certain amount here, may cost and be worth more over there compared to its rivals.

I think a 1:1 trade ends up with TheZsenyka getting the short end of the stick.

It also depends on if he is comfortable with such a 1:1 trade and how much he wants to get rid of the 5900.
Personally I'd like at least a good game or beer packaged with the 9700 Pro. Of course I always want good beer. http://home.earthlink.net/~sbp777/smilies/givemebeer.gif

Thanx for explaining the facts concerning my eBay-ing problem. :)

Yea, the beer sounds cool. At least it worth a try.

A new BBA ATI RADEON 9700PRO 128MB costs about 500$ here. No kidding. It's probably because of the 25% VAT :) And here in Hungary the montly salaries are about 450$. Probably that is the reason I can't sell it here. Roarr... even my salary as software developer is about 1100$ a month.

GlowStick
09-17-03, 11:57 AM
Hello,

I would not trade a 5900 Ultra for a 9700Pro, your Ultra is just worth to much.

However, if you could trade your card for a 9800Pro 256mb id say thats a compeltely fair trade (price wise) i would also consider a 128mb 9800pro if you are really desprate?

Id just look for someone who wants to buy it, or wait, it dosent mean you will not beable to play HL2 above 60fps, you can use the dx8.1 path witch will run fast, and see for your self how HL2 will preform and look.

digitalwanderer
09-17-03, 12:01 PM
I'd do what your heart tells you to on this one, I love my 9700 Pro to pieces and don't plan on upgrading before Half-life2 since I'm confident it'll run it just fine for me. :cool:

TheZsenyka
09-17-03, 02:23 PM
Thank you for you all for sharing your opinions concerning my video card problem. Now it is solved. As nobody wanted to buy it i have visited a second hand computer store and bought myself a Sapphire 9800PRO 256MB DDR2 (they are also selling new hw) and I throw in my ASUS 5900 and payed 150$. :)

To my suprise, the 9800 is almost as big as my ASUS was however the cooling solution looks a 'bit' smaller :)

Well, I'm totally happy with my new card I can tell you.

As for NVIDIA, i was absolutely statisfied with their products until the FX came in. I owned TNT, TNT2, GeForce256, GeForce2 MX, MX400, GeForce2, GeForce2 Titanium, GeForce3 Ti200, Ti500, GeForce4 Ti4200 and... well, I also had in my possession an FX5900... All cards before the FX gave me a comfort and statisfactory. That last one was a huge disappointment (I never had 5800 so I can't really say anything personal about that one.)

Hopefully NVIDIA will come up with some overkiller gfx card in the future. Really, I don't understand why Nvidia don't pay more attention to image quality???

I think this nice piece of hardware (the ATI) will remain in my computer for a while.

Once again, thank you for your help people!

May the 'God of The 3D Cards' be with you all!

Dark Jedi
09-17-03, 02:33 PM
Nice card you got there, enjoy it! :D

GlowStick
09-17-03, 02:33 PM
Cool, thats pritty nice that you found a store that buys and sells. I guess all you have to do is get ready for some Half Life 2 Action!