PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Academy shipped.

Pages : [1] 2

Mike89
09-17-03, 10:21 AM
My copy of Jedi Academy has been shipped from EBgames. Cool. I have been hearing that this game is causing some problems running on ATI cards from people who have played the demo. I sure hope this is not the case. I hate game problems. I dunno why there should be problems since it's using the same (or slightly modified) Q3 engine as Jedi 2 did. I have never had any problems whatsoever with Q3 engine games and hope this one isn't the first. Anyway, looking forward to the game.

digitalwanderer
09-17-03, 10:30 AM
Make sure you enable "triple-buffering" under your openGL additional options, it made the game MUCH smoother for me. :)

Dark Jedi
09-17-03, 12:42 PM
Sweet... roll on 19/09, when I can get my hands on it here in the UK. I need a Star Wars fix until KOTOR arrives. :D

Mike89
09-17-03, 12:49 PM
Hmm DW (hint, DW doesn't stand for Darrell Waltrup or Digital Wanderer ;) ). Is this another one of those Digital Warez things? Hmm. So DW, since you seem to be in the know on these things :eek: , just how does the game run compared to other Q3 engine games (such as EF2)? :p

I guess from now on when a new game is being shipped to me, I'll just ask you how the game is so I'll know what to expect. Heh heh

Dark Jedi
09-17-03, 12:56 PM
I think the Dig's just played the demo, that's all. :)

digitalwanderer
09-17-03, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Hmm DW (hint, DW doesn't stand for Darrell Waltrup or Digital Wanderer). Is this another one of those Digital Warez things? Hmm. So DW, since you seem to be in the know on these things :eek: , just how does the game run compared to other Q3 engine games (such as EF2)?
I wouldn't know what you're talking about, but hypothetically speaking I'd say that once I enabled triple-buffering it ran just as well as JKII for me.

I'd hypothetically be running it at 1024x768@32 4xAA 8xAF w/v-sync on and getting about mainly 75-85fps, but some dips to the 30's on some bad levels. (Which I would hypothetically attribute to an alpha build)

GREAT game, you'll love it...but I haven't quite figured out how to hypothetically get realistic saber combat enabled on it and I'm kind of waiting to see the final build before I write up a guide to tweaking it. (It hypothetically has all the same cheats as JKII, including the helpusobi 1 trick. ;) )

Mike89
09-17-03, 01:10 PM
I was going to respond to Dark Jedi who said you MUST be playing the demo. I was going to say to him, "don't bet on it". Hypothetically speaking of course. LOL!

digitalwanderer
09-17-03, 01:13 PM
Hey, I need my "unlimited bullet-time" cheat! (timescale .3 ;) )

Some people play games for the challenge, I prefer to be an unstoppable juggernaut of death with insanely fast reflexes...to each their own. :lol:

Mike89
09-17-03, 01:30 PM
Seems you also like another challange of getting games before most other people do. I'm trying to figure out if that was a hypothetical statement or not. This hypothetical stuff is kinda complex. :rolleyes:

digitalwanderer
09-17-03, 01:33 PM
Hypthetically speaking, yes. :cool:

CaptNKILL
09-17-03, 06:19 PM
The demo of this game was almost as much fun as a crushed-ice enima.... almost.

Pafet
09-17-03, 06:45 PM
Can anyone try those volumetric (or projected or something like that) shadows ? there was an option for self-shadowing that didn't work well on the first one, and also in EF2 (link (http://virtual2002.tau.ac.il/users/www/6886/elite.jpg) )

It also came with a frame drop (on all cards)

Edge
09-17-03, 08:22 PM
Ahh, I think you mean the Volumetric Shadows. Well they've been improved (they no longer appear to randomly "shine" where there's no walls), but they do seem to still incure a big performence hit. Not sure if the hit is less on a 9x00 or FX card (I'm only using a GF4 right now), but it does seem that on older hardware there's still a big performence drop. Also, for some reason I didn't notice it as much in the Jedi Academy demo as I did with JK2. But I'm pretty sure it's more of a CPU limited feature, I got the same framerate at 1024x768 as I did with 640x480 with volumetric shadows on.

