PDA

View Full Version : Will ABS PC exchange the 5900 Ultra in the system they sold me for a 9800 Pro?

Pages : [1] 2

ishak540m
09-18-03, 03:48 AM
Do you think that ABS PC will exchange the 5900 Ultra I included in the system for a Radeon 9800 Pro? System has been here for a month but decided on a crappy video card. Or would you just keep the card and wait out for the R420 and see what the Det 5*.** will do?

silence
09-18-03, 04:13 AM
considering that Dets 5x.xx lower your IQ ( if you use them ) i would do my best to switch to ATi.....

digitalwanderer
09-18-03, 09:27 AM
I would contact them right now and find out...don't put it off. They may or may not have heard about the HL2 bencmark results yet...

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 11:00 AM
Although you never know, I'd be inclined to doubt it. ABS might not accept the reason for return as "this card sucks," without maybe charging you some kind of restocking fee or whatever.

Dazz
09-18-03, 11:05 AM
I agree, it maybe unlikely as the system was bought as is. But you might get lucky but they may charge you.

digitalwanderer
09-18-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Although you never know, I'd be inclined to doubt it. ABS might not accept the reason for return as "this card sucks," without maybe charging you some kind of restocking fee or whatever.
Heh, tell 'em it makes a weird buzzing sound and flickers when you scroll your mouse instead.... ;) (I learned that trick with my local phone company, they only guaranteed connection speeds to 14.4k and if you're getting that they won't check your line, but if you complain of a mild buzzing or or static you can hear on your line they're obliged to do a line check and try and clean-up your signal....got me from 28.8 to 52k before I got the broadband. ;) )

ishak540m
09-18-03, 02:04 PM
What's the best Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB card available then? They have a saphire.

digitalwanderer
09-18-03, 02:12 PM
Built by ATi, Saphire, Hercules, and VisionTek are all names I feel comfortable recomending.

I would caution you AGAINST Powercolor cards, they have a nasty tendancy to sell underclocked cards and only mention that they're underclocked in the very, very, very fine print buried somewhere on their website. If you decide to get a Powercolor card make SURE before you buy it what clockspeeds it's supposed to do.

GlowStick
09-18-03, 02:16 PM
Its really up to the company, id say the first rule is when you ask them dont be a jerk on the phone, and try to be nice.

Also, maybe you could consider playing dumb and for some reason you just want a new card.

If all else fails, i mean there is allwasy *ugh* ebay .

ishak540m
09-18-03, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Its really up to the company, id say the first rule is when you ask them dont be a jerk on the phone, and try to be nice.

Also, maybe you could consider playing dumb and for some reason you just want a new card.

If all else fails, i mean there is allwasy *ugh* ebay .

I'm going with the "It's not DirectX 9 capable as advertised" route given the precision issues and Gabe Newell's, and John Carmack's comments.

I think it worked.

schuey74
09-18-03, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Heh, tell 'em it makes a weird buzzing sound and flickers when you scroll your mouse instead.... ;) (I learned that trick with my local phone company, they only guaranteed connection speeds to 14.4k and if you're getting that they won't check your line, but if you complain of a mild buzzing or or static you can hear on your line they're obliged to do a line check and try and clean-up your signal....got me from 28.8 to 52k before I got the broadband. ;) )

I used the same trick a long time ago when my 28.8 wouldn't connect at anything higher than 14.4. I later upgraded to 33.6 and then 56k and I would usually connect at 49.??. Just goes to show how ten minutes on the phone probably saved me days worth of loading pages during those dial up years!

saturnotaku
09-18-03, 03:38 PM
Sapphire is very good (they build the cards that are sold in the Built by ATI boxes) and I'm having all kinds of good luck with this Connect3D card in my machine right now.

But definitely be nice at first, give it to 'em straight - if they won'tbe cooperative then feel free to get nasty. :)

ishak540m
09-18-03, 03:58 PM
Sapphire is very good (they build the cards that are sold in the Built by ATI boxes) and I'm having all kinds of good luck with this Connect3D card in my machine right now.

But definitely be nice at first, give it to 'em straight - if they won'tbe cooperative then feel free to get nasty. :)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Perfectly civil explaining the practices of late by Nvidia and everything paid off. I will be exchanging my EVGA 5900 Ultra with a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card. GOD BLESS ABS!

WHO'S IMPRESSED?

IISquintsII
09-19-03, 02:39 AM
So they actually exchanged it????

digitalwanderer
09-19-03, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by ishak540m
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Perfectly civil explaining the practices of late by Nvidia and everything paid off. I will be exchanging my EVGA 5900 Ultra with a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card. GOD BLESS ABS!

WHO'S IMPRESSED?
Congratulations to you on taking the high road and still getting what ya want and a tip of me hat to ABS for being supey-cool with ya about it! :cool:

ishak540m
09-19-03, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by IISquintsII
So they actually exchanged it????

they will yes. I'm waiting for them to get a 256 MB back in stock for me.

saturnotaku
09-19-03, 10:35 AM
IIRC, ABS computer is a division of Newegg. So perhaps it's not all that surprising that they were able to accomodate you. :cool:

Congrats and good luck with that new card. You're going to love it.

jAkUp
09-19-03, 10:39 AM
yes you will love it:)
i couldnt tell how much more i love my 9800 pro over my 5900

SnakeEyes
09-19-03, 12:04 PM
I was going to say that I was sure they'd exchange the cards, but probably for a fee. Glad to hear it worked out for you the way it did!

If I didn't have a 9700 Pro already, I'd be looking at a 256MB 9800 Pro now too. Great card! (Even though it's not all that much faster than my card, all these reviews and the experiences you guys post here are making me a lil' envious! :D).

I can't wait until next spring / summer (upgrade fever time again!).

GlowStick
09-19-03, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah, im very impressed with ABS for exchangeing it, but when you think about it, they will just send it back to the manufacuter and get their money back. No sweat off their back really, but most companys are stupid about stuff like that.

ishak540m
09-19-03, 04:46 PM
IIRC, ABS computer is a division of Newegg. So perhaps it's not all that surprising that they were able to accomodate you. :cool:

I had no idea they were. That explains their service.

Rogozhin
09-19-03, 06:28 PM
I have my wife make calls like this-the feminine charm goes much further than you can imagine ;)

rogo

ishak540m
09-19-03, 07:52 PM
Oh yeah, im very impressed with ABS for exchangeing it, but when you think about it, they will just send it back to the manufacuter and get their money back. No sweat off their back really, but most companys are stupid about stuff like that.

Nah, they'll probably just put it in another rig. :p

GlowStick
09-19-03, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ishak540m
Nah, they'll probably just put it in another rig. :p I doubt that, that would be a shady business pratice, and they dont seem to be shady.

But as someone who has close ties in the Sams Club' receving/shipping department, any company will take anything back.

Now ask your self (what about all these companys that are charging 15% restocking fee) yes, they are just ripping you off 15% of what you bought, they get a compelete refund from the manufacuter, no questions asked.

Personly i dont see why companys just dont take it back to gain a happy customer (you) who may give htem repeate business, weather then piss them off to no end.

ishak540m
09-19-03, 08:03 PM
I doubt that, that would be a shady business pratice, and they dont seem to be shady.

I was thinking more along the lines of if Nvidia was a computer reseller. lol. They'd definitely rip you off that way. :p