RoachMojo
09-17-03, 09:37 PM
Well, I just got the full version.

At 1024x768x32 with 4xAA and AF maxed in-game, I get about 45-80 fps. However, if I enable volumetric shadows, I drop from 45-50 fps to 32 fps....wow, what a huge performance hit.

AND...when I touch ANYTHING with the lightsaber, framerate drops to about 12-20...wtf is up with that? JKJO did not do that.

[EDIT] I just loaded up JKJO and it performs perfectly, so it must be the game. Hmm...

Anyone else having this problem?

StealthHawk
09-18-03, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Pafet
Can anyone try those volumetric (or projected or something like that) shadows ? there was an option for self-shadowing that didn't work well on the first one, and also in EF2 (link (http://virtual2002.tau.ac.il/users/www/6886/elite.jpg) )

It also came with a frame drop (on all cards)

I hated volumetric shadows in the first JK were just messed up. They looked nice, but they didn't interact with the environment realistically at all.

Pafet
09-18-03, 08:11 AM
Thats a shme, cause those shadows look really good on those storm troopers. their "blocky" outfit makes it perfect for those kind of shadows

Mike89
09-18-03, 04:56 PM
Anyone remember the shadows from SOF2? Guy would be laying down and the shadow would be hovering above him like a ghost or guys sitting at tables and the shadows would be on top of the table looking like they were getting ready to play cards or something. Heh heh

RoachMojo
09-18-03, 07:53 PM
Fixed my performance problem with the lightsaber (when making contact with any object).

You must disable forcefeedback in control options. Found this on one of the JKJA forums.

Mike89
09-18-03, 09:52 PM
Man I'm only getting around 35 fps at 1024x768x32, FSAA 4X, 8X Aniso, vsync off, Very high texture setting. I was getting 90-100 fps in JK2 with same settings.

RoachMojo
09-18-03, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike89
Man I'm only getting around 35 fps at 1024x768x32, FSAA 4X, 8X Aniso, vsync off, Very high texture setting. I was getting 90-100 fps in JK2 with same settings.

Mike:

I tested at the part where you are training (Yavin2) and have to force jump over the gap in the stone bridge. I am standing right at the edge of where you have to jump, saber on, and looking all around to get the absolute highs and lows.

With the same settings as you (with EAX on):

Simple shadows: 35-52 fps.
Volumetric shadows: 27-32 fps.

Did you have the Vshadows on? I was also getting the same framerates in JK2. What a hog of a game this is!

Mike89
09-19-03, 12:30 AM
I dunno, I can't figure this out. I have not gone above 40 fps at all either with vsync on or off. EAX off. And that's turning texture setting from very high to high, turning Aniso all the way off, even overclocking my cpu. Still exactly the same fps. I played a little further and was getting 25 fps. Weird, when I would stand in the same spot, save, load again I would get 30 fps, and as soon as I moved the mouse, it dropped down to 25 (and below) fps and even going back to the same spot, could not get the 30 fps back. Something weird is going on, either with this game or my system. This has got me pissed. This is all with just simple shadows.

Mike89
09-19-03, 01:06 AM
Ok, I got it running now around 90 fps.

In the game options menu I disabled Dynamic Glow. Dunno what that setting does but I notice no difference visually. Before, I also had some white screen flashes while playing. I don't have it anymore now. This is more like it, the game is now playing as fast as JK2 did for me. Had me worried there for a minute.

I can't recall any of my gaming experiences to be quite like this one. I mean in any given place in the game to change from 25 fps to 90 fps by changing one setting is quite incredible. Something is amiss here, either a game or driver issue big time.

Now if I can only figure out how to make the dismemberment work like JK2 did.

RoachMojo
09-19-03, 01:17 PM
I'll turn that Dynamic glow off to see it improves performance.

vampireuk
09-20-03, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
Sweet... roll on 19/09, when I can get my hands on it here in the UK. I need a Star Wars fix until KOTOR arrives. :D

oo its out? Now?

Excuse me:D

vampireuk
09-20-03, 10:49 AM
Meh

I love the game but unfortunatly it has a very very very annoying problem. If I die and reload my saved game, the entire thing locks up and I have to reboot:mad: